Detailing World Forum banner

Recommend cordless drill

7K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Titanium Htail 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new cordless hammer drill for very occasional diy use. Budget is £70-80. A colleague has just bought an Erbauer from Screwfix and says he is pleased with it. This is not a make I'm familiar with but happy to take advice from the collective wisdom on the forum

All advice appreciated

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
I was bought a ryobi cordless drill set about 8 or 9 years ago. It has been absolutely brilliant, the batteries last for ages, and they pack a great punch, even for masonry work or for long wood screws. I'd happily buy another again.

Just a wee tip, the higher the amp/hour aH rating on the battery, the longer they'll last and the harder they'll punch.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I was bought a ryobi cordless drill set about 8 or 9 years ago. It has been absolutely brilliant, the batteries last for ages, and they pack a great punch, even for masonry work or for long wood screws. I'd happily buy another again.

Just a wee tip, the higher the amp/hour aH rating on the battery, the longer they'll last and the harder they'll punch.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Ryobi was one of the names that escaped me, their one range with one battery that fits all tools comes with good reviews.

#7 · (Edited)
Useful advice. I made the foolish mistake of buying cheaply and regretting it. Bought a Bosch and it had next to no power and then I bought a Draper, an impulse buy when they were on half price offer at ASDA, battery life is under 10 minutes.

Like so many other things, buy cheaply and buy twice or buy a good product and buy it once.

eta.

Inspired by this just went looking to see whats around, need to be careful, saw a number of offers where no battery and no charger was included with the deal.

#8 ·
There are quite a few and I'd certainly recommend DeWalt or Makita (@dholdi :thumb: ), but what I would say for definite is buy something with the best amp/hour battery you can...

Bosch do some very nice DIY cordless drills - father in law has one and it's nice bit of kit to use on the occasions he does...

#9 ·
I don't have any Bosch cordless tools, however I have 2 Bosch angle grinders one of which is over 20 years old and still going strong, the other is the most ergonomic tool I've ever bought. I also have a Bosch SDS which is very powerful and as light as a feather.
As GPP says you can buy cheaply and twice however you need to balance that with use.

#10 ·
For occasional use, wouldn't a corded drill be better? I realise that Taxboy asked about cordless.....

I dont actually know, and you guys will know better than I do, but my occasional use cordless drill batteries always seem to fail after a while of not cycling the batteries, and I return to the corded one.

#14 ·
Recharging after use is not recommended for lithium cells. Unlike Ni-Cad and NiMh they maintain life and the cells degrade less when stored at about 40% charge.
Once a lithium pack drops below a certain point, not just voltage, it will not recharge at all because the internal protection circuits prevent it.
Once flattened, beyond a certain point, the internal resistance increases and the life is much reduced. Once this has happened capacity is not recoverable.
Charging after use and then leaving makes this happen faster.
Cordless tools need to be used regularly to make the most of any battery pack or any of them, for different reasons, will fail.

#24 ·
My DeWalt is a great performer, quallity battery drill are great performers used in the trade on site, I still have my dad's corded Stanley which must be 60+ years old for those small little jobs a historical item now.

I would still go with that higher end branded performers nothing worse than finding when you do use one it is not your to the job, so money well spent.

Work supplied DeWalt corded option @£240+ has so much torque it will spin you round given the opportunity plus drill through walls with ease.

I am sure other top prands provide equal performance,get the 10.8v for £60+

John Tht.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.