Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 15-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #31
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
So, today's work:

New aluminium pressed number plates arrived. Given a quick coat of Collinite 476S and then fitted with fixings. Looking good!

Then cleaned/prepped the top of the bumper edge to fit the polished stainless protector (from Germany). Reasonable fit, and good quality - will protect the bumper from unexpected drops & scuffs.

I then set about cleaning out the lingering mild smell in the interior. I have already G101'd the carpets and mats etc, hoovered it within an inch of it's life and Scotchguard'd the interior. Now I thought I'd try the Meguairs Re-Fresher (and bought AG Leather Cleaner and AG Leather Protector whilst in Halfords - 15% discount card getting some work ) - oh and don't forget 3 for 2 on at the moment).

Smells pretty fresh inside - nothing like New Car (as it is named) but hopefully will iron out the final remaining age related smells.

I then decided to clean an old Lexus mat to put on top of the passenger mat, which is getting filthy all the time (until my black mats arrive from Lithuania).

Started like this:

After some a good hoover, pressure wash, and then cleaned with AS G101 it looked like this whilst drying. Looks pretty good now as it's almost dry (better than this pic and will do the job):

It was then onto the engine bay for an initial quick clean-up. It's pretty tidy inside, primarily as Lexus don't make a mess, but took the plastic cowling off - only 3 odd clips of the 13 holding it on - ordered tonnes of clips for all sort but as I work on the car notice there are clips missing all over the place.

Of course typically, I was taking a clip of and dropped a screwdriver in the engine bay! In the most awkward place, so queue up a piece of plastic pipe, then the socket set out to remove the under trays!

An idea of the bay before (did not take many pics).

I then AS G101'd it, pressure washed it (after covering some sensitive electrical bits), run the car to dry it, then used AS Engine & Machine Cleaner and again hosed it down and run the car/dried with an MF.

Post wash/cleaner:

I used a detailing brush, and a toothbrush as well as a Supagard wheel scrubber to clean the bay for 5 minutes then dried it down. I treated the plastics with Aerospace 303 and a MF for buffing.

And with the covers back on:

A few gratuitous shots as I was tidying up...

wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
ted11 (16-12-2017)
Old 16-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #32
rob267

Very nice. Never noticed this model until you got this car. Looks great buddy.
Nice job on the engine.
Keep the updates coming 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
rob267 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rob267 For This Useful Post:
wrxmania (16-08-2016)
Old 16-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #33
wrxmania

Garage
Will do ��
Old 16-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #34
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,715 Times in 2,037 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxmania View Post
Then cleaned/prepped the top of the bumper edge to fit the polished stainless protector (from Germany). Reasonable fit, and good quality - will protect the bumper from unexpected drops & scuffs.

Do you mind me asking where you got the bumper protector from and would you recommend it? I'm about to get a new bumper put on my car (Avensis) and I'd like to protect it from the off.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #35
STRicky
Sponge Jockey

Excellent work so far, always had a soft spot for these and good to see your getting it back to its best
STRicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #36
lemansblue92
Orbital Oracle

Garage
That Lexus must think its Christmas with how well its getting treated! Never realise how much power they produce, very nice motor indeed bud, Enjoy
lemansblue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #37
wrxmania

Garage
Thanks guys. Will update with today's "tidying" later
Old 16-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #38
wrxmania

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
Do you mind me asking where you got the bumper protector from and would you recommend it? I'm about to get a new bumper put on my car (Avensis) and I'd like to protect it from the off.
It's this one here - quality good, fit so-so for me. Have had other ones that fit spot on so hopefully the Avensis one will be ideal:

Bumper Trim Cover - eBay link
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
steelghost (16-08-2016)
Old 16-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #39
angel1449
PC Perfectionist

Thees a man whos proud of his motor and rightly so, looks stunning mate keep up the good work
angel1449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 10:06 PM   #40
wrxmania

Garage
Well, today's updates...some good, some not so great...

I spent quite a while working on cleaning up the inside of the bootlid and trim around the boot entry - it's missing clips anyway for the trim, but also quite a bit of untidiness as it had the boot painted just before I picked it up - it was quite scruffy, had a small dent and was quite scuffed by rough handling over the years.

I took some before pics but they are taking ages to upload - so just imagine it

Some afters:

I even cleaned up the battery in the boot a bit:

and found the owner had expensive tastes - this was beside the battery...

I then went on to give the tyres & wheels a quick wash and dry, as they needed new tyre gel - used Meguairs Endurance for this - I quite like it but it is VERY messy to apply and the applicator goes in the bin every time. I also like to rub it down after half an hour with an old MF to take down some of the gloss and protect the car from splashing from the gel - I generally apply it when the car will be sitting for a while just to make sure. I may try another product, although there is something I like about it (excuse the car not being clean).

I then decided, as the car was due to go into the body shop for some general straightening of the front nearside wing/bumper (not fitted very well by the bodyshop before I got it - it has a new front bumper), clip fixing and also to fix a bit of the rear bumper not in line and have a look to see why the two new parking sensors fitted before I picked the car up are not working (I have the receipt). In crawling under the car with a torch I could see why they were not working - THEY WERE NOT PLUGGED IN!!!

After a bit of searching and some bravery, as well as the fact that more than half of the bumper fixings are missing and on order from Lexus, I decided to remove the rear bumper.
A pretty easy job, and filthy inside. Could see straight away the sensors unplugged - 20 seconds later and all plugged in, and seems to be working fine with the bumper off

However, the less positive is it seems to have had a corner bump at some point (I'd say not overly long ago) and that has some paint cracking, a bit of metal squashed in, and some surface rust...also spotted a wee bit of surface rust at the other side where the bumper is slightly out of line - but that's unrelated.

So, currently, the bumper is sitting off, and I am coating it with multiple coats of Hammerite Kurust after taking away any loose paint. It's coming up quite well, and as it's so surface, it was a wise move to remove the bumper and find it. At least now, I will have caught any potential problems with the rear valance (would have taken years to get anywhere, so I may have added on a couple of years at least)...

Here's some pics:

The side which is undamaged:

The side with IS damaged (before tidy up - looks worse than it is from this angle):

and after the initial scrape/Hammerite Kurust:

Of course, I used the chance to get some G101 and some Aerospace 303 in there too, for a VERY quick tidy up, but keeps it slightly more waterproof

Plans tomorrow are to get some paint on the chipped/Kurusted bits, and then get some coats of lacquer on it and that should more than hold it at bay I think. Luckily nothing in the structure, or any other parts of the bumper are affected at all, so looks like the owner has reversed into a bollard or something - likely because his parking sensor at that corner was broken - or because he broke it whilst reversing into a bollard...

I am also hoping to make a start on the door shuts as they need a decent bit of paint cleansing (Swissol) and some protection/seals done too. Gotta love holidays!

The saga continues

Last edited by wrxmania; 16-08-2016 at 10:14 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
SBM (23-08-2016), sshooie (17-08-2016), ted11 (16-12-2017)