Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 23-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
JustCallMeMac
Unwashed Member

Advice please - machine polish done without decontamination.

Hi,

Hope I'm posting in the right section!

Recently bought a used car and the dealer advised that the car had been machine polished and that the GTechniq Platinum products would be applied.

Upon receiving the car, whilst it looked good, (metallic black), it became clear that the paintwork had not been decontaminated before the machine polish stage as it was very rough, almost gritty, to the touch.

I'm not happy and have asked for this to be addressed but have a couple of questions:

Would a machine polish carried out on paintwork that had not been properly decontaminated, damage the paintwork? I.e could it have resulted in fine scratching?

If the paintwork is subjected to a proper decontamination process, (removal of iron particles and tar followed by use of a clay bar) and another machine polish is carried out, will this mean that the external Gtechniq products will also need to be re-applied a second time?

Cheers.
JustCallMeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
A quick search threw this up if it helps? If at has been done incorrectly then yes they would have to start all over again imo...

Gtechnic Platinum offers an incredible level of protection against both of these issues. However if it is being applied over paint work that still has swirls and industrial fallout within it then the you will not be getting the best solution.

Ahead of the Gtechniq Platinum being applied the vehicle surface has to be free from contamination i.e. decontamination of any industrial fallout, tar, tree sap and over spray, and the paintwork is required to be free from swirls and holograms.
suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
wish wash

If you don't decontaminate you can effectively pick it up into the pad and then apply more swirls/damage into the paint. Black hides a lot, especially tar.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
JustCallMeMac
Unwashed Member

Many thanks for the replies. Very useful and as I suspected.

Thanks again!
JustCallMeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,360 Times in 925 Posts
Garage
When you view the car, ask to see it outside if it’s bright sunshine, or if not Take a high powered led torch or use you flash on your camera phone (if it has one) and hold it several inches away from the paint work and just go over the car. Any fine scratches and swirls will soon show up.

(Just reread post and noticed you already collected the car)
Can still use the inspection method though to high light the inadequate preparation though.

Last edited by DLGWRX02; 23-06-2018 at 01:19 PM.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
Derek-Eddleston
Sponge Jockey

It's not going to solve your problem but at this time of year, a lot of what feels like grit is actually tree sap. I live in the New Forest and virtually every trip out with a clean car ends in a sap covered mess, and on a windscreen against a setting sun.........
Derek.
Derek-Eddleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #7
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,239 Times in 2,404 Posts
I wonder what Gtech product was used as some are pro application only. The fact that it’s been applied with out decontamination would suggest it might not of even been applied.

Gonz.
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote