Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 15-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #21
GleemSpray
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,260 Times in 1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoglym View Post
SRP does have cut. It also has fill. It will fix what it can and fill what it can't. The cut of the product is increased if the pressure used to apply the product is increased. The applicator choice will also have a bearing on the cut of the product. Cotton stockinette for example will give more cut than a foam applicator.

Sorry you aren't a fan of the bottle.
I have always had good results over the years on unloved paint using SRP applied with a folded pad of damp stockinette ( Halfords stockinette roll cut down !!).

It really cleans and shines the paint, whereas i have found that SRP sometimes doesn't really seem to "bite" very much if you use a smooth sponge - it just spreads out and leaves a bit of a shine, but doesn't clean or fill so well this way.

I always thought that, logically, SRP MUST have some small degree of abrasion, because if you clean unloved paint with it, the paint stays a bit cleaner and shinier looking, even months later when the SRP will have long gone ?
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 11:05 PM   #22
Sheep
Orbital Oracle

Send a message via MSN to Sheep
Quote:
SRP does have cut. It also has fill. It will fix what it can and fill what it can't. The cut of the product is increased if the pressure used to apply the product is increased. The applicator choice will also have a bearing on the cut of the product. Cotton stockinette for example will give more cut than a foam applicator.

Sorry you aren't a fan of the bottle.
Wow, this is the first I've heard of SRP having cut in almost 10 years. How come you've never responded to this before even though I've seen it mentioned many many times on these boards? Even that entire write up has it written throughout. Although that helps explain it's performance which is quite good for what it is.

My beef with the bottle is a pretty simple one, it's too flimsy. Product will belch out of top randomly from regular gripping, making it very hard to dispense on to pads and applicators. It's also very hard to dispense after shaking as the sides don't resist squeezing enough to allow you to control the flow of product. You could fix this problem by changing the cap, one with a flip out spout that resist flow more, requiring more grip/pressure for the same amount of product dispensed. Again, this is for the 500ml SRP bottle, which is the same as the leather balm and UDS, all products I own and use regularly, but would like to see the bottles upgraded.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #23
GleemSpray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
Wow, this is the first I've heard of SRP having cut in almost 10 years. How come you've never responded to this before even though I've seen it mentioned many many times on these boards? Even that entire write up has it written throughout. Although that helps explain it's performance which is quite good for what it is.

My beef with the bottle is a pretty simple one, it's too flimsy. Product will belch out of top randomly from regular gripping, making it very hard to dispense on to pads and applicators. It's also very hard to dispense after shaking as the sides don't resist squeezing enough to allow you to control the flow of product. You could fix this problem by changing the cap, one with a flip out spout that resist flow more, requiring more grip/pressure for the same amount of product dispensed. Again, this is for the 500ml SRP bottle, which is the same as the leather balm and UDS, all products I own and use regularly, but would like to see the bottles upgraded.
Its just not the same without white blobs of dried
SRP on the drive after a summer afternoon detailing...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Old 17-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #24
rob267

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleemSpray View Post
Its just not the same without white blobs of dried
SRP on the drive after a summer afternoon detailing...

you are so right. Dont forget the blobs that land on your hands as well.

The bottle is rubbish for sure but bearable i guess.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
rob267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #25
GleemSpray

SRP can be forgiven it's iffy bottle, because it is truly incredible the way it can quickly transform unloved paintwork.

Will always have a place in my car cleaning gear.

Old 17-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #26
Autoglym
Autoglym HQ

Thanked 1,491 Times in 785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
We have mentioned it before, it just seems to be generally accepted that it doesn't have cut though. That opinion has taken hold and people just accept it because they read it everywhere (see also: sponges cause swirls *ducks*).

That large SRP write up was not written by us, it contains a lot of good info, but also some things that don't ring true with us. We aren't out to deceive anyone with our products, we try our absolute best not to make claims that the product can't back up in real life. SRP does have cut, if it didn't we would be honest about that. It is no compound, not by a long shot, but it does have abrasives in it, albeit at the very, very gentle end of the scale.

Winner Detailing World Polish of The Year 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #27
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer

Garage
Quote:
We have mentioned it before, it just seems to be generally accepted that it doesn't have cut though. That opinion has taken hold and people just accept it because they read it everywhere (see also: sponges cause swirls *ducks*).

That large SRP write up was not written by us, it contains a lot of good info, but also some things that don't ring true with us. We aren't out to deceive anyone with our products, we try our absolute best not to make claims that the product can't back up in real life. SRP does have cut, if it didn't we would be honest about that. It is no compound, not by a long shot, but it does have abrasives in it, albeit at the very, very gentle end of the scale.
So would you class the abrasives on the scale more of a pre wax cleanser style polish than a traditional polished used to get some cut?
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #28
Sheep
Orbital Oracle

Send a message via MSN to Sheep
Quote:

Not sure what large SRP write up you're talking about. I linked my AIO shoot out thread, which was done by me. My shoot out highlighted real world results and backed it up with photos, but if SRP has some level of cut it would explain it's performance, which is top notch in my books (in case you didn't know, I like a lot of your products and own quite a few). In talking with a few detailing friends the level of cut seems to be thought around .05/10, with maybe more if you used a rougher pad (but at that point it's the pad doing the cut...). Either way, stellar product, but missed the target with the bottle (but hit my arm, leg, and drink).
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #29
SKY

Location: The Democratic People's Republic Of South East Essex
SRP even with the poor bottle is a great product. I will always use this as my go to.
The new formula is also better especially for dusting (even if over applied)
SKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #30
Bikeracer
Washmitt Meister

If you have any small size sauce/salad cream/ketchup squeezy bottles they're very good to decant polish into.

I'm using a small salad cream one at the moment, just waiting for someone to ask me if I'm polishing the car with salad cream because the Heinz label is still on it and the polish is a very similar colour.

Allan
Bikeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikeracer For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-11-2017), steelghost (18-11-2017)

Tags
auto finesse, autoglym, srp, tripple