Detailing World Forum banner

Remove GPS Self Adhesive Mount

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  cv01jw 
#1 ·
Hi All

I have done a quick search and not located anything, but apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I collected this new (to me) car yesterday:

I love it!

Unfortunately the previous owner has stuck a 6-7cm circular black plastic disk to the dashboard - I think it is a GPS mount, you can see it in this photo:

I have gently tried to remove it but it appears to be stuck fast. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get it off?

A google search suggests heating it and gently removing with a butter knife, and then cleaning any leftover sticky bits with Gone Goo. Does anyone have experience of this?

Thank in advance.

James

See less See more
#11 ·
Get it in the sun to warm it up, get some dental floss and carefully ‘saw’ at the foam pad (presume there is one attaching it) and away you go to remove it.

I’d also try once you’ve started to ’cut’ away at the backing, pop a lolly stick or something small under to give you a bit of levering action to ease it.

Then see what your left with and get some adhesive remover (that’s safe on plastics) and gently remove it.

Good luck :thumb:

#17 ·
I haven't tried in earnest to get it off yet - I will probably wait until the weekend as the car is cool by the time I get home from work.

If the dash is damaged underneath I may relent and stick the disc back on again - I could actually use it as a mount but I would very much prefer to get rid of it. To me a satnav or smartphone looks out of place in the car.

#18 ·
I had the same issue. With my Mk6 Golf. Bought over the winter and previous owner had done the same.

before I had cleaned it I was taking it to the garage and bored at the lights I started to pull on it. It came off easier than I was expecting.

Has left a ring which can be seen at certain angles with the light reflecting on it, this maybe removed with a sticky stuff reomover, I will try at some point.

#19 ·
Long time between updates - I managed to get the disc off after returning to the car on a scorching day and simply pulling hard. There is the faintest shadow of it under certain lights if you look for it, but otherwise you cannot tell it was there.

More unfortunate, however, was that a few days after removing it, and the day after I picked it up from the garage after having some engine work done, someone ran into the back of me. Insurance has taken it's time but the assessor advised it will be written off - I am now waiting for the letter confirming this and offering a settlement figure :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.