Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 19-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
AD5
Unwashed Member

is this strike through?

Is this what strike through looks like? have been checking every section i do with a rupes pen and suddenly the reflection looks like this on the last bit i did.

the area just above is what the rest of the car looks like

2 things to note, this was my test area and the lower area is probably fiberglass where as the top bit was metal.

I went over with 3m green, 90% sure i checked with light after and was all fine. then went over with 3m yellow and it looked like this.

In the natural light ive seen it in theres no obvious discoloring but the reflection does seem flatter.

oops?

Last edited by AD5; 19-11-2017 at 10:54 AM.
AD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

It’s a bit hard to tell from that photo. It could be a deeper scratch that was present and after the correction it has revealed itself. What car is it? What tools did you use? Some better pictures taken from a little further away will help. Secondly if the cars bodywork is made up from different media ie metal, plastic and fibreglass then a solitary test spot is no good. Although the paint maybe the same colour it will rarely react to the polish and pads the same bud.
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
AD5
Unwashed Member

yes sorry those pictures are terrible, car was up against a wall! also i dont think i was very clear about what im worried about.

this is the area im concerned about, see how the light is refracting is a broken way and the edge of the circle of light is not crisp like it is on the rest of the car

then this is a picture of another section for comparison, notice the crisp circle of light

im using 3m green/yellow/blue and the corresponding coloured 3m pads. But im using a DA polisher which might not be suitable for 3m stuff? its the halfords own brand one, spec:

Voltage 230-240 V ~ 50Hz
Power Output 600W
Backing Plate size 127mm/5”
Pad size 150mm/6”
Power cord length 5m
Soft start for ultimate control
8mm orbit diameter
1500 to 6800 RPM variable speed control

strangly i think this occured using the yellow fine cut 3m. The car is a nissan skyline but it has been resprayed ontop of the old paint. the panel where i suspect strike through is fiber glass. you cant really tell anything is different just by looking at it in natural light. its just the way the rupes pen is suddenly reacting differently on it that is making me concerned.
Old 19-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
AD5
Unwashed Member

so just to go back to the 2 pictures i posted originally. the top one is the strike through area where the light is reacting differently with the broken edges on the light circle.

the bottom picture is an "ok" area for comparison, that just happens to have a scratch - sorry if that was confusing, its just a coincidence, didnt notice till picture was on computer

so to the naked eye ,in the dull cloudy natural light we have today, there is really nothing that looks different, its only when i shine the rupes light on it it looks very dull/non reflective and like tiny orange peel or something.

Dont know if its worth also pointing out, above the swage line was the first section i did and it came out normally. then below the swage line was the second section and the whole section has the same problem even across it all!.

Last edited by AD5; 19-11-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 19-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

Right I understand now. From your first post I thought it was the other way round. It simply looks like a really poor refinishing job by the painters bud. My big concern would be as it’s on fibreglass you will have no points of reference to compare any further removal of the clear. Can you see any blending lines to compare the finishes of each side. Without seeing it in person I really wouldn’t want to tell you one way or another. Pop your location on and maybe an experienced member on here could have a look bud.
Old 19-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

Also is the fibreglass panel textured at all? This could have a big impact on the finish bud.
Old 19-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
AD5
Unwashed Member

hi mate thanks for the imput. im not 100% sure where on the same wave lengths though. this section was fine untill i started polishing it! theres evidence all over the car that it wasnt the best paintjob. but this section was ok till i went over it with the 3m green then yellow combo.

a part of me wants to go back over it with the green and check it wont come out!

i think your right though and i should get someone to look at it.

im having a bit of a tough time with my first attempt at paint correction. I worked up from polish to ultimate compound to 3m green compound and although the 3m green has definitely shifted a lot of swirls theres still some left and RDS. Not sure if i need more or less product, more or less pressure, more or less work time! now im worried about striking though too!! It SEEMS like i have hard paint in the non plastic areas, but ive been told a cheap respray is rarely anything other than soft, im so confused!

my 3" polisher arrived today so ive moved onto the smaller bits. Im not convinced 3m stuff is right for DA i could hardly get the 3" 3m green pad to spin on the mini polisher. so ive ditched 3m for now and using the pads it came with and gone back to meg ultimate compound.

Last edited by AD5; 19-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AD5 For This Useful Post:
AndyNI (19-11-2017)
Old 19-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
AD5
Unwashed Member

PLOT TWIST: took a chance and went over it with a little bit with Megs ultimate compound. It started to come out! not fully but half way back to how it was. Assuming this means its impossible for it to be strike through?

still weird though.
Old 19-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #9
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

The larger size of the refraction is usually down to the orange peel effect as the light hits all the peaks and troughs it’s scattered over a wider surface area. Did you check it with the Rupes pen prior to compounding and refining. I think we’re on the same page bud.

I can’t comment on your technique as I haven’t seen it. I do believe however you may be struggling with things beyond your control. Hopefully you may get some input from others on here to give a more balanced opinion. I’m not saying I’m right or wrong but you simply can’t tell what’s going on. You will however end up with a solution as nobody on DW likes to see fellow members struggle.
Old 19-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,410 Times in 2,673 Posts
Garage
The Dull area could be what Dave has mentioned a bad paint job that they probably thought it wouldn't be picked up because of it being white. I would take it to your nearest Detailer and seek their experience help before you find yourself in a pickle.

And going by your photos it is very hard to tell what's going on bud. I hope you get an answer soon mate.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote