Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #11
BigJimmyBovine
Orbital Oracle

Churchills Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Giles Milton is well worth a read. About a "dirty tricks" division and some of their exploits in WW2

I also enjoyed Sink The Belgrano by Mike Rossiter. No explanation needed really!

If you fancy a read about the 1st Gulf War then Warthog by William L Smallwood is good, gives an insight into what the A10 contributed.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand about Louis Zamperini is another, far better than the film if you've seen it. His life is so incredible it's almost a work of fiction!

Forgot to add; Dunkirk, The Men They Left Behind by Sean Longden

Last edited by BigJimmyBovine; 29-12-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: More info
BigJimmyBovine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJimmyBovine For This Useful Post:
Mark R5 (30-12-2017)
Old 29-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
Alfieharley1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,349 Times in 1,030 Posts
Never road a book in any of my none school days however for X-Mas the Father in Law brought me "Michael Dunlop - Road Racer"
I actually am really enjoying it so far so would definetly recommend if you are into Bikes, TT , Bike History etc.

I think this will be the means to go on and read more but only within the Motorbike Area.
Alfieharley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfieharley1 For This Useful Post:
Mark R5 (30-12-2017)
Old 29-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #13
PugIain
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,787 Times in 2,172 Posts
Garage
I very rarely read books (my brain doesn't slow down enough these days) but when I do I read Discworld novels. I've got most of them.
PugIain is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PugIain For This Useful Post:
Mark R5 (30-12-2017), muzzer (29-12-2017)
Old 29-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #14
muzzer

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,933 Posts
Garage
One other i can recommend but wont be cheap, is Sled Driver by Brian Shul all about flying the SR-71 Blackbird.

Actually, forget that i just looked it up on Amazon and despite it being a good read, i would not pay £837 for a hard back book

No that really wasn't a mis-print
Old 30-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #15
RobTex
Sponge Jockey

Read Sled Driver as well. It is highly entertaining but very difficult to find.

I am a huge fan of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have an excellent series called the Pendergast Series. Start with Relic and move forward. Total mind candy!
RobTex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobTex For This Useful Post:
Mark R5 (30-12-2017)
Old 30-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #16
Taxboy
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark ST View Post
Spot on cheers. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions
I'm a fan of Ben McIntyre so SAS Rogue Heroes, Operation Mincemeat and A Spy Amongst Friends are all good reads but written in a fast paced almost fiction way. He has also done TV programmes on some of these but I recommend the reading the books first

Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White is another good read of a little known mission in fairly recent times.

Of the biogs I enjoyed Soldier Spy by Tom Marcus which brings home the stresses an pressures of working as an MI5 operative

For WW1 Max Hastings Catastrophe provides a good insight of the early days of the WW1

If you prefer a more detailed approach to WW2 battles / campaigns then Anthony Beevor or is highly recommended. He brings the true scale and horror of warfare to life.

Hope this is of some use. Once you start reading you will soon get a feel for what your own tastes are and won't be able to pass by a charity shop again !

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Taxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taxboy For This Useful Post:
Mark R5 (30-12-2017)
Old 30-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #17
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,389 Times in 1,620 Posts
An older, but still fascinating book is “The Bullet Catchers” by ex SAS Tony Geraghty, which is an insiders view of the work of Bodyguards and Close Protection officers.

Some really interesting observations about the day to day nature of being a pro bodyguard for important people and assessing where threats are likely to occur.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
Mark R5 (30-12-2017)
Old 30-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #18
Mark R5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
I'm a fan of Ben McIntyre so SAS Rogue Heroes, Operation Mincemeat and A Spy Amongst Friends are all good reads but written in a fast paced almost fiction way. He has also done TV programmes on some of these but I recommend the reading the books first

Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White is another good read of a little known mission in fairly recent times.

Of the biogs I enjoyed Soldier Spy by Tom Marcus which brings home the stresses an pressures of working as an MI5 operative

For WW1 Max Hastings Catastrophe provides a good insight of the early days of the WW1

If you prefer a more detailed approach to WW2 battles / campaigns then Anthony Beevor or is highly recommended. He brings the true scale and horror of warfare to life.

Hope this is of some use. Once you start reading you will soon get a feel for what your own tastes are and won't be able to pass by a charity shop again !

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
You weren't wrong mate, very similar in tastes there. Have got and read several books by authors you've mentioned - Ben McIntyre and Anthony Beevor.

Will look at the others you've mentioned though as I haven't read any books by the other authors you've mentioned.

Plenty to go at me thinks. Other's I've read which you may like if you haven't read them already:

The Shankill Butchers - true harrowing accounts of incidents/murder in Northern Ireland.

First in to Action - Duncan Falconer. About his life in the Marines and SBS and where he saw service - predominantly Northern Ireland. Goes a little in to the training camps and assessment camps with some funny anecdotes, along with some sad ones too.

Stakeknife - Martin Ingram - all about the Stephens enquiry and about the exploits of the FRU (Force Research Unit) in Northern Ireland, although this is a whistle blowers account

Agent ZigZag - Ben MacIntyre another account of double agent Eddie Chapman during WW2. Excellent book.

Sniper One - Dan Mills. Detailing the accounts of a sniper unit in Iraq during one of the heaviest siege engagements since Rourke's Drift if I remember rightly.

Barefoot Soldier - Johnson Beharry VC. Details how he came from Grenada to join the army and from there how he distinguished himself in combat and was awarded the Victoria Cross.

The Watchman - Chris Ryan. This is a fictional story about agents in Northern Ireland but could almost be believable.
Mark R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark R5 For This Useful Post:
Taxboy (31-12-2017)
Old 30-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #19
Mark R5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyBovine View Post
Churchills Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Giles Milton is well worth a read. About a "dirty tricks" division and some of their exploits in WW2

I also enjoyed Sink The Belgrano by Mike Rossiter. No explanation needed really!

If you fancy a read about the 1st Gulf War then Warthog by William L Smallwood is good, gives an insight into what the A10 contributed.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand about Louis Zamperini is another, far better than the film if you've seen it. His life is so incredible it's almost a work of fiction!

Forgot to add; Dunkirk, The Men They Left Behind by Sean Longden
Another couple I've not read there so thanks. Will def be giving the 'dirty tricks' book a go - right up my street that.

I'm going to be busy for a while ha, will report back with how I've found the books I've read. I'll add a list of what I've bought and read.
Mark R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #20
muzzer

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,933 Posts
Garage
If you like factual books and are interested in cars, then give the following a read

How To Build A Car

It's Adrien Newey's autobiography of sorts and is well worth a read, it's funny in places and he goes through various cars and the technological innovations that were made, explains how he came up with the idea in the first place, provides copies of his sketches showing how they work but most importantly explains it so you can understand how and why they work, or not in some cases.
He covers parts of his personal life which is not what you would expect and details various exploits of his driving ability or lack thereof.
I always thought a bit of an egg head and a bit....well.....you're beneath me because i'm a genius but having read this i have a new found respect for him as a person.