Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 13-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
robertdon777
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,358 Posts
Garage
Carshop.co.uk

Wouldn't normally post things like this...

But what an easy deal that was when it came to PX'ing a car.

Online Valuation...Listed the cars faults and they gave me what they quoted!

So Traded in the big honking 3.0L Diesel ML for a mighty....

VW UP 1.0L, 5dr High Up

Optional Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Heated Seats and Cruise, PDC, Nav etc

I had a C1 on lease a few years back and it was a great little car. The ML wasn't my choice it was the Mrs car but gifted to me. I ran it for a year and tbh, it just wasn't suitable for my needs (School Run and a 14 mile drive to work).

UP so far... Easy 50mpg, not bad on the MWay, better poke than I thought, only 75bhp but doesn't feel that bad if you are in the correct gear. Space is better than the C1 even though they are much the same size. Quality is up a touch too over the C1, not hugely but it just feels a little more solid.

The tyres are like rubber bands, 195/40/17's.... 40 profile sounds a lot..but on 195's its tiny, about 20mm from alloy to road surface. Maybe 15" or 16" wheels would be a better option, ride isn't too bad but if you catch a pot hole you feel it.

Equipment is good and the Navigation system (Clip in in-Built Garmin) does things like DAB/Bluetooth/Phone/Nav/Live Weather/Traffic and Car Data on the one screen with voice control too, although you have to remove it every time otherwise someone will nick it thinking its a stand alone Sat Nav...because that's what it looks like.

Last edited by robertdon777; 13-11-2018 at 03:59 PM.
robertdon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
c87reed
Orbital Oracle

Garage
We have two Ups in our household so it’s fair to say that we are a big fan of them. The little thrumming 3 pot engines don’t mind revving and still seem to get high mpg if you’re less than careful. One of our has the 195/40/17s and would suit 16 rims better I think too, or even 15 inch with quality rubber.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
robertdon777
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,358 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by c87reed View Post
We have two Ups in our household so it’s fair to say that we are a big fan of them. The little thrumming 3 pot engines don’t mind revving and still seem to get high mpg if you’re less than careful. One of our has the 195/40/17s and would suit 16 rims better I think too, or even 15 inch with quality rubber.
How do you find them in general?

The little C1 was great, 1.2 82bhp with the canvas roof. Went well, nothing went wrong but the entertainment system was pants.
robertdon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
c87reed
Orbital Oracle

Garage
I would say that they've got a bit of character about them. The OH's is a 60ps Move up! and even in the lower power and trim level I still find it pretty good fun and nimble. The OH had a Corsa before it in the unlimited 'Limited Edition' spec, it supposedly had sports suspension, but on a windy and bumpy back B road I find the up! much more entertaining and it also feels much nippier than the Corsa ever was - the smaller 15 inch alloys on the OH's definitely help it zip along more competently too where the road surface isn't great.

We do a fair few long distance trips in the school holidays and one of the good things is that even with the 5spd box the revs are still sitting low at 2900rpm for 70mph. The reliable mpg helps too on longer trips. The fuel gauge isn't the most accurate though in the sense that it doesn't move for 100 miles and then it drops quicker than Tom Daley - A small tank at 35 litres, but still easily get over 400 miles out of it. There is nothing that is overly fancy in the cabin, but the bits that you do get seem like they are well put together.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c87reed For This Useful Post:
robertdon777 (13-11-2018)