Detailing World Forum banner

Autosmart Tardis

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  garycha 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Looking at getting some Tardis from the autosmart rep next week. Thinking is it worth me buying 25L and decanting into 5L bottles and offering them up for sale or is it just worth me getting 5L. I've looked around and it's pretty expensive for 5L so thought it mite be a good idea just checking the water so to speak lol.

#14 ·
Personally I wouldn't bother as the above comments, just get 5litres and be done. It will last you ages.

Gonz.
This.. I have had 5L I bought 4 years ago. One really doesn't need to use that much of it, that often. It does last for ages and does not seem to go off in tin.

It's a very un eco product that seems to be massively over used, and imo, over rated, for what it is.

PB seemed to have had a huge sales drive on Tardis a few years back. They did a good job of building demand.

#15 ·
Do you not rate it then mate must admit I've never used it and want to try it was hoping for good results hope I'm not to disappointed with it. Rep is coming over tomorrow morning so going to get some anyway but looks like I'm going to go for the 5L.

#21 ·
Do you not rate it then mate must admit I've never used it and want to try it was hoping for good results hope I'm not to disappointed with it. Rep is coming over tomorrow morning so going to get some anyway but looks like I'm going to go for the 5L.
Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Great results. I had it for years. But to me a triumph of marketing over base product. I paid 25 quid a gallon, still have most left.

I tend not to overuse it. Always have a 500ml sprayer on go. But more often than not, i just reach for WD40 aerosol for localized tar spotting. Given the small amount used, i also think this is the greenest solution. I shudder at the amount of Tardis that us lot must flush into waterways.

WD40, paraffin, white spirit, can all be used, and all have same spot-removing effect and all come from same refinery process (as does Tardis I suspect). Without the branding and marketing push. This is not snake oil, its just oil-based solvent - using the principle that a lower Viscosity hydrocarbon will dissolve a higher viscosity one. E.g. Light oil dissolves crude oil. All highly flammable too..

Road menders use diesel to clean their barrows tools and hands of tar. When a car crashes and spills it's fuel on the road, tarmac dissolves, its all the same principle.

Your call fella, 25 quid on Tardis or a fiver for one of the alternatives. All can sit in a sprayer (with chemical head, otherwise Tardis etc pita with drips etc)

My caveat, is that since ditching waxes, I get less bonded spots - ceramics do not provide same bonding effect that baked on tar to wax can provide.

May be this should be in the Detailing on a budget section.

#16 ·
I've used a number of tar removers over the years. I'm on to my second 5l of tardis I think I bought my first one around 2009.

For me it does what it says in the tin and is certainly my go to for far removal not sure why garycha you don't like it or thinks it's overrated I paid less than 20 quid for my 5l and think it was actually about 17 though can't remember. For value for money and effectiveness IMO you can't beat it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.