Detailing World Forum banner

Ultimate Detailing Machine - Try outs

12K views 120 replies 31 participants last post by  Grizzle 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

As you all know I am in possession (sp) of an Ultimate Detailing Machine.

I thought rather than me write my own review I would put this machine out some of the guys on Detailing World who deal with us at Clean and Shiny.

Yesterday I gave the machine to Reg Hollis as he lives about 2 miles from me who is going to give it a whirl and let the forum know what he thinks. After this Whizzer is going to take it for a couple of days and give it a go on his X5 and I know Andy C said he would like to pass you guys his comments too and said he would take a look.

What I thougth would be nice is if a few guys from DW wanted to come over to Wokingham one night NEXT week after work for an hour and give the machine a go on their own cars and then write a little review for the site?

Sorry you guys that are a bit further away but I worked out if I started sending this out and getting it back then we couldnt cover so many people and it would actual cost a fair amount of money in courier charges.

So, what I am looking for is 5 testers who could meet at Wokingham RG41 2QZ one night next week (probably Thursday) at 6pm

Johnny

See less See more
#5 ·
Great work John, looking forward to hearing the results :)

I would love to travel over but sadly cant make it next week. Plus.. I think it may be better to leave the testing to the more experienced :D

Although on the other hand, I suppose maybe a review from someone who is new to machine polishing would also be good as it would sort of show how easy/hard it is to use!

Just my 2 shillings :p

Dan

#18 · (Edited)
I'll be along Thursday. I have a Lotus to detail in Redhill that day so please excuse me if I arrive dirty and smelly (i.e. more than usual).

I did try the UDM briefly yesterday whilst doing an Elise, wasn't impressed. This was what I put on Shaun's post elsewhere:

Ok, just to add to the mix, Johnny Clean & Shiny has given me a UDM to test for a couple of days, to see what I think.

Same as Shaun, picking the thing up it immediately feels heavier than a PC. I hadn't got around to weighting yet, so interesting to see Shaun's figures there. I think it also feels more weighted to the head than the PC, possibly something to do with the unreasonably large collar that surrounds the counterwight?

Yesterday I was working on a Lotus Elise, it simply couldn't cut the mustard for any serious correction, but then I didn't expect it to. I only use my PC these days for finishing (glaze & sealants), so I did the correction with the rotary and used the UDM to apply a sealant.

This is where it really let itself down. Not sure where these few come in the scheme of things, i.e. finished production ready or pre-production, but at speed 4 I found the frequency of vibration thoroughly uncomfortable. Not only was it affecting my hands, but it was travelling up my forearms to my elbows. I was happy the pad was centred (finishing pad), but just to experiement I used the same pad on my PC. Of course there is still vibration, but no-where near as much, or at least not at the same frequency that made it so unpleasant. Turning the speed up to 5 on the UDM just made things worse so it went back in its bag.

To be honest, thats where it would stay, but in the name of science I shall have a little experiment this afternoon with some light correction on my own car, to see how it goes.

First impression? It wouldn't be getting my money. Sorry.

Further testing required before a definitive answer. See you Thursday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.