Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Traders > Autobrite
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Autobrite Autobrite Direct. Online Distribution For All your Car Care Products. Fast, Reliable and friendly suppliers of Autobrite Quality Bespoke Cleaning Products, Autobrite Foam Lances/Connectors, Autobrite Professional Mobile & Static Business Set-Ups, Einszett, Collinite, Flexipads, Edge, Gilmour, Kestrel Tools, Renovo,Chemical Guys, Meguiars, Grit Guard, 3D Pro Detailing Products, 3M, Eurow, Farecla, IK Sprayers, Whirlaway, Kranzle, Honda, And Many Many More! Check us out @ www.autobritedirect.co.uk

Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
nick.s
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,346 Times in 960 Posts
Garage
Thumbs up Write Up - The Abyss

Now, I'd like to make clear, the photos I've posted in my thread are those I took at ABHQ this morning. I popped in to see Mark and confirm the application procedure of The Abyss, as it appears there are a few people finding application a little difficult. We followed the procedures below to the letter (bar Mark using a short knap towel to remove whereas I prefer a long knap...either works well, it's personal preference). Mark followed my application procedure as outlined below and found them to work perfectly, no dragging or grabbing to speak of.

You'll note a distinct lack of after shots. There is a simple reason for this, part laziness (I haven't washed the car in over a month) so only half the bonnet and passenger wing were wiped down and treated to The Abyss. The other part, this was a flying visit before my day at work for jolly Ticketmaster However, I plan to cleanse the Vectra tomorrow and apply all over and show you some complete after shots

Finally, before the write up, I have not received any Aston Martin DB5's, cash supplements, stocks & shares or anything else in return for this review, not even a cup of tea This is independent of my Review Team reviewing, yet is still impartial and my honest opinion.

Thanks for reading the forewords, please see the write up below

The blurb

For a shine so deep it will shine into your very soul. Dare you gaze into THE ABYSS - Part of the new HELLSHINE range by Autobrite Direct.

The ABYSS is a synthetic paint sealant designed specifically for cars and motorbikes. It leaves an amazingly deep glossy finish to your paintwork. The ABYSS will give you up to 6 months protection against all the daily dirt and grime.
A brand new paste sealant that has all the characteristics of a wax! Applys like a wax, spreads like a wax, water behavior like a wax and protects like a wax! Now here is the clever part - you can actually apply this product to your paint, chrome, metal works, your vinyl trim, plastic parts, Motorcycle seats etc etc. Whatever it touches - it protects!
A translucent colour like paste sealant that is so easy to apply and remove!
Stare in wonder at the deepest Abyss! For a sharp wet look, apply The Abyss with a foam applicator, allow to cure for 10 minutes, then buff to reveal a soaking wet look that will blow you away!

How to use

With The Abyss, it is straight forward.

1) Ensure panels/trim/glass etc is spotlessly clean to receive The Abyss (I personally wipe down with IPA to ensure a good bond).

2) Lightly dampen a foam applicator pad with warm water. This helps to spread The Abyss nice and thin, making subsequent removal a breeze.

3) Take a light swipe of The Abyss onto the applicator and apply in small, tight circles to the receiving area. This ensures even coverage all over.

This amount of product was sufficient to cover the half bonnet easily.

4) Temperature dependant, give The Abyss 5-10 minutes in ambient temps of approx 15 degrees celcius (longer in cold/damp conditions, less in warmer weather) to cure before attempting the swipe test. Simply take a finger tip, and swipe gently over an area that has had The Abyss applied. If the area comes away clean, proceed to step 5. If not, allow a further few minutes to cure (or, if over cured, repeat from step 3 onwards).

5) Take a good quality plush microfibre cloth (I prefer a longer knap to my cloth) and gently buff away the residue. You may find (dependant on how much product you have applied) that a couple of cloths will be needed. Excess product can leave you thinking there are 'wax holograms', which simply need further buffing to remove (the same goes for any wax/sealant).

Now, should you wish, you can layer The Abyss to ensure even coverage.

Good or bad?

Well, this is the fun bit. The Abyss is good. Really good. Initial impressions of the product are first class. The scent is warm and inviting (think cinnamon/aniseed). The levels of protection in my testing revealed 6 months is an easily reached time frame for protection AND beading/sheeting.

The water behaviour is simply insane. It sheets ridiculously well, and unusually for a sealant, it beads beautifully. Small, tight, high beads are the order of the day. Exquisite is not a word one would normally associate with a product branded as 'Hell Shine', but there is nothing suitable to use. Devilishly good? Sinfully indulgent? You get the picture.

I've personally never experienced any application issues. Whilst it has wax like characteristics, at the end of the day it is a sealant and doesn't apply EXACTLY like a paste wax that is full of carrier oils. It is no harder to apply than say Obsession when applied thinly. I've applied to pristine paint, and old oxidised paint. Whilst pristine paint is preferred, it is not noticeably harder to apply less than stellar paint. The wing of my Vectra hadn't been clayed/polished in approx 12 months, the bonnet received a little SRP in Sept/Oct. So not exactly what you would call pristine, yet no issues

At £60 for a 175g pot, it is quite an investment, but then again, it is quite the product. Multi use, stunning looks/behaviour and superb longevity. You need to be condemned to hell if you ignore The Abyss. It's a long way to Hell, which is actually a good thing, because The Abyss will last you there and back again, as a little goes a very long way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nick.s For This Useful Post:
Bustanut (06-01-2013), CodHead (05-01-2013), jack-c (05-01-2013), jan_tekin (06-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
GLN
Orbital Oracle

Thank you very much for this nick i was having a bit of trouble applying this the other day, but its defiantly looks like i was over applying .

will have another go tomoro using the correct technique

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to GLN For This Useful Post:
nick.s (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
nick.s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLN View Post
Thank you very much for this nick i was having a bit of trouble applying this the other day, but its defiantly looks like i was over applying .

will have another go tomoro using the correct technique

Cheers
Most welcome fella Let us know how you get on
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
jack-c
PC Perfectionist

Great write up and very helpfull.

I used the abyss today over cherry glaze and it was ok but not the easiest lsp to apply or remove. I really want to love this product so I'll keep trying and hopefully I'll master it.

On a more positive note I agree the water behaviour is very impressive!
The Following User Says Thank You to jack-c For This Useful Post:
nick.s (06-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Guitarjon

Cant wait to try this. I thought I was going to do a big wash next weekend. Until I got told we were going to Liverpool for the day...

Looks to be very economical.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guitarjon For This Useful Post:
nick.s (06-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Terryd367
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Really want to try this and see how it compares to the more expensive shield.
Just waiting on my order.
The Following User Says Thank You to Terryd367 For This Useful Post:
nick.s (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
cheechy
PC Perfectionist

Thanks for the write up Nick. Quick question - you mention "over curing". How do you know if the product has over cured and how do you remedy?
The Following User Says Thank You to cheechy For This Useful Post:
nick.s (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
nick.s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechy View Post
Thanks for the write up Nick. Quick question - you mention "over curing". How do you know if the product has over cured and how do you remedy?
Essentially, if it has dried on the panel so hard it is a nightmare to remove, you basically apply more product to soften the layer you've already applied, and buff off sooner

I've not let The Abyss get to this state yet, but I may just to see how long you can give it before it is too hard to remove
The Following User Says Thank You to nick.s For This Useful Post:
cheechy (07-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Guitarjon

Nick how many coats would you recommend doing?

I'd normally go for 2 coats on wax or a coat one week and a second coat the week after if I'm pushing for time.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
nick.s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarjon View Post
Nick how many coats would you recommend doing?

I'd normally go for 2 coats on wax or a coat one week and a second coat the week after if I'm pushing for time.
In testing, I've done one and two layers. Two layers on one half of the car, one on the other, purely to satisfy my curiosity for layering. You can happily get away with one layer for months on end Two layers will ensure complete coverage for sure, and will afford you slightly better durability
The Following User Says Thank You to nick.s For This Useful Post:
BadgerJCW (14-01-2014)

Tags
autobrite, nick.s, paste, sealant, the abyss