Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
westerman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thoughtless people?

I'm livid, went to clean my daughters car, nothing too detailed but an ONR wash and BSD wipe down, it always comes up really well as I did it a couple of months back with a decent prep and wax.
Just got it almost finished when the water board came to the house opposite.
He'd seen me cleaning the car, never said anything just got out his stone saw and started cutting up the drive. We were instantly showered in a cloud of stone dust, My car (which I had cleaned yesterday), my Daughters and a brand new Volvo in the adjoining drive.
Needless to say I had to abandon any further work and move my car quickly.But not before I had a few choice words to say to the bloke.

I know they have to do their job but he should have had the courtesy to warn me having seen me cleaning the car and at least knocked on the guy's door with the Volvo to give him chance to move it.I made it clear to him that he should have done that but he just put his head down and carried on

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
MBRuss

That's what people are like though. Same as the morons in car parks that see all the empty spaces, see your car miles away in the corner and then decide that rather than use any of the hundreds of adjacent empty spaces they will park an inch from your door mirror and open their door into your car.

Like WTF?!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MBRuss For This Useful Post:
Rowan83 (15-08-2018), stealthwolf (12-08-2018), Streeto (13-08-2018), Tykebike (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
suds

Garage
Complain to customer service at the water board
suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
Brian1612

Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRuss View Post
That's what people are like though. Same as the morons in car parks that see all the empty spaces, see your car miles away in the corner and then decide that rather than use any of the hundreds of adjacent empty spaces they will park an inch from your door mirror and open their door into your car.

Like WTF?!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Started a new job last week and parked like this on Monday. Literally 30+ spaces spare, 4-5 between me and the cars on my right with the left against the kerb.

Come out to head home, one of the machine workers sitting in his car with his door nearly on mines on his phone. He pulls it in and I head home. Notice on Tuesday a scuff mark about 3-4 inches along my drivers door

Luckily it buffed out no problem but now away at the back where there is literally no cars

For the OP, some people just don't care the way we do. That and they are dragged up with no common courtesy!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
brooklandsracer
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post
I'm livid, went to clean my daughters car, nothing too detailed but an ONR wash and BSD wipe down, it always comes up really well as I did it a couple of months back with a decent prep and wax.
Just got it almost finished when the water board came to the house opposite.
He'd seen me cleaning the car, never said anything just got out his stone saw and started cutting up the drive. We were instantly showered in a cloud of stone dust, My car (which I had cleaned yesterday), my Daughters and a brand new Volvo in the adjoining drive.
Needless to say I had to abandon any further work and move my car quickly.But not before I had a few choice words to say to the bloke.

I know they have to do their job but he should have had the courtesy to warn me having seen me cleaning the car and at least knocked on the guy's door with the Volvo to give him chance to move it.I made it clear to him that he should have done that but he just put his head down and carried on

Harry
I understand your frustration but don't agree with what you say about the worker.
You are opposite and why should he knock to warn you and neighbours plus the neighbours either side of property he working on. That will take 15 to 20 minutes and if he has several jobs on worksheet then more time will be wasted informing neighbours at other properties he has to go to.
He has to earn a living and wants to get finished as quick as possible and simply can't inform neighbours.
Perhaps when you saw him you should have kindly approached and asked what work he was doing then you could have made the call whether to risk leaving cars there or move them.
brooklandsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
Sh1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklandsracer View Post
I understand your frustration but don't agree with what you say about the worker.
You are opposite and why should he knock to warn you and neighbours plus the neighbours either side of property he working on. That will take 15 to 20 minutes and if he has several jobs on worksheet then more time will be wasted informing neighbours at other properties he has to go to.
He has to earn a living and wants to get finished as quick as possible and simply can't inform neighbours.
Perhaps when you saw him you should have kindly approached and asked what work he was doing then you could have made the call whether to risk leaving cars there or move them.
Sorry to disagree but that is nonsense. In my opinion.
I may have approached him or watched what he was about to do but his work and the effects are is his responsibility. Had he said he was about to use a disc cutter I would have asked what precautions he was taking about the dust but I know about disc cutters. I doubt most do.
He knew exactly what he was about to do but could not be bothered to exercise any care for those he was about to affect. I daresay he thought it funny.
The risk assesment is his responsibility.
It is quite possible to use a disc cutter without making dust they have integral water tanks or a pump sprayer can be used to stop the dust while cutting. It is not difficult.
It is his problem if he has to rush to complete his work, not that of those around him that his actions directly affect.
We had a problem here with Anglian water contractors who just turned up without any prior notice and expected everyone to move their vehicles.
I refused.
I called Anglian Water and the contractors threatened the police so I called for them. Guess what. The contractors did no work for over a week until we had been properly informed and were able to make suitable arrangements.
Anglian Water then had to send a various represetatives to explain why, formal apology letters and a schedule of works which we were able to question. Which we did and they ended up making changes and needing to get in an underground hole drilling rig so we did not need to move any vehicles. I even received a goodwill gesture off my bill. It must have cost them a fortune all because they could not initially be bothered to treat us with any respect.
I would not hesitate to do it again.
It is nothing but bullying and needs to be stood up to. Business must pay its own costs and not offload onto those they affect.
I would be phoning customer services, asking for an apology and sending an invoice for cleaning the car.

Last edited by Sh1ner; 10-08-2018 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Sh1ner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sh1ner For This Useful Post:
bidderman1969 (10-08-2018), bluechimp (10-08-2018), brooklandsracer (10-08-2018), Estoril-5 (10-08-2018), Fairtony (10-08-2018), Mikesphotaes (10-08-2018), SBM (15-08-2018), Smanderson117 (14-08-2018), Streeto (13-08-2018), TonyH38 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
brooklandsracer
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ner View Post
Sorry to disagree but that is nonsense. In my opinion.
I may have approached him or watched what he was about to do but his work and the effects are is his responsibility.
He knew exactly what he was about to do. but could not be bothered to exercise any care for those he was about to affect. I daresay he thought it funny.
The risk assesment is his responsibility.
It is quite possible to use a disc cutter without making dust they have integral water tanks or a pump sprayer can be used to stop the dust while cutting. It is not difficult.
It is his problem if he has to rush to complete his work, not that of those around him that his actions directly affect..
We had a problem here with Anglian water contractors who just turned up without any prior notice and expected everyone to move their vehicles.
I refused.
I called Anglian Water and the contractors threatened the police so I called for them. Guess what. The contractors did no work for over a week until we had been properly informed and were able to make suitable arrangements.
Anglian Water then had to send a various represetatives to explain why, formal apology letters and a schedule of works which we were able to question. I even received a goodwill gesture off my bill. It must have cost them a fortune all because they could not initially be bothered to treat us with any respect.
I would not hesitate to do it again.
It is nothing but bullying and needs to be stood up to.
I would be phoning customer services, asking for an apology and sending an invoice for cleaning the car.
Don't be sorry to disagree as we are all entitled to an opinion and I respect your opinion.
I work outside and can simply see it from the workers side and that he has a job to do and should not inform neighbours on every job but do agree the penpushers should inform neighbours of intended works being carried out.
About 3 weeks ago my neighbour was having block paving in front and next day my car was covered in dust from cutting up bricks et. I Simply cleaned my car round at car park then when got back parked my car towards bottom of road and did this for whole week as I understand work has to be done and I just walked a little further to a dust free car.
brooklandsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brooklandsracer For This Useful Post:
Sh1ner (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Andy1972
Washmitt Meister

Call the local hse department. If the cutting in the highway they need to use water to prevent dust. It’s s basic requirement that gets construction sites fined.

Breathing in dust, obscuring the highway etc, loads of reasons they should be doing it but rarely do. A few sites I’ve been on have been fined for this very thing.

Last edited by Andy1972; 10-08-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Andy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy1972 For This Useful Post:
Smanderson117 (14-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
danwel
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,423 Times in 2,034 Posts
Garage
Should've borrowed him one of your buckets of water, job done lol
danwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
Maxtor
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1972 View Post
Call the local hse department. If the cutting in the highway they need to use water to prevent dust. It’s s basic requirement that gets construction sites fined.

Breathing in dust, obscuring the highway etc, loads of reasons they should be doing it but rarely do. A few sites I’ve been on have been fined for this very thing.
^^^This.

COSHH.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/eh44.htm