Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 16-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
Andy1972
Washmitt Meister

So while I donít own a mclaren haha I do often like to clean dust off my car over a weekend and I confess Iíve done what that guy has done

How best to do it properly without washing it again?
Andy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #12
MBRuss
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1972 View Post
So while I donít own a mclaren haha I do often like to clean dust off my car over a weekend and I confess Iíve done what that guy has done

How best to do it properly without washing it again?
The correct answer is: wash it again properly, or just leave the dust there until the next wash.

You can do a rinseless wash, but personally I wouldn't even do that if free flowing water is available to me.

Dust and pollen and dirt is generally pretty gritty, so the more lubrication you can use to get rid of it, the better.

Your question is like saying, "do I have to change all my engine oil, or can I just put a bit of a top up in there?" If you're going to make the effort to mess around with the oil you might as well do it properly and change the lot. Plus topping up too much could cause more problems than it solves.

Same with quick wipedowns to get dust off. Would you rather your car is slightly dusty with nice paint underneath, or nice and clean, with a ton of micromarring?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBRuss For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (19-07-2018)
Old 16-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #13
JamesRS5
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I live in the Middle East where the car gets a coating of dust on a daily basis, it’s just part of living here. I apply ceramic coatings and recommend rinsing the car over with a hose (not a pressure washer) this removes the majority of surface contaminants and because it’s a hose, the water sheets off the ceramic coating leaving a dry panel.

I watch the boys cleaning cars in the car parks, they give the cars a light spray with water and then using towels, they wipe them down. This is on some of the most exotic cars you can imagine! All they are doing is making a grinding paste, the cars look hideous in direct sunlight.
JamesRS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #14
Chris Donaldson
Orbital Oracle

I did start to say something to educate him but he kept interrupting and going off at a tangent. He kept going up to my car and touching it because it was finished very well. After me having told him a couple of times not to touch it, his daughter told him and I then said if he touched it again he'd lose his fingers. I think he realised just how much it was bothering me and behaved himself. He was just very enthusiastic about the cars but didn't stop and listen to anything.

As has been said, ONR is great for this sort of dust removal. I was a sceptic until recently but in my opinion it does very much have a place in detailing and this scenario is ideal.
Chris Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #15
MBRuss

Further to my above post I should say that if you really absolutely have to get the dust off and really cannot wash it properly, then your best bet is to get a load of really plush clean microfibres and some ONR (Optimum No Rinse) in a trigger sprayer and spritz the cloth down well and the panel down well, then veeeerrrrry lightly wipe the surface over, rolling the cloth as you go, so you're not just wiping the dirt across the paint, but sort of picking it up.

ONR is very slippy, so lubricates the paint well. That's your best bet, but even with these products I'd just rather not.

Bear in mind that some paints can be scratched just by having a brand new clean super soft microfibre cloth wiped over them. And that's when the car is freshly washed and perfectly clean. Add a layer of dirt in there and it's like sanding the paint.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #16
dazzlers82

Garage
I see this at shows all the time, nice cars being wiped down rather than washed.
dazzlers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #17
minidaveo
Washmitt Meister

Is it me or does it have hazed over headlights on there!!.....
minidaveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #18
saabfan
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidaveo View Post
Is it me or does it have hazed over headlights on there!!.....
They do look a little hazy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
saabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #19
minidaveo
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabfan View Post
They do look a little hazy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Guess it was plastic and not glass to save weight
minidaveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 01:00 AM   #20
Jonathank
Sponge Jockey

Donít feel too bad. This was Ronan Atkinsonís F1 and he smashed it up pretty good twice. Swirls on a Cat D?

In all seriousness, I saw the car at the FOS and wasnít that impressed. Didnít like the colour much either.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...cLaren-F1.html
Jonathank is offline   Reply With Quote