Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 22-07-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Sutty 90
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Penalty Charge Notice 'fine' help.

Hi,

I have received a penalty charge notice from one of these scamming car park company's. Does anyone have any advice for writing a letter to get it quashed? I don't intend on paying it but would rather nip it in the bud to avoid months of threatening harassment letters if possible.

The alleged offence was committed on the 10/06/18 and I received the letter on the 13/07/18. They have me on anpr entering and leaving the car park with times but don't state anywhere what I've actually done wrong and why they are charging me this fine. I did pay on the day and stuck to the times but no longer have the ticket.

Any advice from previous experience?

Thanks in advance,

Sutty.
Sutty 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 11:10 PM   #2
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,675 Times in 4,232 Posts
You'll need to establish what they are pursuing you for. That would be the first step.

Is there time limits on staying and did the photos show you exceeding that?

Also don't ignore it. There is plenty of example now where the threatening letters do end up with action.

Last edited by Kerr; 22-07-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
There’s a template letter you can send.

Google it, car park charge letter or something.

I sent it off before and they gave up, if I know I’ve been to long in the car park, bit naughty but I cover the rear number plate then I’ve once gone through the camera uncover it again.

Last edited by Pauly.22; 23-07-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Pauly.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pauly.22 For This Useful Post:
kh904 (12-08-2018), TonyH38 (24-07-2018), VW STEVE. (27-07-2018)
Old 23-07-2018, 12:15 AM   #4
c87reed
Orbital Oracle

Garage
I got a letter this week too, went to Mcds and hadn’t realised it was only a 60 minute limit. I’m not holding out much hope for getting out of it but they aren’t exactly small change either.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 02:18 AM   #5
Darlofan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by c87reed View Post
I got a letter this week too, went to Mcds and hadn’t realised it was only a 60 minute limit. I’m not holding out much hope for getting out of it but they aren’t exactly small change either.
Get on to Maccies. Play nice, explain you're in there a lot, meet clients, do business etc. Say you're disappointed as most have a 2 hr limit and you were caught out with this one. They'll cancel it for you. I had 2 from our local one, they cancelled them no problem.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,450 Times in 974 Posts
Garage
Treat it as a learning curve, pay the fine and move on.
It's less stress, saves reading hours of countless stories of how "i beat the fine" and then stories of "ended up in court paying ££££" leaving you still with unanswered questions, loosing sleep worrying etc. I got one and paid it, yes i lost £60 but I no longer worried about it, a friend of mine same car park same fine ignored it, tried all the letters he found online etc got nowhere, he carried on ignoring but was constantly worried about the threatening letters up until the bailiffs turned up with a i want to say just under £400 with costs bill. So months of stress leading to 6 times the original invoice. I know which conclusion i preferred.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
PaulaJayne
Orbital Oracle

[QUOTE=DLGWRX02;5484070]Treat it as a learning curve, pay the fine and move on.
QUOTE]

NO NO NO.

Do not pay

Go to http://forums.pepipoo.com/

The guys gals will give you the best advice.
PaulaJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulaJayne For This Useful Post:
bidderman1969 (02-08-2018), kh904 (12-08-2018), VW STEVE. (27-07-2018)
Old 23-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #8
johanr77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGWRX02 View Post
Treat it as a learning curve, pay the fine and move on.
It's less stress, saves reading hours of countless stories of how "i beat the fine" and then stories of "ended up in court paying ££££" leaving you still with unanswered questions, loosing sleep worrying etc. I got one and paid it, yes i lost £60 but I no longer worried about it, a friend of mine same car park same fine ignored it, tried all the letters he found online etc got nowhere, he carried on ignoring but was constantly worried about the threatening letters up until the bailiffs turned up with a i want to say just under £400 with costs bill. So months of stress leading to 6 times the original invoice. I know which conclusion i preferred.

Eh no don't do that.

Wife got one for overstaying at Morrisons car park in Aberdeen. Challenged it on ParkingEye's website, unsurprisingly they said no just pay up. DM'd Morrisons twitter account, gave them the reasons why she was in the store so long, they apologised for the distress and the fine has been ripped up.

A small amount of effort is all it really takes, but definitely challenge it from the get go. These firms are making their cash off the people being frightened into paying up quickly.
johanr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,450 Times in 974 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanr77 View Post
Eh no don't do that.

Wife got one for overstaying at Morrisons car park in Aberdeen. Challenged it on ParkingEye's website, unsurprisingly they said no just pay up. DM'd Morrisons twitter account, gave them the reasons why she was in the store so long, they apologised for the distress and the fine has been ripped up.

A small amount of effort is all it really takes, but definitely challenge it from the get go. These firms are making their cash off the people being frightened into paying up quickly.
Funnily enough both ours was in Morrison's in Norwich. Mine was and I explained that I had met up with my mother and done our Xmas shop and had a bite to eat in the cafe but they said it's out of our control and to Correspond directly with parking eye.. my work colleague was a few months after me and he told me all the issues he had. I said I knew I was in the wrong as I had overstayed by 20 mins the 3 hour limit. So I couldn't really dispute it. As I mentioned he tried to ignore and went through he'll worrying about it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DLGWRX02 For This Useful Post:
macca666 (23-07-2018)
Old 23-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #10
Andy1972
Washmitt Meister

if its a private company, such as a supermarket, and they have the correct signage displayed (usually by a company like parking eye) then they are effectively giving you permission to park on their land for the stated duration. They display what will happen if you don't abide by this. By using the car park you are agreeing to these terms

If you then don't abide by their terms (that you agreed to by remaining parked there) then you are on very weak ground legally.

I would pay the fine, make a note that it is under duress and you will appeal. You then wont get balifs knocking on the door in 6 months and you can then formulate a proper appeal to the company. I would start with the supermarket or whoever as they don't like bad press etc If they then refer you to the parking control company then you deal with them direct (but can still make a fuss on the supermarkets social media accounts)

Do not ignore it. Suffer the lowest fine and go from there.
Andy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andy1972 For This Useful Post:
DLGWRX02 (23-07-2018), macca666 (23-07-2018), Stoner (23-07-2018)