Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Traders > Clean Your Car
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clean Your Car Sonus - Menzerna - Chemical Guys - Clearkote - Poorboys -Meguiars - Pinnacle Wax - Harlys Wax - Klasse - Zaino

Old 12-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
delboy828
Sponge Jockey

when you get this type of failure its typically to do with the energy the machine is exerting being transferred to the plate... this happens when the pad you are using starts sticking to the paintwork...

If your using a foam pad the foam pad is the first and weakest point of failure... but when you are using a microfiber pad that sticks more of the energy hits the plate..

happens a lot more when working on single stage paintwork... also happens when compounding more...

Im sure CYC will just give you another one... I dont know how experienced you are doing this stuff but if you can film yourself doing it next time that might help solve this.... That isnt to say you are not experienced etc.. just always good to be able to eyeball things firsthand...
delboy828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #12
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy828 View Post
when you get this type of failure its typically to do with the energy the machine is exerting being transferred to the plate... this happens when the pad you are using starts sticking to the paintwork...

If your using a foam pad the foam pad is the first and weakest point of failure... but when you are using a microfiber pad that sticks more of the energy hits the plate..

happens a lot more when working on single stage paintwork... also happens when compounding more...

Im sure CYC will just give you another one... I dont know how experienced you are doing this stuff but if you can film yourself doing it next time that might help solve this.... That isnt to say you are not experienced etc.. just always good to be able to eyeball things firsthand...
When it happened to both of mine the pads where not sticking to the paint (which was not single stage on either of the cars). Personally I think the backing plate is purely too soft, or perhaps it was something in the manufacturing process that was slightly off, and I am quite experienced with the DA... Either way I'll probably never use such a soft backing plate again as I'll always have that thought in the back of my mind

I do think that the OP will get it replaced without issue as CYC are great to deal with.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #13
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,555 Times in 4,911 Posts
Garage
Couple of things.
These softer types of backing plates have been available for random orbital machines before/for a while. Example, the gloss it backing plates. These were always sold with a warning that speeds and pressures needed to be kept low. I had a pair years back, they were great for glazing and waxing and the extra give was a blessing, but even the slightest bit of heat and they would bow in the centre initially, then collapse like this. There is a reason most are supplied with a stiff and relatively thin backing plate. Random orbitals build heat from the back outwards, and they build a lot of it. This could easily cause such damage so i doubt this is user error.

What did tim and the lads at CYC say when you contacted them to inform them of the damage before you wrote threads on here and or Facebook?
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
cheekymonkey (14-10-2016), CleanYourCar (18-12-2016), fozzy (27-11-2016), nick_mcuk (13-10-2016), tarbyonline (17-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #14
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,555 Times in 4,911 Posts
Garage
I will also add that this effect is worsened on smaller pads as the aggressiveness is increased due to the counter weight to plate percentage now being much greater
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
CleanYourCar (18-12-2016), nick_mcuk (13-10-2016)
Old 13-10-2016, 02:08 AM   #15
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,796 Times in 2,921 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy828 View Post

This happens only when the user doesn't know how to deal with single stage paints I have worked on lots of single stage paints, and never had this problem you are saying, even compounding, so delboy it might be you who is not experienced etc...

Last edited by chongo; 13-10-2016 at 02:10 AM.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
*Dan* (14-10-2016)
Old 14-10-2016, 12:13 AM   #16
Bod42
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,096 Posts
The reason mine blew was user error. I was trying to dig some sanding marks out so was applying pressure, 10lb of pressure spread over a 5-6" is majorly less than 10lb on a small backing plate so the result was excess heat and a pad failure. Live and learn.
Bod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 03:04 AM   #17
*Dan*
Washmitt Meister

Just to update that CYC have taken the issue up with Shine Mate and are awaiting a response from them.

CYC are sending out a different style backing plate in replacement.

Cant fault CYC for their customer service.

Just to add it wasn't a single stage paint, I wasn't compounding, the machine was on speed settings between 1-3 max and virtually no pressure applied to the machine.
*Dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Dan* For This Useful Post:
chongo (14-10-2016), Welshquattro1 (19-10-2016)
Old 17-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #18
Sawel
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Dan* View Post
Just to update that CYC have taken the issue up with Shine Mate and are awaiting a response from them.

CYC are sending out a different style backing plate in replacement.

Cant fault CYC for their customer service.

Just to add it wasn't a single stage paint, I wasn't compounding, the machine was on speed settings between 1-3 max and virtually no pressure applied to the machine.
CleanYourCar are always good with things like this. I had good service from them when my Das 6 PRO stopped working. I sent it to them and they fixed and returned it within the week.

Last edited by Sawel; 17-10-2016 at 01:09 PM. Reason: mistype
Sawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #19
Brian1612
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,073 Posts
Can also praise CYC's customer service. I had a brand new pad delivered that refused to stick to the back plate. All other pads were fine. Contacted CYC by phone and they sent out a new one instantly, no questions asked.
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
CleanYourCar (18-12-2016), Cookies (27-11-2016)
Old 27-11-2016, 03:24 AM   #20
efunc
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossiecol View Post
Have to say I've had this happen to 2 of these in the past and changed the backing plate type after just about hitting that car when it happened the last time, since making the change I've had no issue since.
When you say you've "changed the backing plate type", what did you change it to? I was about to order one of these 75mm backing plates from CYC along with a set of 3" LC Hydrotech spot pads. Do they have an alternative version you recommend instead?
efunc is offline   Reply With Quote