Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 14-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
sMiLEy sLOth
Unwashed Member

Whats the best way to remove product from car?

Hi,

Before I get to asking my question, hereís some back story. I apologise in advance for the novel that follows:

My car hasnít been very well looked after. Iíd only ever cleaned it myself once until the other day. Iíd always just go to the hand car wash, hand over £5 and let them destroy my paintwork, and even this didnít really happen that often.

The other day I went out and bought a pressure washer and some cleaning gear because I really wanted to bukake my car with foam and see the magic happen. It was only after talking to the guy in the shop that I discovered that snow foam isnít made of magic and Iíd actually need to put hand to car.

Iíd already committed myself to having a clean car so asked what Iíd need and purchased the following products:

Auto Finesse Avalanche (toffee)
Auto Finesse Aqua Coat
Auto Finesse Finale
Auto Finesse Deluxe drying towel
Auto Finesse Plush micro fibre (for use specifically with finale)
Auto Finesse Deluxe wash mitt
Megiars Wash & Wax shampoo (he gave me a couple of free samples, enough to clean my car once)

(I will be asking in another post about if these products are actually any good so please try to refrain from commenting on this here)

My process was as follows:

Rinse
Foam
Rinse
Shampoo
Rinse
Aqua Coat
Rinse
Dry
Finale

So my main issue was that by the time Iíd got round to applying the Aqua coat it was quite sunny, and my black car was very hot. So hot in fact that I could see steam coming off my car whenever I sprayed the Aqua Coat. To prevent the product from drying I used quite a lot of product, like half a 1L bottle, but by the time Iíd sprayed all around my car, the Aqua Coat had already baked on. I rinsed it thoroughly and it looked like the product was rinsing OK as there was a white residue that was coming off with the water.

I started using the detailer and noticed there were loads of tiny water spots all over my car that were really tough to remove. It was taking ages and I wasnít really getting results so I gave up. The next day the water spots had become a lot more visible, so much so that my car didnít look like it had even been cleaned the day before.

Iíve since washed the car again and the water spots just donít seem to go away. Iíve been in touch with Auto Finesse to find out what this could be and by the sounds of it I used way too much Aqua Coat and didnít rinse it off quick enough.

Ok so if youíve made it this far, thank you for your patience and dedication to helping a noob. Now for my question.

How do I completely remove the baked on Aqua coat and any other product that may have stuck to my car so that I can start from scratch?
sMiLEy sLOth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Fairtony
Washmitt Meister

Aqua coat is one of those products like Car Pro Hydro2 and Gyeon Wetcoat (a swell as a hundred more now on the market). But these are products not for the faint hearted because they have a real wide margain for error.
First of all I would have never applied it to a car that was anything other than stone cold. And it should have also been dripping.
Also, you need absolutely hardly any, 2 sprays per panel max. The videos show them plastering it on but this is highly excessive.
You also really need to apply to one panel first, and immediately jet wash off. And preferably all the surrounding panels too, to stop any runoff causing issues.

Only way to remove those marks now is with a good abrasive polish.
A good 3 in 1 like SRP or Tripple will work ok. But youíve got a bit of work cut out for yourself.
Fairtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
audi mike
Sponge Jockey

I have not used this product before but just had a quick look on website and it recomends using tripple all in one if you have white spots from not rinsing it off quick enough. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
audi mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
sMiLEy sLOth
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtony View Post
Aqua coat is one of those products like Car Pro Hydro2 and Gyeon Wetcoat (a swell as a hundred more now on the market). But these are products not for the faint hearted because they have a real wide margain for error.
First of all I would have never applied it to a car that was anything other than stone cold. And it should have also been dripping.
Also, you need absolutely hardly any, 2 sprays per panel max. The videos show them plastering it on but this is highly excessive.
You also really need to apply to one panel first, and immediately jet wash off. And preferably all the surrounding panels too, to stop any runoff causing issues.

Only way to remove those marks now is with a good abrasive polish.
A good 3 in 1 like SRP or Tripple will work ok. But youíve got a bit of work cut out for yourself.
My plan was to remove product first then go about claying the car then polishing, waxing then sealing.

By the sounds of it, I'd need to polish first?
Old 14-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
sMiLEy sLOth
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi mike View Post
I have not used this product before but just had a quick look on website and it recomends using tripple all in one if you have white spots from not rinsing it off quick enough. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll have a look at that.
Old 15-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
Woodsmoke
Sponge Jockey

Always clay before you polish, just so you don't rub any contaminants around the paint.. the clay wont remove the white marks, it will just ensure the paint is spotless so you can attack the white marks properly with out worrying about any other damage happening.
Woodsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
Audigeezer23
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sMiLEy sLOth View Post
My plan was to remove product first then go about claying the car then polishing, waxing then sealing.

By the sounds of it, I'd need to polish first?

No you are ok claying first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audigeezer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #8
sMiLEy sLOth
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
Always clay before you polish, just so you don't rub any contaminants around the paint.. the clay wont remove the white marks, it will just ensure the paint is spotless so you can attack the white marks properly with out worrying about any other damage happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audigeezer23 View Post
No you are ok claying first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok I thought that'd be the case. Thanks for confirming.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Old 17-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #9
sMiLEy sLOth
Unwashed Member

UPDATE

I washed my car today and was able to rectify my mistake.

I actually noticed a hug difference just from the clay. I finished it off with AF triple which was really easy to use.

Tags
decontamination, water spot removal