Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 25-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #41
jim23496
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Right then guys sorry for leaving this so long but had a right old time with the last two cars/ sheds that i bought lol ill explain all now..

So basically i got rid of my lovely mint condition green 106 because i was at a car auction and spotted a Audi TT 225 bam going for £600 so thought i need a bit of that in my life lol here it was when i purchased it

Now the thing about me and german cars is... we really dont get on lol every german car i have owned just breaks within days of me owning it and doesnt stop breaking untill i sell it the audi was simply costing me a fortune to run and keep running so i sold it within a couple months looking like this

Lovely car, fast and refined but a bit boring and too expensive to run

So me being the genuis i am bought a bargain fabia VRS in black, well not so much as a bargain as a death trap as it turns out all of the subframe was loose and every bolt cross threaded so completely un driveable
So i had that for 3 days and sold it at a loss

Here was the subframe , as you can see theres a gap where the bolt goes in which should be flush

So where did that leave me? Well i had £500 to my name now for a car to get me to work be reliable and fun, now everytime this happens theres usually a cheeky frenchie just waiting for me in the for sale pages/ ebay, and this time was no exception as while scrolling through autotrader i spotted a diamond in the shape of a wicked red saxo VTR

10 months mot 120k miles and my exact budget i traveled to the center of birmingham to see this car and it was love at first sight haha i quickly told the chap to grab the logbook and i got my money ready and drove away happy as larry

This was when i first got it back home

After looking over the car it needs bits and bobs here and there but nothing too extreme but the main thing is it drives great purs like a kitten and the bodywork is nearly mint, result!

So i gave it a good wash and brush up inside and out and it looks great now i absolutely love this colour haha

As you can see its not done bad for its age haha

Now the plans are to make this car mint condition throughout and its going to be the basis for a turbo conversion once the rest of it is sorted with a few handling mods and brake upgrade so basically what i was going to do with the green 106 haha

Will update soon with some progress hopefully
jim23496 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jim23496 For This Useful Post:
JR1982 (25-05-2018), Pp172 (26-05-2018), SBM (27-08-2018)
Old 25-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #42
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Love that Saxo, but shame about the other two. How does somebody even strip the threads on something as robust as a subframe mounting??

Autotrader has by far the best app and user interface these days (take note Pistonheads Classifieds) and now that you can list cars under £1k for free it's become a great place to hunt for bargains like this one. Sold my MG ZR that way and you also seem to avoid the "what's your lowest price" idiots that you get on GumTree/eBay etc.
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James_G For This Useful Post:
jim23496 (25-05-2018)
Old 25-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #43
jim23496

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G View Post
Love that Saxo, but shame about the other two. How does somebody even strip the threads on something as robust as a subframe mounting??

Autotrader has by far the best app and user interface these days (take note Pistonheads Classifieds) and now that you can list cars under £1k for free it's become a great place to hunt for bargains like this one. Sold my MG ZR that way and you also seem to avoid the "what's your lowest price" idiots that you get on GumTree/eBay etc.
Haha thankyou and i really dont know how they managed it, it was also missing 2 steering rack bolts and a ball joint bolt so was a surprise it even drove to be honest haha

And autotrader has got a lot better these days ive sold a couple cars on there and i cant say ive had one time waster so far which is a result lol
Old 26-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #44
Pp172
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Gutted about the TT but more so the fabia vrs. I have a want for one of those, not sure why though. It’s a shame how so many cars are bodged completely!
Well done on the Saxo VTR, I never liked these when my mates had them new back in the day but if I had to get a cheap car I’d definitely consider one. They seem like such good fun.
Pp172 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pp172 For This Useful Post:
jim23496 (26-05-2018)
Old 26-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #45
James_R

Nice little Saxo Jim.

Looks in great condition for a 2003 plate !!!

I remember your rattle canned racing blue RS Clio rep - magic stuff
Subscribed to see what happens to the Saxo :-)
James_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James_R For This Useful Post:
jim23496 (26-05-2018)
Old 26-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #46
jim23496

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pp172 View Post
Gutted about the TT but more so the fabia vrs. I have a want for one of those, not sure why though. It’s a shame how so many cars are bodged completely!
Well done on the Saxo VTR, I never liked these when my mates had them new back in the day but if I had to get a cheap car I’d definitely consider one. They seem like such good fun.

Well im not sure i made a thread on it on here but i did used to own a fabia vrs around a year ago, was insanely fast had a stage 2 hybrid turbo pd150 head bolts front mount intercooler egr delete etc etc, it was dyno'd at 220bhp and i think 380nm of torque so it was a riot but needed too much work so i sold it on haha, amazing cars though when tuned and still returning decent mpg!

Funnily enough the car i bought to replace it was familiar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jim23496 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (28-05-2018), SBM (27-08-2018)
Old 26-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #47
jim23496

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_R View Post
Nice little Saxo Jim.

Looks in great condition for a 2003 plate !!!

I remember your rattle canned racing blue RS Clio rep - magic stuff
Subscribed to see what happens to the Saxo :-)

Haha i loved that clio, to date one of the best projects i did i amazed even myself with that paint job

And the saxo is deffo in great condition but does have the usual rot which needs tending to haha

Old 26-05-2018, 11:39 PM   #48
jim23496

Garage
The dream build...

Right then some progress from today

As normal procedure when i buy a new car with no cambelt history i decided to change the belt waterpump and tensioner

So top cover off

Found some quite bodgey looking welding which im going to have to re do

Bit more stripped

Looks like i got here just in time with this one haha

New water pump and tensioner on

New belt on

And rebuilt

Next i gave the engine bay a quick spruce up , nothing too in depth i just hate opening the bonnet to a tonne of dirt haha

So before

And after

Hopefully more soon if we get any decent weather haha

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jim23496 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (28-05-2018), SBM (27-08-2018)
Old 27-05-2018, 01:47 AM   #49
transtek

and normal service is resumed!
Great to see your new project!
transtek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transtek For This Useful Post:
jim23496 (27-05-2018)
Old 27-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #50
ibiza55

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,354 Posts
Garage
Jim is back, new car again, not a massive surprise to us really. I don't know where you find all these saxo's and 106's, this one does look a keeper though Jim?
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
jim23496 (27-05-2018)