Detailing World Forum banner

Stone chip repair.

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  pugoman 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new here so excuse me if this isn't in the right place. Im going to tackle the stone chips on the front bumper of my 2011 mini one in black I'm going to try to attach photos. and Im just confirming that before I do it I have the right idea. I've bought the correct touch up paint from mini to match my car a94 I believe the colour code is from memory. It's a two part touch up colour and then lacquer. So this is how Im assuming it's done, can someone more knowledgeable than me let me know if it's right.
Clay whole panel
Degrease and dry it.
Then with a ****tail stick dab that paint in the stone chips so the paint is below the level of surrounding paint
Let cure then put lacquer(clear coat) over the top above the surrounding paint.
When done all chips wet sand with 3000 grit so spots are level with surrounding paintwork. And while I'm at it may as well wet sand the whole bumper.
Use cutting compound and finally polish it.
Any tips or tricks would be great too. Especially in the wet sanding department as I'm doing it by hand for the first time?
Many Thanks
James

See less See more
#3 ·
Your plan of action that you've described is about right. It's pretty much how I deal with stone chips.

But looking at the first pic you've linked to, you have lots of chips right on corners/edges. You are playing a very dangerous game wetsanding and compounding along those areas, even by hand. High risk of going through the paint and making a mess of things!

I'd just mix up a tiny bit of colour and clear and fill the chips in with the ****tail stick or even a needle, and see what they look like from a few feet away, you may just be happy with the result, and then you won't have to risk the sanding and compounding scenario.

#4 ·
On second thoughts, I know you've already purchased some touch up paint, but you might be better off with something like the Chipex system? I've yet to try it, but looks like a much safer option for your needs. I get hammered with chips so it'll be worth a try for me too.

#5 ·
Sorry mate thought I replied to your first post but apparently not. Im going to give this touch up paint a crack first I got a bargain on it only paid 15 quid. I looked into the chipex system but I think it's 30 quid so I'll try the genuine mini paint and get back to you. I'll take your advice about mixing the lacquer with the paint for the edge. I will reply with photos when it's all done. I should get round to doing it in a few weeks thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.