Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
IDreamofGloss
Sponge Jockey

Cleanser polish technique

Just purchase a 3 try old XC60 for my gf, paint is pretty good, dark grey metallic with few swirls.

However bonnet in particular feels rough so intended to clay but noted the advice in all the posts here is to machine polish afterwards because the claying will marr the paintwork.

I've corrected a couple of other cars before (doing my one now) but this always takes a long time which I don't have. How do you machine polish in less than a couple of days for a decent size car?

Are there any other options to claying or is the cleanser polishing technique a lot quicker than when correcting (is more of a quick buff)?

Does a cleanser polish eg BH have to be broken down to work?
IDreamofGloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Hi.

Taken from the Polished Bliss site:

Bilt Hamber cleanser-polish can be applied equally well by hand or dual action machine. For best results by hand, it should be applied to freshly washed and decontaminated paint using either the supplied applicator pad or a Lake Country Hydro-Tech Polishing Hand Pad. Only 3-4 pea-sized drops of product are required per panel, and these should be worked in using light pressure to produce a film that should then be allowed to dry for several minutes. Once hazed over, this film should then be buffed off carefully using either the supplied buffing towel or a PB Super Buffing Towel.

For best results using a dual action polisher, Bilt Hamber cleanser-polish should be applied using either a Lake Country Hydro-Tech Finishing Pad or a SCHOLL Concepts Premium Finishing Pad. Only 3-4 pea-sized drops of product are required per panel, and these should be worked in thoroughly at around 3000-4000 orbits per minute (speed 3-4 on most dual action machine polishers) until only a thin film remains. This film should then be left to haze over for several minutes before being buffed off using either the supplied buffing towel or a PB Super Buffing Towel.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...er-polish.html

Certainly quicker than a full correction

Remember to use lots of lube with the clay - a strong shampoo solution is usually OK.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
IDreamofGloss
Sponge Jockey

Thanks Andy, that makes sense but still seems like a long job....wash, clay, DA cleanse-polish, wax.

Am I misinterpreting the DA polishing time for this as I reckon for this alone it's best part of a day's job with the machine at my normal pace?

....or does BH C-P not need to be worked and broken down like normal correcting polish and need less working - should I see it as like working in a wax rather than a correction stage?

XC-60 is a fair size car, with a lot of steel, can't reach across every panel so bonnet and roof each need probably 3-4 sections...

Sorry for all questions... slightly confused
Old 07-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,748 Times in 2,057 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDreamofGloss View Post
....or does BH C-P not need to be worked and broken down like normal correcting polish and need less working - should I see it as like working in a wax rather than a correction stage?
This is more the approach you want to take I think - the abrasives in Cleanser Polish are pretty mild and are there for their cleaning action rather than for any real correction ability. Unless you're using it with a cutting pad and just using the product as lubrication, what Cleanser Polish will give you is paint cleaning and filling of minor defects in the manner of a good glaze. It doesn't need loads of working, but does warrant a few passes to get the most out of its cleaning ability.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:50 PM   #5
A&J

Thanked 1,119 Times in 816 Posts
Cleanser polish isnt a polish per se...its has abrasives but they are there to clean paint not correct.
I suggest you use it on a soft pad (the softest you have) and on a low speed (2-3), do 2 passes and move on. Let it dry for a few min and wipe it off. Dont use it on too high speeds, that will introduce heat that will dry out the polish on the paint making it harder to wipe off...same thing can happen if you are using it by hand on warm or hot panels.
A&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #6
Lexus-is250
Sponge Jockey

Garage
This will give you a bit of an idea of the cleaning and filling of Cleanser polish. This was a car I was doing Sunday and you can see the side id gone over with it vs the side I hadn't. The car was in a bit of a mess and I'd clayed it as well. The more you go over the panel better the it gets and doesn't seem to mind what pad you use.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Lexus-is250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
euge07

do it once and do it right

book a few days off and use a proper polish on it, it will be worth it in the end
euge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
IDreamofGloss
Sponge Jockey

Hey, yeah I wish... have just taken 4 days to correct my Panamera which looks amazing now, finished it last night and was bought at the same time as gf's car (but panny bodywork in a much worse state) and cannot take another 3 days off - do you guys not work ??
Old 08-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
euge07

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDreamofGloss View Post
Hey, yeah I wish... have just taken 4 days to correct my Panamera which looks amazing now, finished it last night and was bought at the same time as gf's car (but panny bodywork in a much worse state) and cannot take another 3 days off - do you guys not work ??
what condition is the paint in bud? could you not get away with a good one step enhancement? I find sonax 04-06 fantastic for this
euge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
gibbo555

I used BH Cleanser polish on a Berlingo Van at the weekend, got round it in an hour and a half or so, lovely to work with.

Can't really report on how it filled as the paintwork was in excellent condition but a lovely product to use, i used it on the DA i should add.
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote