Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
FTB
Unwashed Member

Stainless spokes are corroded - help please!

So here's my current ride:

Lovely bike, performs far better than I do and has yet to spit me into a hedge / bus / building so all good. It's a Honda too, so great quality - 18mths old, 7k miles and still scrubbing up well.

BUT I have an issue with the spokes - wanted to see if you had any clever ideas to get them looking OK again. I have been back to the dealer (and got new rims under warranty) but they won't replace the corroded spokes:

They look dirty, but the metal has actually corroded and gone black. So far I have tried autosol, nev-r-dull, brasso, and luster laces as well as the usual SDoc100 cleaner but the corrosion is really deep. Final option is to whip the wheels off and give them a dose of optiglanz but that stuff's so strong that I worry about being able to blank off the anodised rims properly. I certainly don't want to have to replace the rims again.

Any good ideas or tips to try before "going nuclear"? My suspicion is also that I'll get them clean and they'll just corrode again but relacing both wheels is expensive and will mean the bike's off the road for a week or two - I use it every day to commute...

Thanks in advance!

FTB
FTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
GSD
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I don't think there's a lot to be done if they are that bad,replace or treat the rust and paint are the options I see,very nice motorcycle that is I wouldn't let the spoke thing spoil it for you.
GSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
suds

Garage
Don't forget to PM your answer for prize raffle FTB

Paint em black/gold?

Last edited by suds; 03-07-2018 at 06:25 PM.
suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
FTB
Unwashed Member

Thanks both - i think you're right. Was just hoping there would be a "just give it a rub with a lemon and you'll be fine" but it looks like i'll need to get the wheels out and set about it with some hammerite.
lovely. expect a half can of the stuff on ebay in the next couple of weeks...
FTB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FTB For This Useful Post:
suds (03-07-2018)
Old 20-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
Simz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTB View Post
So here's my current ride:

Lovely bike, performs far better than I do and has yet to spit me into a hedge / bus / building so all good. It's a Honda too, so great quality - 18mths old, 7k miles and still scrubbing up well.

BUT I have an issue with the spokes - wanted to see if you had any clever ideas to get them looking OK again. I have been back to the dealer (and got new rims under warranty) but they won't replace the corroded spokes:

They look dirty, but the metal has actually corroded and gone black. So far I have tried autosol, nev-r-dull, brasso, and luster laces as well as the usual SDoc100 cleaner but the corrosion is really deep. Final option is to whip the wheels off and give them a dose of optiglanz but that stuff's so strong that I worry about being able to blank off the anodised rims properly. I certainly don't want to have to replace the rims again.

Any good ideas or tips to try before "going nuclear"? My suspicion is also that I'll get them clean and they'll just corrode again but relacing both wheels is expensive and will mean the bike's off the road for a week or two - I use it every day to commute...

Thanks in advance!

FTB

You could try acf -50 as it’s designed to eat any corrosion and coat at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,952 Times in 3,627 Posts
Garage
I was going to suggest Harpic. Yes, Harpic. At least when I read the thread title. I don't think it'll work well with the nicely finished rims though.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote