Detailing World Forum banner

Integra DC2 Project

250K views 440 replies 89 participants last post by  st33ly 
#1 · (Edited)
So a few weeks ago I picked up this 1998 Honda Integra DC2. I've always wanted one but its taken me a long time to find one with the right combo of condition, mileage, spec and crucially as standard as possible.

This particular example is standard and has 70k miles on the clock, 2 owners and was owned for 16 years by a Honda technician. Now anyone who's even vaguely researched into these will know that rear inner arch corrosion is an inherent design flaw and this one is no different despite it being pampered all its life. Due to a drain slot in front of the rear wheel they have a tendency to rot the rear arches from the inside out. As you can see, despite there being no external corrosion the inside is fairly gruesome.

Drivers side:

And following a bit of prodding about :

Passenger side:

Fairly impressive considering there's no visible external corrosion..........

I knew this when looking at the car in the first place. Better to buy a car eyes wide open and do the work yourself or know it's been done properly previously than to buy and pretend it won't be an issue. They nearly all get this unless the drain slot is sealed up very early in its life.

So, it's booked in to have the rear arches, inner arches cut out and new sections welded in next month so in the meantime I thought I'd get busy with assessing the rest of the chassis. Having had an S2000 previously I was mildly terrified but thought it's better to know what we're dealing with.

So first up, bumper off:

Generally it was all good. A little surface crud around some of the fixings but the rear panel is completely solid. Good news as I've seen much newer S2000's with really rotten ones.

Inside the rear chassis rails. All sound. Will be putting Dynax UB in these at a later date.

Next up, front bumper off:

Same result, generally solid. A little crud around the rad mounts but generally OK.

So I set about refurbishing the front crash bar, rear bumper bar and bumper retaining strip. All received Bilt Hamber Hydrate followed finishing top coats of either Electrox, Championship White or metallic grey.

The front and rear slam panels were sanded back, all corrosion removed then treated with Hydrate.

This was followed by Bilt Hamber Epoxy Mastic. Provided a really durable finish and freshens it all up nicely.

Will be applying Dynax UC tomorrow and then Reassembly. Then it's on to sorting the underside before it goes in for the rear arches.

Will keep this thread updated with progress.

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Cheers for the responses guys. Having refitted everything I'm now realising that the rear bumper fitment is going to need some fettling.

The standard Honda design doesn't include any clips between the main bumper part and the rear arch which after 18 years has resulted in some less than ideal panel gaps. Think I'll need to look at improving this with some additional clips.

Going to start on the front arches tonight. From some of the front sections on Ebay I've seen that quite a few like to rust on the panel behind the arch liner so will take a look and see what we're dealing with.

#12 · (Edited)
OK so I had the front arch liner off this evening to see what we're dealing with. I've seen some DC2's with a fair bit of rot on the lower end of the inner arch panel. Thankfully this car isn't one of them. A few light bits of surface crud to sort but there's nothing in there that the Bilt Hamber armory can't deal with.

Worst of it is slightly further forward on the towing eye mount. All sortable though.

Will get it cleaned back tomorrow and then start sorting the localised areas. Doesn't look like the previous owner was a massive fan of cleaning the arches! :)

#14 ·
OK, a bit more progress tonight. Apologies for the photo quality, I think the fumes must be getting to me! :)

Cleaned the arches out, rubbed back the small amounts of surface corrosion and then gave them a couple of coats with Hydrate 80.

Then it was on with 3 coats of BH Epoxy Mastic.

So that's the drivers side done. On to the passenger side next front arch next.

#15 ·
Wow cracking looking car in the petrol station shot!!

Love it.

BH products are great mate, I did the underside of the Clio 182 last year and the rear end of my CRZ with Hydrate 80 followed by black hammerite smooth and last coat of Dynax UC

Dynax UC is a brilliant protective coating.

Liking the mastic poobah, I didn't think you got it in white?
Might get some in black for that extra bit of protection when I get round to doing the CTR

#16 ·
Thanks. I think Bilt Hamber do the Epoxy Mastic in 3 colours now, black, white and I think red. Provides a really hard durable layer. Tempted to add a little Dynax UB over the top but really liking the factory fresh look of the white arches. Maybe UC is the way to go instead.

#22 · (Edited)
Bit more done. Classic corrosion spot just behind where the inlet resonator box goes inside the front arch. Took it apart and this one isn't bad at all. Just a light bit of surface corrosion which further enforces that this appears to be a good one.

So, usual process. Grind/sand the corrosion off then Hydrate 80 followed by Epoxy Mastic.

#23 ·
Had a spare half hour this evening so stripped out the passenger side front arch to see what we're dealing with.

Generally decent. A little surface corrosion around the mounting points for the arch liners (as there was on the drivers side) and some surface stuff on the top of the spring seat. All sortable pretty easily.

Getting happier the more I see of this car.

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
Minor update. Arch liners back in tonight.

I also did a little side job tonight on the rear upper strut brace. The standard colour is silver and mine was pretty scratched therefore I've refinished it in VW Carbon Steel Grey. Not 100% OEM however it does match the mounts of the front brace.

#33 ·
Thanks. They seem to be a dying breed as at this age most need some work to keep them solid and unless it's a decent low miler then there's a bit of a dilemma as to whether to plough the money in. This ones a nice low mile, minimal owners car so I'm willing to put some effort in.

Stripping the car back to see what surprises there are is a little scary but better to know and deal with anything now than bury your head in the sand. If I was buying another and wanting one already done and sorted I'd want to know the previous owner had been through it like this at some point.

Give it 3 or 4 years and I can see the number of UKDM DC2's dropping significantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.