Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 12-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
dsme94
Sponge Jockey

Karcher K2 + Water Butt

Hi,

I bought a terraced house last year and I've been trying to explore solutions where I can connect a hose to the outside tap at the rear of the property but I can't think of any clean solution.

I am currently exploring the water butt method. I have a Karcher K2 and I am looking to use a normal hose connected to the water butt. The water butt will be raised off the ground with bricks but not too high and will be filled water as required from the rear tap (I will have to drag the hose through the house on occasions).

Will this work without any pressure issues? I have been doing some reading but there is conflicting information everywhere.
dsme94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Bug Sponge
Washmitt Meister

I doubt it mate. I always had the K4 and it was very hit and miss at low pressure. High pressure from a tap I couldn't fault it but it's just not built for low pressure from my experience.
Bug Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #3
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,761 Times in 2,067 Posts
Garage
Submersible pumps can give you enough pressure. Or add a large bore tap and run a short, large bore hose to the inlet of the PW - however this method only really works if the pump of your PW runs slowly enough. I suspect the K2 will need a submersiblepump to boost the pressure. Lots of them on Amazon.

Last edited by steelghost; 12-01-2018 at 10:48 PM.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
GleemSpray
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,612 Posts
My K4 eco has the water butt suction hose and i tried it a couple of times. It works well enough once it gets going, but I had intermittent problems with the initial pickup and had to connect the hose to get water through the machine, then switch to the suction hose.

Maybe raising the butt, as you suggest, will work for you.

As i say, once it was going it worked very well and i was able to use hot water in the butt too, which helped the cleaning massively.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
dsme94
Sponge Jockey

Any recommendations on which submersible pump to buy? Do I need to be able to control the pressure supplied to the pressure washer?
dsme94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
JR1982

Thanked 1,143 Times in 918 Posts
Garage
I’m running my k4 from a water butt with no issues at the moment although there is a difference from running off the tap, I’m currently looking for options of a pump also to get a little extra pressure.
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Forsh

Garage
How long will your hose be from the butt to the PW?
If it's only a short distance, say upto 5m and you bin the plastic water butt tap and put a proper full bore valve on there, I'd think you'd be fine.

If it doesn't work then a pump only needs to provide a little assistance to deliver enough water to the PW

A K2 has less flow therefore needs less water than a K4

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #8
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,761 Times in 2,067 Posts
Garage
Something like this...https://www.amazon.co.uk/151652-Heav...ble+water+pump

Edit: That pump is possibly overkill, you might be OK with something like this . Although for this sort of purpose, the float switch on the first pump I linked to is worth having.

This thread has a rather good setup.

JR, if your machine doesn't run as well off a water butt as off a tap, I fear you are starving the pump of water and it will be taking harm from this....

Last edited by steelghost; 23-01-2018 at 12:19 PM.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
gardian
Washmitt Meister

I have an old K2 and its fine. I have a 25m hose running form the 3rd water butt in the link to the pressure washer on the drive and this has a 15m extension on as well.
It does take a little while for the water to hit the pressure washer, but I usually turn the tap of the water butt on as I'm spraying the pre wash on the car so once its applied i can connect the hose to the pressure washer and give it a blast to get it sorted. There isnt a massive difference to the pressure but the tap is stronger, could be that the water is also softer being rain water.
gardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
percymon

Garage
I'd also look at Steelghosts set up on the DIY pressure washer / Set-Up thread - he's using some large bore 25mm ID pipework from the water butt, but he does have a slower motored Kranzle.

He even did a thread about it http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=369407

Last edited by percymon; 23-01-2018 at 10:06 AM.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
Soapybubbles (23-01-2018), steelghost (23-01-2018)