Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #21
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I absolutely think you should have a go yourself, be it with a DA or by hand. The only exception to that, as others have said, is if you're:

A) Seeking a near perfect result
and/or
B) Wanting it done in short order, within minimal fuss or disruption

Not sure if you're a member on Civinfo but there was a poll done on there some time ago relating to paint hardness. IIRC, the Milano Red came out as the top colour for getting stone chips and scratches, suggesting it was softer than the other colours used. That being the case, you'd obviously do well to go gentle and yes, a test panel would probably be a good idea, particularly if you want to go down the DA route.

From personal experience of working on my own two civics, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the results you can achieve doing it just by hand. This offers you the safest and most controlled approach, with minimal outlay. You can also start on one of the smaller panels just to test your approach, assuming you don't get a test panel. Obviously it won't be as quick as a DA, but that's the trade-off which I'm sure is well understood.

If you can find out if it's been machined before and the answer is 'no', then that's another big confidence booster for you as you're likely to have more clear to play with. It could be worth seeing if anyone on here is local to you otherwise who could lend you a PDG, or even pay a pro a small fee to go round and check it for you, just to be on the safe side?
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olliewills For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (11-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #22
chrisahamer
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonejedi View Post
I say jump in and try it yourself,DA polishers are quite easy to use if you have common sense,...I did not know much about detailing in the beginning but with asking questions and practising on a old car panel that I had,I achieved some very good results and its very satisfying knowing what you can achieve yourself,maybe I'm just from the school of thinking "Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish" if you get my drift.SJ.
I have to say I really agree with this.

You said you might enjoy it, so give it a go.

I started out in detailing about 8 years ago, a couple of years into ownership of my first car and had nothing more than internet articles and youtube to rely on and although I made a hash of things a few times I never actually did anything that caused permanent damage.

My key piece of advice is that at the beginning, less is more. Get a few products you can use as well as maybe a DA and go from there. No need to spend massive amounts (especially on the DA, ebay is your friend as 2nd hand is always a fair bit cheaper).
chrisahamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisahamer For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (12-03-2018)