Detailing World Forum banner

One Stage Correction with Dual-Action Polisher - Product and Pad reccomendations?

9K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  andy198712 
#1 ·
As above, I'm currently using an arsenal of old products which I've had for some years; Meguiars 80 Speed Glaze, Meguiars 83 Dual-Action Polish, Orange Firm All-Round Pad, Kestral Dual-Action polisher and looking for some recommendations for new products.

The car in particular is my Porsche Cayman, so harder German paint and ideally would prefer to just carry out a one stage correction, so a polish that changes its grade as its worked may be best suited to my needs.

Currently the paint condition is really good, there is a small hologram on the upper of one rear quarter that needs taking out and the rest is just very light swirls you get from washing a soiled car (its a daily driver, not a garage queen).

So the question is; can you recommend any other products to the above? If so please give a bit of a reason why (i.e ease of use, more efficient, etc)? I'm very open to changing the above selection, and especially interested to hear of alternative polish / pad selections.

Thanks for any advice you may have to offer.

#6 ·
The car is Guards Red, to be honest I've not tried the Megs #80 on this car yet... I didn't know if it was old hat, or still used often these days and suitable for the requirements.

Any pad recommendations? In recent years I've just used an orange general pad but most the cars I've done have been massively improved with just this and I've never bothered going to the final stages as it was surplus to requirement.

I used to use a Meguiars burgundy pad on #83, then #80 on black but often found just the one stage was enough to get good result if worked well.

#10 · (Edited)
The car is Guards Red, to be honest I've not tried the Megs #80 on this car yet... I didn't know if it was old hat, or still used often these days and suitable for the requirements.

Any pad recommendations? In recent years I've just used an orange general pad but most the cars I've done have been massively improved with just this and I've never bothered going to the final stages as it was surplus to requirement.

I used to use a Meguiars burgundy pad on #83, then #80 on black but often found just the one stage was enough to get good result if worked well.
The old Meguiars 8 prefix system, brings me back old memories from the mid to late 90s for me. Back in the day that was the sharpest tool in the box I could get in Australia along with a firm generic 6" orange pad with integral backing plate on a rotary polisher....

Products technology has came a long way since so yes it's a very old hat indeed even though there are older hats avail on the market still.

From the Meguiars up to date modern range there are products such as M205, D166, Ultimate Compound/Polish/Wax to name just a few that would be a lot more suitable to modern paintwork such as on your Guards Red Cayman with better results.

As others have suggested S20black and M205, they are both very good choices in your situation and I use these 2 products very often among a few more as my go to products for light to medium corrections.

Pics of a 981 Cayman I maintain for a good customer of mine, he bought it new in 2016 and he let me use it in Tarmac competition events.

Buffed car in isolated areas with some light RIDS around driver's door handle area and from glancing witches hats/bollards off sides of car ( ie plastic transfer onto the paint ) at chicanes.

Paint is on the soft side actually, and non sticky.

To rid of your small hologram and very light swirls, M205 with a light polishing pad such as Rupes Yellow would mostly likely suffice at a medium speed with light pressure on a 12mm stroke DA.

In your situation with so little correction required you don't need the extra cut avail from the S20 black.

What I like about the M205 compared to S20black for very light cutting work is that it spreads easier, works faster, more runny, less passes needed for best results finishes better and you get a more true indication of the outcome before panel wipedown ( ie it has less polishing oil/lube within that could hide defects).

Apart from Rupes yellow pad there are also Scholl honey pads, purple pads etc and I really like their spider pads ( great for debris control and helps the pad conforming to contours ). On the budget end I find the Shine Mate flat pads heaps good for the $ such as the blue intermediate pad or Orange soft-intermediate universal pad.

I won't be using the old school Meg products that is pretty crude compared to the modern refined products avail today on a cheap 20 year old car let alone a Cayman with expensive paintwork.

#13 ·
A few points, there is no such thing as a one stage correction, cutting and finishing to absolute perfection in one stage can not be achieved so don't expect miracles. Also, don't assume its rock hard because its German. I work on a lot of Porsches and the paint is all over the place, some hard, some soft, some sticky, and thin in places. Don't assume anything

Product wise I highly recommend trying detailing kingdom 1.1. Its a compound but has amazing finishing capabilities so on a polishing pad it balances cut and finish beautifully. Lovely lubricants, long work times, easy buff. Its VERY good

#14 ·
Good to hear the positive thoughts on Scholl Concepts S20 as I happened to order some today!
I also ordered some SCHOLL CONCEPTS SOFTOUCH WAFFLE PADS. Are these a good match with the S20 (for a first time DA user on a 'well looked after but 15 year old and never machined' car) ?

#16 ·
They are not the best match for the S20 black.

Of their pads range, S20 black works best wtih the navy blue spider pad on hard paints and purple spider pads on soft to med paints.

The black softtouch waffle pads are for fine finishing work. It has very soft waffle foam that is very fine ( prone to block up hence not recommended to be used with their S40 ). Ideal Scholl polish for this pad would be S30.

What type of car do you have and what colour?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.