Detailing World Forum banner

Garage storage cabinets - what do you use?

29K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  DrH 
#1 ·
As above, currently sorting out my newly acquired garage following a house move. I see most of the 'pro' looking garages use a series of cabinets with a nice worktop, but looking into it they're very expensive. I've been considering a cheaper alternative like B&Q or the like, what have you guys used? Pics would be great and details of where you got them from! :thumb:

thanks

#9 ·
Wow that looks pretty impressive!

RE; all the equipment, I suppose if it's your trade and livelihood then having a load of gear is fine, I generally only use a few items so I will be slimming down my kit list soon and having a more minimal set up.

As an alternative to kitchen cabinets (the only concern I had is that garages aren't as insulated as a house so may be more prone to dampness / moisture and may warp the kitchen cabinets that are designed for indoor use) I was looking at the sealy super line pro metal cabinets. My garage is not large so I'd only need a few so the cost wouldn't be too much of an issue. Has anyone tried these? They look great and can fit a nice wooden worktop too.

i.e.

#14 ·
I have a few used office filling cabinets in my garage, they're very good for general storage. I got them all second hand, you can usually find some very clean ones as most have only been used in an office for paperwork.

I just got a couple of metal shelving units from LIDL, they're excellent quality for £35 a bay.

#15 ·
I have just ordered 8 x 600mm wide x 800mm tall wall cabinets from IKEA.
The idea is to cover the back wall and get rid of any floor standing shelving. Hopefully these will look quite good once up.
I have some carpet tiles waiting to go down once the cupboards are up.

#24 ·
I was ready to buy the budget end cabinets from Wickes, before i was offered free kitchen cabinets from a friend of a friend - just added some new wall hanging brackets, a foam sheet at the rear to save any condensation , and a new worktop. I have a very heavy steel cupboard to the right with a mix of potions in it (bought for £2 from work when we closed a lab down)

I was having a clear out at the time so not very tidy !

Wouldn't be my first choice of colour; but when i tried to paint them with cheap pounshop primer and white gloss the paint didnt take to the fake wood and blistered too - lots of tardis later i got them back as they were. I thought about vinyl wrapping them but thats something for another time.

#29 ·
I remember having a garage that I could fit my car in. I still have the garage but now I’m engaged in a literal war with my wife and kids that see it as a space to dump junk.

Spent a whole weekend last week clearing it out, numerous trips to the skip ( the skip guys started calling me by first name!) and wife was impressed with the result. Even my 8 year old helped. Went in today when I started a car wash and they’ve hit it again. It’s full on stealth attack while I’m at work.

So dead jealous of these garages. A man cave is an important thing lol

#31 ·
I remember having a garage that I could fit my car in. I still have the garage but now I'm engaged in a literal war with my wife and kids that see it as a space to dump junk.

Spent a whole weekend last week clearing it out, numerous trips to the skip ( the skip guys started calling me by first name!) and wife was impressed with the result. Even my 8 year old helped. Went in today when I started a car wash and they've hit it again. It's full on stealth attack while I'm at work.

So dead jealous of these garages. A man cave is an important thing lol
change the locks & if they do get in lock them in it:lol:

#35 ·
I walked past a double garage on Sunday and shuddered as I saw the contents when the door opened. FULL of junk. I cannot abide junk like that, causes you so much stress too!!
Exactly, Lewis and they are the same type of people that laugh and shake their heads at me for putting my car in the garage. And they think it's me that's crazy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.