Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
bidderman1969
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,065 Posts
mobile phone companies

was wondering if anyone else has been caught out with "unlimited calls/texts in UK and EU", basically, someone was visiting from the UK from Greece, and text me to ask for price for journey, etc etc etc, i texted back, and this went on for 5 texts from me to them, when i checked online i found i had been charged 49p per text, which i was a bit surprised about, so i rang EE and chatted to a nice Irish lady who explained to me that we both had to be in separate countries for no charging to occur, so I'm assuming that the people who texted me have also been charged by their phone network back in Greece?

i kept calm (which isn't normal for me, ) explaining how i thought this isn't very well explained on the website and that it didn't make sense for me to be charged, being in my own country, to text someone who was less than a mile away, which i guess their phone was using one of our networks as well, and she did agree in the end that it wasn't well explained, and eventually, has put credit on my account to cover these charges.

after all of this, she said she could apply something to my account, free of charge, that would bring down the cost of texts and calls (in this situation) down to 18p for text, and the calls (apparently) would have cost £2+ if i had rung them and she was able to bring the cost of that down as well, which i thought was strange, if they can do that free of charge now, why try and charge so much before????

has anyone else been caught out by things like this?
bidderman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
andy__d
Washmitt Meister

i detest the "unlimited" lie when it isnt unlimited
had Many a "chat" with virmin mobile about that And the "oh no we changed that you dont get that anymore" they Keep pulling

IF any of the others were any better id swap, they arent
andy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
bidderman1969
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy__d View Post
i detest the "unlimited" lie when it isnt unlimited
had Many a "chat" with virmin mobile about that And the "oh no we changed that you dont get that anymore" they Keep pulling

IF any of the others were any better id swap, they arent
Yeah I had them try that before when I had “unlimited” data, they said it was unlimited but also there was a “fair use” policy

bidderman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
Mad Ad
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,382 Times in 964 Posts
Staying calm and polite I find is the way to get what you want nowadays on the phone explaining your situation, being calm and polite but to the point, they do more for you and try to help you out, as who wants to be shouted at and then you expect them to help you after the rant!! they will just think bugger you I am not doing anything for you now. I had a situation with virgin and rather going in guns blazing I spoke to a nice lady explained my situation and she saved me a bundle on a deal, thanked her and she was happy to help and with the larger companies if you don’t get a good deal nothing wrong with trying again in 30mins you get a different person and they might give you a better one.

Last edited by Mad Ad; 12-08-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Mad Ad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Ad For This Useful Post:
Darlofan (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
sshooie
Orbital Oracle

The devil is always in the detail as they say, and very rarely in your favour.
sshooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #6
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,164 Posts
Garage
Similar story with a difference.

I'm with O2 and I get WiFi calling. Had to phone America so used the mobile on WiFi and was on for 24 minutes.

Get my bill in today with an extra 31 quid for an international call. I contacted them to question it and they tell me "oh your internet connection obviously dropped during the call so you reverted to an international call" No i'm in the house my connection never dropped my wife was actually on the internet next to me.

Lodged a dispute with them so i'll see how I get on
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote