Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 18-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
stealthwolf
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Windscreen mist

Now the weather temps have dropped, the inside windscreen of my car is fogged up when I get in. Using the demister (just AC, no heated windscreen sadly) it can take 10-15 minutes to fully clear. I've hated using demister pads because they leave marks that are visible when it fogs up again a few minutes down the road.

Any clever suggestions?
stealthwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Andy1972
Washmitt Meister

its due to condensation in your car, ie water mist in the air. You could try putting some cat litter (no joke) in a small breathable bag under a seat or something. That will soak up the moisture and reduce it, although I don't think you'll ever stop it completely.
Andy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
dannyd21
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthwolf View Post
Now the weather temps have dropped, the inside windscreen of my car is fogged up when I get in. Using the demister (just AC, no heated windscreen sadly) it can take 10-15 minutes to fully clear. I've hated using demister pads because they leave marks that are visible when it fogs up again a few minutes down the road.

Any clever suggestions?
Try not to have your heating on hot in the evening when driving home, as you will get condensation when the temp drops at night.

Maybe try some dehumidifier device from Wilko at night?
dannyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
virgiltracey
Washmitt Meister

"Pingi" car dehumidifier is the best one i've used, they're about £5 in tesco currently, or readily available on ebay.

it absorbs the moisture like the cat litter idea but it has a "spot" that changes colour when it's "full" when that happens you bang it in the microwve and zap it back to new
virgiltracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
garage_dweller
Washmitt Meister

Surely even if the car is moisture free then as soon as you get in the car will mist up from your breath.
garage_dweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Stoner
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1972 View Post
its due to condensation in your car, ie water mist in the air. You could try putting some cat litter (no joke) in a small breathable bag under a seat or something. That will soak up the moisture and reduce it, although I don't think you'll ever stop it completely.

I use a similar version to this using calcium chloride (on eBay for £5 for 1kg). Get a Tupperware type container, punch a few holes in the top and put a small amount of the crystals in the pot. It needs changing every few weeks (maybe sooner if your car is very misty) but one bag should last for a couple of months.

Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
\Rian
Orbital Oracle

Garage
I found that leaving the window open just a bit when driving helped, I have wind deflectors so I can open it a bit without getting rain and wind blowing in, it realy does make a difference,
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #8
stealthwolf
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1972 View Post
You could try putting some cat litter (no joke) in a small breathable bag
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgiltracey View Post
"Pingi" car dehumidifier
I did have something similar that I bought from Amazon and had a little indicator window. It was reusable (ie you could dry it out in an oven). Not sure where it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyd21 View Post
Try not to have your heating on hot in the evening when driving home, as you will get condensation when the temp drops at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
I found that leaving the window open just a bit when driving helped, I have wind deflectors so I can open it a bit without getting rain and wind blowing in, it realy does make a difference,
Driving home in the evenings - it's cold and wet these days so I have the AC on and the windows shut. I guess for the last mile of the journey, I could have the windows open and AC off and see what happens. I'll give it a go tonight.
stealthwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
\Rian
Orbital Oracle

Garage
[/QUOTE]Driving home in the evenings - it's cold and wet these days so I have the AC on and the windows shut. I guess for the last mile of the journey, I could have the windows open and AC off and see what happens. I'll give it a go tonight.[/QUOTE]

Wind deflectors stop cold air coming in and stop rain coming in, I often in the summer time leave the windows open just a crack, you cant see it from the outside and it lets the car breath and no rain comes in, great way to vent the car, they are very practical and are intended for just what you need
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
Fairtony
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgiltracey View Post
"Pingi" car dehumidifier is the best one i've used, they're about £5 in tesco currently, or readily available on ebay.

it absorbs the moisture like the cat litter idea but it has a "spot" that changes colour when it's "full" when that happens you bang it in the microwve and zap it back to new

Where do you put it in the car? And how effective was it?

Also, has anyone used those glass treatments that are meant to stop fogging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fairtony is offline   Reply With Quote