Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 13-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
jure5gtt
Unwashed Member

Mirka Shark Blade / Denibber / How To Use?

Hi everyone,

Have been lurking for ages and joined forum some time back but never wrote anything since vast majority of forum population do not have much to learn from me or my “rich” experience in detailing.

I’m not complete noob and have tried a lot of products and DIY techniques related to car care and detailing.

I decided to write my first topic, after extensive search on this forum and research on other websites, about cutting method step in stone chip repair procedure with touch up paint.

Theoretically and from own experience I know how to clean surface with IPA, how to apply base coat, build up clear coat, how to leave clear coat layer with a blob that needs to be flattened and now I’m stuck and need your help. On my previous car I tried to flat the area with wet sanding method (small piece of P2000 on the tip of pencil with rubber eraser on top) but I wasn’t quite patient and tried to redo repaired area 3 times and managed to achieve strikethrough. Touch down!

With my new car, I decided to go for little more safer approach in flattening/cutting/shaving raised areas and bought Mirka Shark Blade. I did not go after Festool Denibber (LZK-HM 497525) not because it’s bit more expensive but found info here that Mirka is more beginner friendly and sufficient for hobby use regarding tool life span.

My first and main inquiry is based on how to properly hold Mirka Shark Blade. I found few instructional videos for Festool Denibber and how to place it to rest on the matching cord to achieve optimal cutting angle. On other hand, haven’t found any video instruction or user manual for proper Mirka Shark Blade handling. It is, obviously, differently shaped and cannot be laid down on the cord but you rather need to hold it in dominant hand and make slightly curved pushing movement. I place Mirka Shark Blade in hand similar to stone that you intend to throw to make water ripples.

In this moment few questions arise:

1. Is upper mentioned "throwing stone" correct positioning of tool in the hand?
2. If it is not – please advise how to hold properly?
3. Do I make pulling or pushing hand movement?
4. How long hand movements do I need to make to produce momentum (sufficient cutting force)?
4. What is approximate optimal angle of tool placed on the surface?
5. How much of pressure (weight) on surface do I need to apply when making cutting movements?

I attached two photos of the area that I started to cut but stopped after few cuts because I noticed slight cutting marks (blurring) on surrounding non touched-up area. Better safe than sorry since factory clear on BMW F30 is approx 90µ. Is this OK and can I relatively safely continue with flattening the area?

Many thanks in advance,

Jure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 12-03-2018, 17 48 06.jpg (91.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 12-03-2018, 17 47 55.jpg (91.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by jure5gtt; 13-03-2018 at 10:48 AM.
jure5gtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
neilmcl
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

IS this the tool

neilmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neilmcl For This Useful Post:
Sicskate (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
Sicskate

Thanked 1,354 Times in 1,074 Posts
I made that video clip many years ago now, infact I still use the same shark blade daily.

One issue you'll notice is that they are super sharp to start with, after use it will blunt off and become nice to use.

Also, you need to flat the clip after shaving off, so a slight scuff is fine as it'll probably sand out.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
Sicskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
jure5gtt
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
Yep. Thats the tool. Saw that video few times and still do not have courage to try on my own. I tried to mirror angle and movement but not the speed and force.

Last edited by jure5gtt; 14-03-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 13-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #5
jure5gtt
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicskate View Post
I made that video clip many years ago now, infact I still use the same shark blade daily.

One issue you'll notice is that they are super sharp to start with, after use it will blunt off and become nice to use.

Also, you need to flat the clip after shaving off, so a slight scuff is fine as it'll probably sand out.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks for your input. If I recall correctly you were the one that already warned few times that denibbers are dangerously sharp when new and was one of the reasons why I stopped what I was doing and asked for an advice. I will try to buff this blurred are and will see where I’m standing.

Last edited by jure5gtt; 14-03-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 13-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
slim_boy_fat

Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jure5gtt View Post
Yep. Thats the tool. Saw that video few times and still do not have courage to try on my own. Intried to mirror angle and movement but not the speed and force.
Can you get a panel from a breakers and practise opn that?
slim_boy_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slim_boy_fat For This Useful Post:
Sicskate (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
Sicskate

Thanked 1,354 Times in 1,074 Posts
I wouldn't polish it up yet, it will look rubbish.

I don't really like to give advice as it's really hard to evaluate a chip from a picture.

Also different people have different ability's.

I guess at this point I'd suggest making sure the chip is flat, without any low spots.

When you use the blade, slide it over smoothly without any pressure. If it catches the chip, good. If not just keep going.

A single chip can still take me 20-30 slides to get smooth.

I can get you a few more pictures of different situations tomorrow if you like??
Sicskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #8
jure5gtt
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat View Post
Can you get a panel from a breakers and practise opn that?
Yeah. That won't be a problem. I have spare bonnet in my shed since I'm around cars my whole life. That is good advice since last time when I was overconfident in my abilities managed to strikethrough clear with wet sanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicskate View Post
I wouldn't polish it up yet, it will look rubbish.

I don't really like to give advice as it's really hard to evaluate a chip from a picture.

Also different people have different ability's.

I guess at this point I'd suggest making sure the chip is flat, without any low spots.

When you use the blade, slide it over smoothly without any pressure. If it catches the chip, good. If not just keep going.

A single chip can still take me 20-30 slides to get smooth.

I can get you a few more pictures of different situations tomorrow if you like??
I thought to polish it just to see how well I can shine up blurred surrounding area and double check severity of potential collateral damage on clear coat.

Please be so kind to post up few more pics and any additional advice that crosses your mind.

I have put on my girl panties this evening on and acted like a man...
Tried to make few more light passes over the chip and stopped there. Area (by eye) seemed to be flattened so continued with light wet sanding (just few passes) with P3000, used 3M FC Plus and afterwards 3M Super Fine. Everything looks pretty much good now. Not perfect. Still can feel under fingertip a bit raised part and from some viewing angles slight cutting mark caused by denibber. I think it is safe to try to shave a little bit more tomorrow and shine it up again. Pics to follow..

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

Last edited by jure5gtt; 13-03-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 14-03-2018, 06:20 AM   #9
jure5gtt
Unwashed Member

Tried to take a photo of repaired area but couldn't get right angle of camera to catch (probably) final result. I assume it is good result for the first timer when camera cannot catch imperfections.

Made a video.

Please notice skewed reflection on car's front bumper which is caused by slight vertical flat spot (pit) caused by denibber.

Last edited by jure5gtt; 14-03-2018 at 07:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jure5gtt For This Useful Post:
Sicskate (14-03-2018)
Old 15-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #10
jure5gtt
Unwashed Member

Made few more passes with well soaked P3000. You will notice (attached pic) brighter vertical line in the middle of the sanded area. That is the pit that I caused with the denibber.
I did not go further with flattening the area since I noticed that orange peel effect on sanding area is becoming less noticeable than on surrounding area.

Slight pit is only visible if you are looking at the panel (driver's doors in this case) at narrow angle opposing the light source and "hunting" reflection defect by minimum head left-right movement.

Good news is that touch-uped spot is basically invisible from all angles and color match and blending is perfect.

During the weekend I'm gonna try to solve few more chips but on the bonnet this time. I assume that it will be much easier to "drive" denibber over the surface when you can simply place it on the surface and leave the gravity do it's part.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 14-03-2018, 16 15 27.jpg (100.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by jure5gtt; 15-03-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Tags
de-nibber, denibber, festool, mirka, shark blade