Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Studio
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Studio The place the Detailing World Supporters display their work for viewing : This is a subscription section you will need to go to your userCP (top left of the page) and select Paid Subscriptions for more information.

Old 27-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
Hoppo32
Orbital Oracle

Fantastic work on an awesome car.
I want one so badly
Hoppo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
Yun_says
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Looks stunning Dave, I'm sure he's got a white 1 or 2 in the pipeline
Yun_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
ross-1888
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

you would know yun...... lol

i love these cars they look fantastic.

this write up is great dave keep em coming
ross-1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Dave KG
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 9,809 Times in 3,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Detail View Post
It's not always that other people "wont" show this. It's that there is not always a need to. Of course there will nearly always be some marks remaining.

One problem is that with people not showing them and always making it looking like they done a "full" correction it gives people that don't know about detailing false expectations and they expect a full correction in a day with every single mark removed - although this is generally only people from "the internet".

Dave's posts are more about education and teaching people hence why he shows them and explains.

Good work. That looks a bit more than just the usual dealer bad prep. I'd have rejected that car if it I picked it up and it was like that and I'd still not be 100% happy with the remaining marks on a new car but I'm guessing he'd still rather have the car.
While I agree to a point here, it is my opinion that in an honest write up, and an honest demonstration of your work and what is possible and what is not, it is always required to show deeper RDS and what can and cannot be removed... Even in one of the more "modern-style" Studio posts that we get a lot more of these days which are simply adverts rather than demonstrations / "tutorials".

As you say, many who read posts and see the words "full correction" are essentially being mislead as to what is possible and this to me is wrong - hence why I try to ensure that my writeups show in full what happens on a detail, be that good or not so good. It is very difficult with many cameras to actually capture these deeper RDS - they are subtle, to a camera at least, and you require a camera that can manually focus in order to capture these marks - auto focus tends to focus on the brightest object, and pulls the light source into focus which in turn put the paint surface and hence the marks there out of focus so you cannot see them. Indeed, a finish can look very glossy, even orange peel free using a camera that auto focusses simply because of the plane of focus that camera pulls in. This is one reason the SLR comes in so handy, and why you see the "peely" shots in my writeups - to show, thoroughly and honestly, what is in the paint surface and what remains after correction as well as before it. I hope this does serve to show people, and give a true insight into machine polishing paint correction and what is and what is not achievable.
Dave KG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave KG For This Useful Post:
Goodfella36 (27-07-2010), Juicy Jen (01-08-2010), rds1985 (27-07-2010)
Old 27-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
toosmiles
Washmitt Meister

shocking before pics but finsihed perfectly,would love this car
toosmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #16
rds1985

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave KG View Post
While I agree to a point here, it is my opinion that in an honest write up, and an honest demonstration of your work and what is possible and what is not, it is always required to show deeper RDS and what can and cannot be removed... Even in one of the more "modern-style" Studio posts that we get a lot more of these days which are simply adverts rather than demonstrations / "tutorials".

As you say, many who read posts and see the words "full correction" are essentially being mislead as to what is possible and this to me is wrong - hence why I try to ensure that my writeups show in full what happens on a detail, be that good or not so good.
Dave, this is sooo right. I like looking at all the pros writeups. BUT, imho a lot of the time and on cars that are say a few years old getting rid of all the RDS is a PITA. As you correctly hint at (I think) the reality is a lot of one day details can surely only be enhancement details-the level of machine work involved to get rid of most RDS is huge.

I think the one problem I have with some pro writeups is that they can give the impression a miracle has occurred in say a one day detail. Whilst good for marketing this then (once again imho) devalues the service and leads to confusion when a potential customer gets quoted say £600 for a full correction and they are thinking hang on a saw a writeup of car looking far worse than mine being turned round in a day which list at say £250 on the pros site. This is indeed what prompted me to get my own gear to start with as I couldn't afford the outlay of 500-600 quid when I had the impression before getting the car inspected it would have cost about half.

As you say with the right camera in the right light even without editing a cars finish can be made to look great even without total correction.

Last edited by rds1985; 27-07-2010 at 02:06 PM.
rds1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rds1985 For This Useful Post:
Goodfella36 (27-07-2010)
Old 27-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
DE 1981
Banned

Cracking works chaps, i know all to well the poor standard of fords dealership prep, up here AC ford are well known for shocking levels of prep.

Great write up as ever.

Gav
DE 1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
JJ_
DW Sponsor

Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,222 Posts
Garage
Surely the condition is grounds for refusal. Some of the wash marks were very deep and it maybe doesn't leave a lot of clear for future improvements depending how long he keeps the car.

Plus its not a cheap car, quite a lot of money to pay for a clear coat which is quite abused.

As always Dave, great turnaround.
Old 27-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
dazzyb

Garage
great car and write up, really like the black wheels against the blue paint.
makes me like the blue even more, used to be a fan of the white the most.
dazzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #20
Rick74
Washmitt Meister

Another good write up and great work as always,I wonder whos up next.
Rick74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caledonia, dave kg, defined details, detailing glasgow, detailing scotland, focus rs detail