Detailing World Forum banner

Recommend a garden hose + reel

6K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  neilmcl 
#1 ·
After losing my temper big time with my old hoselock reel, i want to buy a top quality water pipe hose with a decent reel.

It mustn't kink and be at least 20m long.

Been looking at Gardena stuff and they seem to be tidy stuff, any other good stuff?
Ideally i'd like something from Eley but that seems to be US only, typical, but that's the quality i'm after

#4 · (Edited)
I recommended this, I use it now and it is decent but I would not say it does not kink, it is less likely to and is superior to the yellow Hozelock one it replaced. If the main thing is the op does not want one that kinks at all, then give this one a miss.

In the end it depends on what you are are doing that causes kinks, this one typically does it if I am washing shampoo off rear nearside and then walk back across and take it to the front offside. That causes it to cross over itself and if not straightened it will form a kink.

But for the money and a little bit of thought in use it is good and I would buy it again. I split it into two 10m lengths anyway so there is less hose before the pw.

#5 · (Edited)
#8 ·
I have 50m of this hose from B&Q. Takes some serious effort to kink it and it's 5/8 hose rather than the normal 1/2 so gives better flow rate. Be aware though there is also a 1/2 version of the same hose for the same price so check the labelling in store. In the current colder weather it can be a little inflexible but that is true of any tough hose and the benefits more than make up for it.

Also just recently picked up one of These Karcher reels from Wickes for 20 quid! Has a clever folding system to save on storage space and while not as heavy duty as the Claber reel it replaced, it does actually work better. The included Karcher hose is the cheap kinky type but for twenty notes you can't complain, mine is currently carrying about 40m of the 5/8 Verve hose no problem.

#16 ·
Like most people we get the thin walled 12mm garden hose and it is alright for a while but the soft wall kinks very easily.

Now you mention hozelock and I have the tricoflex hose in 19mm diameter. It is very hard to kink but also if I do pull a loop tight around a car wheel it straightens out very easily. At no point where I have formed a kink is there any signs of it happening.

Not all hozelock hoses are rubbish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.