Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 14-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #1
oneflewover
Sponge Jockey

Lexus SC430

Hi all, been browsing and made little comments for a while. Thought i'd have a thread on my new to me toy. A little of my car history, always had a little need for something slightly different.
FD Victor, Mk2 Cortina GT, Triumph Stag, JPS Capri, Saab 99 EMS, Triumph 2500PI, 99 Turbo, 900 Turbo, Triumph Stag, 5 Turbo, Mazda Xedos, another Xedos, A class Merc, Audi A2.

Had Audi A2 now for 3 years and other than the running and servicing costs, other costs have been zilch. So deserved to spend some car money.

Wanted power, convertible, not BMW or Mercedes. Looked at Saab's, Infiniti's and finally settled that I needed a Lexus SC430. Did some preparation work, had to be facelift, so post 2006. These have changed suspension, 6speed autobox and a few cosmetics Nearly 4months of looking and realised there is some absolute tosh out there at crazy prices. Finally found one, not perfect but as good as I had seen.

Bought about 150miles from home so had a nice little run to get used to it. What these cars are:- Luxury, effortless performance, comfort and quiet. I'm absolutely smitten. With the M42 and M1 behind me 33mpg was achieved aswell.

Well in to the project now. Updates to follow.
oneflewover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oneflewover For This Useful Post:
carrera2.05 (08-09-2018), Cookies (15-08-2018), macca666 (14-08-2018), President Swirl (05-09-2018), SBM (15-08-2018), sshooie (14-08-2018), wrxmania (14-08-2018)
Old 14-08-2018, 12:55 AM   #2
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Super. Love me a good Lexus
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
Summit Detailing
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,221 Posts
Slightly left-field not that that matters at all.

Great engine, seats and stereo.

Styling aimed at the US and domestic market.

Enjoy

Chris
Summit Detailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
oneflewover
Sponge Jockey

It's a 9 owner, 93000mile 12 year old car. Good Lexus history and an Extended Warranty that only ran out in April. The last service was at 89k but back in February 2016. It's been on a private plate, so looking up the reg number is a bit hit and miss. Spoke to Lexus Leeds, they are bit reticent in giving up information, but recent warranty work included new exhaust, shocks and the roof repainting.

Funny how, when checking things at purchase, you notice big and miss little. Well I did. Firstly, needed to use horn. What horn? didn't work.

So a bit of google work and known problem "Spiral Cable" the connection between all those buttons on your steering wheel and the canbus.

So off with steering wheel

take things to bits

It didn't go back together. I'd already ordered new from Lexus. Thanks to @wrxmania and Lexus OC got 10% off which really helped.

I'd ordered one from China at £15 which arrived before Lexus, but slightly different connections and I thought do I really want to trust it? So paid 20x more for the OEM. It now goes beep beep

The Mark Levinson Radio Cassette CD player, yes you heard right, alledgedly the last vehicle supplied new with a cassette, right up to the last one sold. I don't have any cassettes, worked perfect, but the eagle eyed among you will have noticed the aerial at only 2 sections up in the picture. So that had to be done. Normally a case of unscrew nut, pull out old aerial, radiof off and feed in new. Not mine, bit of old cable broken in.

Half an hour later. All stripped out. Aerial motor stripped and old aerial bits removed. Hope the roof gear never goes wrong!

Because this is Detailing World. Whilst carpets out

Clean and wipe

Tool tray cleaned and coated with 303. My OCD need to know what is missing. Think it is a Tyre Pressure gauge , US and JDM. Also need to find either a spare wheel or the polystyrene infill that goes in the wheel well

Took the opportunity whilst it was out to replace missing clips, tie downs and fastenings. Testament to Lexus build quality, it all goes back very nicely and perfectly fitted.

Last edited by oneflewover; 14-08-2018 at 10:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oneflewover For This Useful Post:
Cookies (15-08-2018), SBM (15-08-2018)
Old 14-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
oneflewover
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxmania View Post
Super. Love me a good Lexus
This is all your fault! Your Lexus thread inspired me to do things right and pay attention to the little things. Thanks

Last edited by oneflewover; 14-08-2018 at 10:50 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oneflewover For This Useful Post:
Cookies (15-08-2018), wrxmania (14-08-2018)
Old 14-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
wrxmania

Garage
Supreme! All the very best with it.

They are a great buy, reliable, (beyond impractical rear seats), and unusual on the road.

Glad to be of service
Old 14-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
wrxmania

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneflewover View Post

The Mark Levinson Radio Cassette CD player, yes you heard right, alledgedly the last vehicle supplied new with a cassette, right up to the last one sold. I don't have any cassettes, worked perfect, but the eagle eyed among you will have noticed the aerial at only 2 sections up in the picture. So that had to be done. Normally a case of unscrew nut, pull out old aerial, radiof off and feed in new. Not mine, bit of old cable broken in.
Need to be plundering eBay for some tapes - or the local charity shop. The tape player sounds great - I have one tape, which is Julie’s, Wet Wet Wet “Picture This”, which some dodgy songs aside, sounds good - and a nice tape animation on the screen whilst it plays.
Old 14-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
wrxmania

Garage
The supplying Lexus dealer were great with me in terms of providing service history etc - they even stamped up a replacement book for me and posted it to Lexus Edinburgh who added their stamps before I got it ��

Also, sign up for the MyLexus app as the whole service history is in there.
Old 14-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
oneflewover
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxmania View Post

Also, sign up for the MyLexus app as the whole service history is in there.
Thanks, it's very good, shows all the work done. It goes through aerials and TPMS senders! like consummables.
Old 14-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #10
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
A nice choice (I particularly like them in red) and I look forward to hearing how you get on with it. I'm keen to know what you thought of the Infiniti option, which I presume was a G37? I like them too and if I need a four seat cab in my life would definitely consider one.

Small personal story about an SC430. Back in about 2003 I was invited by Lexus to attend a test drive event at Whitley Park outside Godalming. Usual thing, turn up show your driving licence, choose a car to drive, be back in 20 minutes, don't crash. After driving an IS200 and an RX300 I took the SC430 out. I'd heard great things about the stereo so I took a CD to play. Yes, stereo sounded great.

One return I handed back the key and noticed it was identical to the one that came with my father's Toyota Avensis. I commented to Lexus' head of Customer Experience (or some such) who was there about this and it not fitting with a £50k car and why didn't they do something like what Nissan had done with then GT-R and do a nice key out of aluminium/titanium. The guy looked at me like I was literally the most stupid person alive and went on to say that nobody looks at the key as long as it starts the car and a Lexus always starts blah, blah, blah. Shame, that 10 second interaction ruined what had been a really nice afternoon.
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James_G For This Useful Post:
wrxmania (15-08-2018)

Tags
lexus, sc430