Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 09-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
aod
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Low flow rate and short hose

For as long as I’ve been using a pressure washer (15+ years) I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to use the space in my parents back garden, and my dads Karcher K5.5.

Having had the driveway at my house redone recently I can now use it properly and last night decided to try out washing my car with my K2 again. I had tried it previously at my parents place and was initially disappointed.

Last night I found the pressure wan’t too bad, but I think the flow rate is the most noticeable difference between the K2 and K5.5. Also the biggest annoyance is the short hose cable connected to the gun. I had to constantly carry the K2 around the car as I sprayed it, which meant the Karcher hose, water hose and electric cables all got in a right mess, and on top of the lower water flow rate, meant than even snow foaming / rinsing took about 30 mins, rather than 5-10 mins with the K5.5!

I’ve just looked at a 6m extension hose, but it’s £35 – which is actually more than I paid for the K2 alone!

So now I have to decide if I spend £35 on a hose extension, or do I shell out on a better pressure washer with a longer hose?

Although I’d really like one, I think the Nilfisk C135 is out of my price range (approx. £100), so would I be better off with a K4? Or is a second had K5-K7 series (or any other PW) a better bet?
aod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
garage_dweller
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Although I’d really like one, I think the Nilfisk C135 is out of my price range
The standard hose on the Nilflisk is rubbish, I bought a C135 a few months ago and replaced the hose with 15m one from qwashers. I needed a longer hose anyway so wasn't bothered about that.
garage_dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Vmlopes
Washmitt Meister

Whichever washer you get, the hose will likely need replacing as they are either too short or kink by merely looking at it.

Invest in a decent hose and if you do replace the washer in the future it can still be used
Vmlopes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vmlopes For This Useful Post:
ianrobbo1 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
J.T
Sponge Jockey

I bought the Nilfisk Titan 120 a few months ago from argos after my previous (Karcher) pressure washer eventually gave up, it was great for the first couple of uses but quickly the plastic parts started to wear until it eventually stopped working after only 1 month.

Bought another Karcher K4 and it has been fine ever since.

Wicks have the K3 on offer at the moment -> https://www.wickes.co.uk/Karcher-K3-...FUYh0wod9qwCIA
J.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
aod
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garage_dweller View Post
The standard hose on the Nilflisk is rubbish, I bought a C135 a few months ago and replaced the hose with 15m one from qwashers. I needed a longer hose anyway so wasn't bothered about that.
Thanks for the heads up, I'd not heard about this so good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmlopes View Post
Whichever washer you get, the hose will likely need replacing as they are either too short or kink by merely looking at it.

Invest in a decent hose and if you do replace the washer in the future it can still be used
I did wonder if that was the case, so unless I spend big bucks on a top of the line model i guess I will need to consider a longer hose anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T View Post
I bought the Nilfisk Titan 120 a few months ago from argos after my previous (Karcher) pressure washer eventually gave up, it was great for the first couple of uses but quickly the plastic parts started to wear until it eventually stopped working after only 1 month.

Bought another Karcher K4 and it has been fine ever since.

Wicks have the K3 on offer at the moment -> https://www.wickes.co.uk/Karcher-K3-...FUYh0wod9qwCIA
I've heard many glowing reviews of Nilfisk, especially vs Karcher so It's interesting to hear other opioions to balance this, and nice to hear some good things about Karcher.

Thanks for the link on the offer.

The K3 still seems quite pricey at £148 - i can't belive it's £229 RRP! I don't get the feeling the K3 would be a significant enough improvement over the K2 to justify spending £150 on (plus a longer hose), although I guess the K4 is even more.

I might consider used if I can find the right deal.
aod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
\Rian
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I'd not heard about this so good to know!

I did wonder if that was the case, so unless I spend big bucks on a top of the line model i guess I will need to consider a longer hose anyway.

I've heard many glowing reviews of Nilfisk, especially vs Karcher so It's interesting to hear other opioions to balance this, and nice to hear some good things about Karcher.

Thanks for the link on the offer.

The K3 still seems quite pricey at £148 - i can't belive it's £229 RRP! I don't get the feeling the K3 would be a significant enough improvement over the K2 to justify spending £150 on (plus a longer hose), although I guess the K4 is even more.

I might consider used if I can find the right deal.
Most standard pw hoses are crap, very stiff an non flexable, I have the Nilfisk supaflex that came with mine and its very good compared to my old K4 hose and top tech one from Euro.

90% of people will testify Nilfisk over Karcher but their will be a few exceptions where someone has had a nilfisk break not long after buying it but thats life.

Couldn't comment on the K3 but I am a Nilfisk convert and wont go back to any Karcher
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
Vmlopes
Washmitt Meister

Nilfisk for me, can't complain with mine, think you will find more pros than cons on here also.

Check out Halfords as they have a good deal on the K4 if you are going with Karcher though.
Vmlopes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #8
k10mistry
Sponge Jockey

Garage
I have a Nilfisk C110.5 does the job but yes the hose has cracked in so many places. I went down to my local Pirtek and asked them if they would replace the hose or extend it for me with a flexible hard wearing hose, they usually have off cuts depending on what size you need but well worth the visit guys
k10mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,052 Posts
Garage
I suppose it depends on your budget. I bought the Nilfisk E145 partly because it had th 10m upgraded hose as fitted to the P150 which I didn't want to spend as much on as was 9ver 300 quid.

Had it now a number of years and the hose has been fine with no issues.

If you are buying one of the lower models then you'll probably have to live with the hose or replace it. At the time I bought mine I looked at the cost of the machine then a 10m hose and the more powerful E145 wasn't much more so for me was worth paying the extra.

The longer hose is definitely worth it whichever option you choose
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
BruceVolvo
Washmitt Meister

Same as Macca above, I went for the Nilfisk E150 purely because it comes with the upgraded supaflex 10m hose paid £290 for mine down to £275 now and you can get the E160 for £270 at the moment.

The hose is worth it but if you want to change your gun/trigger to an after market one there's no adaptor available that I can find to do this.
BruceVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote