Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 26-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #1
chris chappell
Sponge Jockey

Dealer car wash

Wife took our BMW 335 met black touring to dealership 2 weeks ago for some warranty work doing. I couldn't take it as I had just had an operation. They told her- your car is nearly ready, we're just washing it for you!!!
I recovered sufficiently to drive it yesterday and the paintwork is scratched from one end to the other!!
I bought it at 1 yr old, machine polished it when bought 2yrs ago. Must have washed it at least 20 times in that 2 years and there wasn't a mark on it. BMW washed it once and it's a disgrace.
Rang up and service manager said, we wash 80 cars a week and they go on forecourt and nobody complains. So I said, well that doesn't mean you wash them properly does it? He actually agreed.
I have to take it in and let body shop manager have a look. I have visions of some hairy arsed body shop bloke giving it a good seeing to with a nice high speed rotary and a lambs wool pad and it coming out in a right state.
I reckon it needs a professional detail to get it back to the condition it was in before they washed it.
Has anybody any opinions on this that I can arm myself with before I take it back to dealership??
chris chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 12:33 AM   #2
bigbruiser
PC Perfectionist

Been covered a few times on here about dealers and washing a search should give some reading and ammo
bigbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,154 Posts
Well your first port of call is as you've said, to let them look at it and see what they say / offer and go from there...

Getting yourself prepared ? Well my humble opinion, don't go in looking for a fight, don't go in all guns blazing I want this / you need to do that etc... Just be calm, friendly, obviously unhappy with the situation and proceed from there, remember the main thing you want is it returning to the good state is was before its warranty work...

If you want more specific answers / opinions if it's a simple polish or much more, you'll need to pop photos up for people to see.

Hope you get it sorted out and everything goes smoothly
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
Big Bri
PC Perfectionist

99.99% Of our customers cars only get a decent wash when they have been in for service.Not just a wash,windows,interior vac and a wipe down inside. A Mini valet if you go with local hand-wash specs.Its actually an area of complaint when they haven't had time to wash all the service cars.Customers are happy to call back if they want the service.
They dont have to have it washed.Levels of expectation will vary also.Accidents can happen and its a wash,not a detail.Hence i do my own.

BB
Big Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
dazzlers82

Garage
I always prep my dealer to not wash inc hanging signs in the car, I also always say to them write it done on the paper work whilst I’m here.
dazzlers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
Ultra

Garage
You will be better off sorting the paintwork out yourself and moving on.
Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ultra For This Useful Post:
cleancar (15-02-2018), RandomlySet (06-02-2018), Rundie (27-01-2018), sshooie (27-01-2018)
Old 27-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
Barbel330
Washmitt Meister

I agree with above, sort it out yourself and get on with life.

Without wishing to sound harsh on you, it's kind of your own fault for not telling them that you're especially anal (most of us are on this forum) about the condition of your paintwork having spent time perfecting it yourself so PLEASE DO NOT WASH IT!!!

You need to remember that those of us who care about the finer details of our cars paintwork are in a HUGE minority and it's impossible for a dealership to know this unless you specifically tell them. If you had clearly told them this and they still washed/damaged it I'd say go at them and get it rectified at they're cost.

The wash methods at a high turnover dealership are not to our standards, if they were they'd never get through the numbers of cars they need to per day so we can't expect a safe wash.

I've regularly worked at a Mercedes-Benz dealership for 18 years and I can tell you that I've never seen a grit guard, 2 bucket wash or a drying towel there in my life.

Last edited by Barbel330; 27-01-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Barbel330 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barbel330 For This Useful Post:
cleancar (15-02-2018), DimitriUK (01-02-2018)
Old 27-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
Simz

DO NOT WASH THIS CAR, DW mirror hanger and a photo of it is my way of dealing with this type of problem, i admit that this only helps you going forward.
Simz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simz For This Useful Post:
MarkP80 (01-02-2018)
Old 27-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
chris chappell
Sponge Jockey

Thank you.

Thanks for your replies so far. I will pay the dealership a visit next week, go in softly softly and see where we get to. Don't want their body shop to touch it, would rather let a detailer sort it out. Don't really want 2 days unnecessary work myself either to be honest but that might be what it ends up as.

It's not just the car trade, I have been in the building/ property maintenance business self employed for over 40 yrs with hardly a complaint however each time I employ somebody to do a job for me they make a botch up of it!!!
chris chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
Rundie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris chappell View Post
It's not just the car trade, I have been in the building/ property maintenance business self employed for over 40 yrs with hardly a complaint however each time I employ somebody to do a job for me they make a botch up of it!!!
Agreed, moved into a new build and had a long list of snagging jobs due to shoddy workmanship. After 6 months I've now decided to finish off the smaller jobs that are left as the complete lack of skills and experience I've seen has been shocking. I'm an engineer by trade with decent DIY skills yet I have more knowledge and skills than most on site
Rundie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rundie For This Useful Post:
Alex29 (06-02-2018)