Detailing World Forum banner

water butt setup

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  WD Pro 
#1 ·
Hi all

I've just purchased another 2 190Ltr butts to join my current 100Ltr one. I'm planning on linking all 3, so giving me just under 500Ltrs. My concern is that the final 100Ltr butt will empty pretty quick!!!

My thought was to draw water off all 3, using Y shape hose connectors connected to the taps located at the bottom of the butts. I plan on placing filters on each joining pipe, also on main feed pipe from the gutter downpipe.

Your thoughts guys

Nige

#5 ·
Hi all

My thought was to draw water off all 3, using Y shape hose connectors connected to the taps located at the bottom of the butts. I plan on placing filters on each joining pipe, also on main feed pipe from the gutter downpipe.

Your thoughts guys

Nige
What if you connect all of them together "in series" with pipes located at the bottom of each butt?

They will then all fill evenly from the one diverter, and you only need the one tap, as levels will fall evenly as water is drawn off.

Or is this essentially what you are proposing?

#6 · (Edited)
Yes that's kind of what I'm planning, using hosepipe connected to each bottom tap, then joining them altogether using Y shape connectors. This will give me one main feed to my PW, I'm also thinking as the supply will be from 3 butts at once, I'll have more of a flow rate with greater pressure?

Nige

#16 ·
Works fine, had two connected like that for twelve years.

One diverter, two butts and two stands.

Both butt taps are open. The taps are connected and one hose runs from the bottom and down my path. The hose has a standard hozelock end and I just clip it to my fence at a higher level than the water in my butts. To use it I just unclip it and lower it to the floor. Water flows automatically with no opening of taps, no moving parts etc

WD :D

#14 ·
Three weeks ago I linked my smaller water butt to the big 260lt one, at the top so that any crud sinks to the bottom of the big one and when it gets to the top, overflows into the small butt.
I have put a green scouring pad in the link pipe to act as a filter.
it stayed empty for three weeks as we have not had a decent downpour.
I checked it this morning and with all the rain we had last night, it is now almost to the top.
I drew off a glassfull to check to see whether any sediment was in the water and the water was crytal clear, no bits at all, so the filter is working well:thumb: so i now feel happy that i can use this water without fear of having grit in the water.
i now need some time to do a decent snowfoam and clean as car is really grubby now:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.