De Badged

Lighting
LED Number Plate Lights

Engine/Exhaust
Pipercross Panel Filter
Iridium Spark Plugs

Suspension/Wheels/Brakes
S3 Alloy Wheels

So I just swapped over my B5 passat estate for this car with a friend at work, bit unexpected as I was loving wagon life. But anyway, I have always had an itch to own a 20v turbo and here it is.

Blue 5 Door - 1.8 Turbo - 5 Speed Manual - Cream Leather Recaros (Heated) - S3 Alloys - 91,000 Miles.

Swapped the car over at work today, hoovered the car out and gave it a hose down with a few products, didn't end up having time to clean it but I will sort that during the week. Also removed a couple stickers from the back window.

Anyway some phone pictures.

Alloy wheels need a refurb, they will be getting done ASAP. These will be going silver or a light grey, I'm undecided.

There is a load of speaker wire that needs removing, luckily for me I want to change the carpets, plastics etc etc so that will give me the perfect change to remove this lot. There is also a set of broken 6x9" speakers in the parcel shelf that are coming out. Eye Spy 2 stickers that have been removed. Don't want a sticker on my car that relates to being broke ha.

Once I was told to leave work (who would have thought) I headed straight to Shell and filled her up with some V+ and get it running through the system and start getting the car ready for stage one.

On Monday I am ordering from TPS, a new starter motor, this one does an embarrassing squeal on start up, it has already been taken off and cleaned and this hasn't solved the issue long term. Also ordering a new interior sensor alarm button as this one is broken.

The alloys wheel be refurbished shortly, I am buying a H&R shock and spring setup, this will be on before March time ready for when I head to Heaven On Wheels in Belgium. Will be ordering full service bits also soon.

The cars exterior is messy but I'm not aiming for a show car. The car exterior will be tidied up, can't wait to get my machine polisher on it and clean up on the inside. I will be keeping the cream leather seats, but the carpet, plastics, doorcards, centre console ect will be going black.

Updates soon.

See less See more
#51 ·
Part numbers I have are as..

- Oil Filter - S06A115561B
- Quantum 5W-40 - SZGB115QLB00521
- Dipstick Tube - 06A103663B
- Pollen Filter - S1J0819644A
- Fuel Filter - 1J0201511A
- Fuel Filter Clip - SN0245226

- NGK Iridium Spark Plugs - BKR6EIX

If its of any use the interior switch for deactivating interior sensors for the alarm its

- Switch - S4B0962109A01C

Also

- Brake vacuum pipe - S1J0612041EJ

#52 · (Edited)
Update - 13/01/2017

Had another delivery arrive at my work today which is always nice. This time around it was my KillAllWipers kit.

The car was already de-wipered but with a cheap rubber bung. Not sealed and nor was it flush.

Popped out easy.

The kit came with a set of instructions, luckily for me I have used this kit before except this time around it came with a nice new syringe!

Quick clean inside and outside of the window...

All in and sealed, masking taped up to secure in place for 1 week as advised. For me this will stay taped until I start chaning interior panels to black.

Cleaned off any residue on the outside also. The number plate is coming off the car soon, I am aware the plate is wonky and also illegally spaced. Processing the plate change next week. Come to think of it I may even make new plates for the week with the correct spacing.

Anyway with that finished, it was time to get the car on the ramps for an oil change, first time doing this myself also ha. While it was up on the ramps I had a quick look around for myself.

This dogbone mount was replaced recently with a euro car parts special. This is going to be replace, more than likely with polybushes rather than a new unit.

Rear subframe bushes have also been replaced, they have a polythene bush in but not sure which brand. I will probably change these at some point also. Well thats the plan.

Engine cover was smashed to pieces so I just removed the surviving pieces. It didn't take much.

The car had an oil change recently but had some silicone added to the sump plug to stop a leak. Not on my books.

Oil out. Also at this stage while the oil filter was off, stuck an airline on the internal of the filter housing and cleared out any gunk from the pick up breather and stuck 1L of 5w-30 in to flush it out. Trick of the trade there? It will do for now anyway until I take the sump off and clean it out properly.

Old on the left, OEM replacement on the right.

New sump plug.

Top up time.

Finish it off with some rivalry screenwash.

Had a play around in the engine bay today also and knocked the brake booster pipe that I suspected had the vacuum leak and it started hissing at me like an angry cat. So that has jumped up on my to do list.
Enjoying getting my hands dirty and looking forward to doing more.

#55 ·
Thought I had replied to this early on but clearly not.

I've had many 20VT over the years and currently have one of my old 225 TTs back at the moment for breaking. I work with a chap who has one of these and has done for a few years now.

I was looking at those rear wiper bunts last night as it happens, seem very tidy as a better option in comparison to the old rubber bungs.

It looks like you have a very nice workshop to use there, not envious at all!

#57 ·
I've had many 20VT over the years and currently have one of my old 225 TTs back at the moment for breaking. I work with a chap who has one of these and has done for a few years now.

I was looking at those rear wiper bunts last night as it happens, seem very tidy as a better option in comparison to the old rubber bungs.

It looks like you have a very nice workshop to use there, not envious at all![/QUOTE]

Ha I could think of a whole list of parts from your TT that I would like but other stuff to sort first! Would love the rear brake setup for sure...

The wipers are very good quality well worth the ÂŁ10.00.

Workshops pretty much brand new, as long as all the works complete etc we can use it but not take the p! I usually do the work at the back of my mates house in the cold or in another mates enclosed shed but by no means warm ha.

I had quite a clunk whilst changing from first to second on my V6. I replaced the dog bone bush with a red power flex bush as I red the yellow ones gave quite a lot of vibration
Yeah I want to change this asap. Think I will get a price from TPS for a new unit and if its too much look for a 2nd hand original and then polybush that. Not sure I want to polybush the ebay one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#62 ·
Update - 16/01/2017

I was out Saturday evening and my brakes locked up on me. Luckily, no accident happened, brakes seemed to go back to normal and all was well. Luckily for me I have already purchased my brake booster pipe.

So once I had finished my work for the day today, I had a quick swap over of the pipe. This is the pipe that comes out of the inlet to the bulkhead and connects to another pipe.

First off was removing the VW horrible one time use clips.

Now for the offending pipe... (This pipe was actually no longer attached to the rest of the vacuum system, obviously came off when my brakes locked up on me and explained the horrible idle)

Where it was supposed to be attached too...

The replacement in all its glory, nice and shiny too.

The idle on startup improved dramatically, the drive now seems smoother when not accelerating but not completely cured. I'm half now thinking it may be the ignition amplifier as it was not replaced with a genuine part.

I noticed my reverse lights were not working, so I removed the bulb from each side (one was led and one was standard but neither worked).

For some reason they still didn't work upon replacement. Anyone with any ideas as to why please throw them my way.

Of course when sorting one issue another arises, literally in a matter of minutes.

I'm already aware that I need a door lock module for my O/S/R and this door stays locked unless I need to open it then I do that internally. But when I got home from work the car was locking and unlocking on the remote. So had to lock the door with the key and see how that goes. Joys of a MK4 ringing bells.

Anyway a couple of photos I took a few mornings ago while letting the car warm up. (I have since replaced my number plates with a correctly spaced plate too)

More updates soon.

#63 ·
Update - 19/01/2017

Nothing exciting here, just keeping the thread alive.

Pollen filter changed spare half hour at the end of work..

Also changed my interior alarm sensor switch on the drivers side, bit fiddly with my big hands but hey ho.

Have priced up a few parts from TPS that I shall order soon.

I think I am going to pull the starter motor down, give it a clean and a grease. I'm not feeling comfortable with the people that have told me buying a new one, the noise will just happen again 6 or so months down the line due to drying out.

Couple options are to use CV grease or red grease. If you have a preferred option feel free to give me a heads up?

Pics soon. Hate taking phone photos ha.

#64 ·
Update - 20/01/2017

Managed to get a couple more bits done today. One of my mates at work suggested doing the gearbox oil, at first I wasn't sure as I wanted to check the oil it took etc. But what the hell, it's a 16/17 year old 5 speed manual, anything in there is better than what was put in 90k ago I'm sure. Probably not been changed before. Regardless it can make do for a temp flush through oil.

Anyway I'm glad I did. It looked like hot chocolate.

This was the replacement for now..

75W-80

Last item on my service list to change was my fuel filter. The one on there was changed recently and for a genuine one. But for peace of mind and so I know when next due I changed it anyway and used the correct jubilee clamp.

Even had time to chuck in an air con bomb.

Now today I finally stuck my car on VAGCOM and too many fault codes for my liking. Some I'm already aware of, some I'm hoping are old faults that were not ever cleared before or relate to my current juddering issue.

- 18010 / P1602 - Power Supply Terminal 30 (Hopefully just a new battery required, it's had a new alternator)
- 00544 - Maximum Boost Pressure Exceeded (Could be the ignition amplifier that was changed previously, a friend has told me that it could be the N75 valve)
- 16500 / P0116 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor On my list already
- 16514 / P0130 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1 Could relate to my over fueling?
- 00953 - Interior Light Time Limit No idea, have noticed tonight the interior lights are not working, now can't think if there were before or not, my guess is they didn't
- 01334 - Door Control Module Rear Right This is the door that stays locked and is on my list
- 01335 - Interior Monitoring Sensors Hoping this is just related to the switch I changed over
- 00943 - Heated Exterior Mirror Drivers Side No surprise - it's an old car - didn't work on the passat either
- 01358 - Internal Central Locking Switch Drivers Side Implausible Signal Probably explains my remote being a c**t sometimes
- 00944 - Heated Exterior Mirror Passengers Side Again no surprise and that is the least of my worries for now
- 00930 - Locking Module For Central Locking Rear Left Linked to my remote locking not working I assume

Going to be working through the codes anyway, none are that serious in all honesty just annoying and I was aware of the majority so to speak, looks a lot more than it really is.

Any help regarding central locking and over boosting would be great.

Updates again real soon.

#66 ·
- 00544 - Maximum Boost Pressure Exceeded (Could be the ignition amplifier that was changed previously, a friend has told me that it could be the N75 valve)

Had a similar one on my 20vt Ibiza FR in the last year... you'll know if it happens as it will put you into limp mode for a while whilst it sorts itself out.
In my case it was a worn original N75 valve not controlling boost as it should, ÂŁ40 genuine replacement and it was sorted. You'll find there are various versions of N75 out there, with different revisions being noted by what letter they have at the end, might be worth checking what you have, the earlier ones were notoriously tetchy.

#69 ·
Update - 30/01/2017

Not really updated this too much. Been picking up a few second hand parts to freshen up the car. This including brakes, bodywork, mounts and interior bits. This included a 360 mile round trip for me as I went with a friend in his van kindly enough. I luckily also got bargains on my parts.

I have picked up a bonnet / front bumper / rear bumper in my colour, just waiting on getting 2 wings now. Never got any photos of these just as yet.

Some black carpet / parcel shelf / glovebox and other various plastics.

I mentioned previously that my dogbone mount that is currently on the car is a euro car parts special and has started to fail, even though it was replaced recently. On that note I collected an original dog bone mount, took it apart and cleaned it up. This one is now being polybushed. I have put a Super Pro circular poly bush in one end and now just need to order the 2 poly bushes for the opposite end and can fit to my car.

I managed to get my hand on a set of MK1 Audi TT front and rear brakes for a steal, also round the corner to my work which was even better.

This takes my front brakes from 288mm up to 312mm and takes my rear brakes from 232mm solid discs to 256mm vented discs.

Upon collection..

Spent some free time at work taking the caliper apart, removing the sliding pins, piston & seals etc. The piston was in pretty condition apart from the rusted section on the outside. But no scoring internally. Could do with maybe sticking the calipers in a parts washer to degrease them but unfortunately we dont have one at my place.

Some before photos for comparison.

After...

Mate at work took a photo of me getting my hands dirty (even with gloves on) to prove I get stuck in ha.

One last update. Starter motor.

I chose to avoid paying out a large chunk of money for a new starter motor. Took some advice online to grease up the old unit. To cut a long story short I used CV grease. The noise has gone on most start up but still appears on some. So I am going to buy a 2nd hand unit, take apart etc but clean it out and use red grease instead as advised. No harm in trying something else ha.

The dry motor that causes the squeal...

Greased...

Wasn't a fun job to do but has certainly helped.

I will be cleaning up the other 3 calipers & carriers now. Cleaning up all of the interior plastics and carpet ready for fitting. Finish polybushing the dogbone and get that fitted. Hopefully I get my 2 wings that I have lined up and can swap the front end over.

Updates soon.

#70 ·
Pretty sure that is a Bosch starter, get a working from a scrappy, will be cheap, and when you strip it down change the bushing in the end cap and stick a new brush pack on it, they don't need a lot of grease and is usually best to avoid a lot as it attracts the dust, but a good clean a light greasing of various bits will do wonders.

If its like a lot of starters, they get bunged up with clutch dust, so if you take the starter gear/bendix unit apart and clean that up as well.

If you not done it before, this guy does real good guides You Tube

Doesn't cover everything, but get to see most bits.

#72 ·
Yeah I'm going to get another second hand unit and clean it up better this time, this was a quick fix to see if the cv grease would work.

Will have a watch of the video.

Great work so far.

I polybushed the dogbone on my VW Bora and it made the world of difference. So easy to do as well, although I wonder how many are just simply replaced at much ÂŁÂŁ.

My photos aren't as good as yours though - SLR??
I've ordered the 2 front polybushes from awesome gti also. Also went for super pro so they matched.

Some iphone some dslr, anything with my name on will be dslr photo :D

#73 ·
Update 05/02/2017

Been a bit tied up at work and not been able to get much done. I have been cleaning the interior plastics ready to go in the car, just need to finish the glovebox and couple other plastics this week. I also need to start cleaning the carpet.

As you have seen I have bought front and rear TT caliper set up.

Ideally I wanted the conversion to be done before Belgium trip next month but looking at DIY guides online for the rears, to do it properly you should be changing wheel bearings, backing plates new bolts etc. Quite a lot of money to lay out all at once for me.

But on the back of that, my rear brakes were in dire need of changing so ordered some bits through work and got them changed over like for like.

Went for some Apec discs and pads.

Comparison..

Fitted..

#76 ·
Update 19/02/2017

So it has been a while since an update.

Last week I started swapping the interior around and front end panels. Been a bit of an experience for sure as it's the first time I have done either of these tasks.

Although I have taken a few photos, these are all phone photos and I didn't take many before photos.

Interior

So as you may have seen, I have cream recaros, door cards, carpets, plastics etc. My plan is to change the majority of this to black except of the seats. So I started purchasing some black plastics and carpets for the swap over.

Removed this lot from underneath the carpet and none of it was connected.

I gently used some magic sponges on the leather interior and it removed some oils and grease from the seats. I still need to go over these with my new Mirror Bright Meguiars leather cleaner / conditioner.

So I still need to swap over my black plastic centre consoles, door cards and seat runner covers and couple other parts which will come shortly. Also you may notice my steering wheel is now ruined. The magic sponges were a bit too coarse for the worn wheel. This will be dealt with later.

Also changed over my blower motor heater resistor, this seems to have solved my issue with the fans working temporarily and seems to have stopped the motor from being noisy.

TPS wanted ÂŁ114 + VAT for this unit so I got it from GSF on discount for ÂŁ28 + VAT.

Front End

Some before photos of the front end, albeit a very dirty front end.

Strip down.

HID kit removed and some LED sidelights that were off..

Very dirty behind the arch liners which was all cleaned out.

The only image I have so far of the car back together. I still need to line the bonnet and arches up better and the lower half of the bumper needs clipping in, I couldn't quite get it to line up right. But after a few days of working on the car I just wanted it back on the road.

Car now needs a thorough clean and a machine polish.

Misc

Dogbone polybush swap over.

Vibration on idle is actually minimal, especially in comparison to the amount people seem to complain about it.

I have also been carrying on with my TT Brake Caliper strip down. I have now almost finished my 2nd front caliper strip down, needs a touch more cleaning up.

Lastly, my friend changed over his turbo on his MK4, like for like. Luckily for me he has given me his old K03s turbo. It's in no fit state to just go on my car, but I want to get this turbo sent off for hybrid. More updates on this at a later time.

Will give this a little clean up so its not sitting around coated in oil.

Few more updates soon before I head off to Belgium next month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.