Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 29-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #51
tosh
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidderman1969 View Post
So do modern cars with LED headlights have the same bulbs that's been shown on this thread? With the heat-displacement metal bits or fans on them?

No, they're a completely different design; uses an array of LEDs rather than fixed bulbs (at least mine does)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tosh For This Useful Post:
bidderman1969 (29-09-2016)
Old 30-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #52
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,060 Posts
Garage
While LEDs themselves are arguably far superior to incandescent bulbs, they are in some ways not as robust. Bulbs are not heat sensitive since they work by getting hot (and their resistance increases as they do so, so they can't burn out so long as the voltage is stable). LEDs absolutely cannot be allowed to get hot, if they do their resistance drops and you get thermal runaway which lets the magic smoke out. Hence they have to be heatsinked properly - there's nowhere near as much waste heat as there is with a halogen bulb, but what there is has to be got rid of.

As a result retrofitting them to existing fittings will always be suboptimal. No way I'd put bulbs in the car that mean the lamp units can't be sealed, it's no good having your headlights go out when you're driving in heavy rain!
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
asiangunner (01-10-2016), ollienoclue (05-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #53
bidderman1969
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,350 Times in 1,034 Posts
well after so long deliberating wether to have some or not, i decided to give them a try, i got these bulbs from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

found they didn't fit into the headlight, so got some adapters...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and after some cussing and all sorts, taking half the front of the car off just to get one bulb in, the other one took 5 minutes, had this....

looks ok, but for some reason not brilliant, at dusk they were terrible, was expecting better tbh, especially in this projector light, i dunno, maybe i just need to get used to it?

anyone else done the change and felt disappointed?
bidderman1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #54
Andy from Sandy

This is how Harley Davidson do it.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...11-67700145--1

As you can see each led has a lens to focus the light.

On the back are huge fins I assume for heat dissipation.
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #55
ollienoclue

A lot of cars come with poor quality halogen bulbs fitted. Just buy branded ones from OSRAM etc and the improvement is 100%.

My truck was just like this. On dipped beam you could not see more than 5m clearly. Changed bulbs and it was probably triple that and easier on the eye, too.
ollienoclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #56
MBRuss
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post
LED sidelight bulbs are one thing, but for retrofit to normal projector (halogen) main/dipped beam forget it.

Halogen projector headlights are designed to take a very specific light source and focus it precisely in a specific area, so it lights up the part of the road that you need it to. Whilst they may be much brighter and far more energy efficient, LED bulbs do not emit the correct pattern of light to allow the headlight to focus it, so you get a scattered beam that a: doesn't light up the road properly and b: dazzles any other road users unlucky enough to be coming towards you.

They might look great when fitted, but you'll annoy the hell out of everybody and will have difficulty where there is no street lighting. You also won't get through an MOT or a police spot check as the bulbs will not be e-marked and so are not road legal, although I am aware that that doesn't seem to matter to many people.
This is the main issue with these LED bulbs. I'm not sure if any of them are road legal or will pass an MOT. Plus you may be dazzling oncoming cars, which is very dangerous, unless you enjoy head on collisions... IMO light bulbs, tyres, brakes, and wiper blades aren't things that should me messed about with. Just buy some Osram Nightbreakers or something - a proven bulb that is bright and legal to use.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MBRuss For This Useful Post:
Cons91 (14-11-2017), Mcpx (06-11-2017), sshooie (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #57
bidderman1969
Distinguished Detailer

I shall try and pop into my MoT garage today or tomorrow to see if they are out badly or not
Old 06-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #58
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,060 Posts
Garage
Much as I like the idea of LED lights, I won't be changing any of mine - the reason being, if I was unlucky enough to be involved in an RTA where any kind of lighting became a question, an insurer could point to any kind of improperly* modified lights on my car and use them to either shift blame onto me, or worst case even invalidate my cover. It doesn't matter if the lights in question are better, worse or no different to what is OEM on the car, what matters here is the letter of the law - and if you're outside of it, you better believe the sharks who run insurance in this country these days will do anything they can to wriggle out of a payment if they can.

*As it currently stands, no LED bulbs can be retrofitted and used legally on UK roads - you would have to replace an entire headlamp unit with a specifically manufactured replacement (like the one Osram makes for the Mk7 Golf, for instance).
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
streaky (07-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #59
Mcpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
Much as I like the idea of LED lights, I won't be changing any of mine - the reason being, if I was unlucky enough to be involved in an RTA where any kind of lighting became a question, an insurer could point to any kind of improperly* modified lights on my car and use them to either shift blame onto me, or worst case even invalidate my cover. It doesn't matter if the lights in question are better, worse or no different to what is OEM on the car, what matters here is the letter of the law - and if you're outside of it, you better believe the sharks who run insurance in this country these days will do anything they can to wriggle out of a payment if they can.

*As it currently stands, no LED bulbs can be retrofitted and used legally on UK roads - you would have to replace an entire headlamp unit with a specifically manufactured replacement (like the one Osram makes for the Mk7 Golf, for instance).
Is the same not true of aftermarket HID’s? If the headlight itself is not designed for them then they will not give the correct dispersal and light pattern. Headlights in modern cars have come on leaps and bounds but I still get blinded by people who don’t know what the angle adjustment button does.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #60
bidderman1969
Distinguished Detailer

No one has flashed me yet, in fact I was flashed more than once when I had the Chevvy Epica, with standard bulbs in tbh, had them checked at the time more than once, and it was perfect

Looking at the Osrams etc, that give more light actually only last 1/2 the time which is a bummer lol