Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 17-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #11
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Firstly I must apologise, for some reason I hadn't set this thread up to send me notifications of replies, so I've only just read your responses!

In the end, I never made got my chance to try out my DA for various family reasons. I've a Friday booked off next month for some detailing time though and I will bear in mind all of your comments. I think it's a good idea to perhaps just focus on a few panels, such as the bonnet, and see how I get on. As a guide, how long would you guys anticipate would take to polish a bonnet?

Just for clarity, when I referred to a single pass earlier, what I really meant was a single stage correction, having watched numerous videos I realise polish takes a few 'passes' to break down. My fault for using the terminology incorrectly!

Thanks again for all of your responses and apologies again for my slow response!
G.Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G.Fraser For This Useful Post:
chongo (17-06-2017)
Old 18-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #12
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Hi,

Hope the family issues are all OK now.

To just polish the bonnet (after you've done the prep with snow foam/washing etc.etc.) I'd set aside a good hour.

Maybe it won't take that long before you're happy with the results BUT you'll feel much better for finishing "early" rather than thinking "...I'm getting close to the time I thought it would take so I need to push on now..."

It may be worth taping up the edges. Probably not necessary if you're being nice and careful and steady and using a DA but for the sake of a couple of minutes it will give you a bit of piece of mind.

Take it easy.

Good Luck.

Looking forward to the before/after photos.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyN01 For This Useful Post:
nickyd (18-06-2017)
Old 18-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #13
Sam534
Washmitt Meister

Hello mate,

I'm in the same boat as yourself, only really got a day for polishing, and a complete rookie using chemical guys hex logic pads and menzerna polish.

Looks good advice to aim for one panel but if you find more time move onto the roof or boot, not forgetting wax or sealant.

Let us know how you get on with the polish and any tips. I'm due to run mine on Tuesday after work which I'm only doing the boot lid and then again Saturday, which I hope to get the bonnet and front quarters done.

Sam
Sam534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #14
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Cool, thanks again guys and I will update in due course! Appreciate the indication of time frame, that will be useful as a rule of thumb.

Family is fine, my son was poorly before hence change of plans, nothing serious though and all ok now

I've out back my DA day by a week as I need to get my rear bumper sprayed after someone kindly reversed into me in a car park. Apparently it's best to leave fresh paint for several weeks before polishing and/or adding LSP. At least it's one less panel to worry about...
Old 18-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #15
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam534 View Post
Hello mate,

I'm in the same boat as yourself, only really got a day for polishing, and a complete rookie using chemical guys hex logic pads and menzerna polish.

Looks good advice to aim for one panel but if you find more time move onto the roof or boot, not forgetting wax or sealant.

Let us know how you get on with the polish and any tips. I'm due to run mine on Tuesday after work which I'm only doing the boot lid and then again Saturday, which I hope to get the bonnet and front quarters done.

Sam
Good luck Sam, let me know how you get on. Sounds like you'll be having a go before me so I look forward to hearing how easy and straightforward it all is!
Old 18-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #16
Sam534
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Fraser View Post
Good luck Sam, let me know how you get on. Sounds like you'll be having a go before me so I look forward to hearing how easy and straightforward it all is!
Ill be sure to let you know!
Old 19-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #17
AndyN01

Hi both,

As virgin newbies may I suggest you concentrate on the "feel" of what you're doing.

How much pressure does what to the feel of the the machine and to the pad working the polish?

When does the pad stop spinning?

What happens to cause the pad to stop spinning (curves? edges? pressure?).

How many blobs of polish and when?

What result do you get after 1 pass? 2 passes? etc.etc.

What changes when you clean the pad or put a fresh one on?

We can offer help, support and advice but it's you holding the DA.

The more comfortable and intimate you get with the the machine and process the easier and more effective you'll be.

Very soon you'll "know" to change the pressure, add polish, clean the pad etc. to get the results you're looking for and that comes from knowing what things you're feeling and looking for.

The very best of luck with it.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyN01 For This Useful Post:
G.Fraser (19-06-2017)
Old 19-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #18
Sam534
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Hi both,

As virgin newbies may I suggest you concentrate on the "feel" of what you're doing.

How much pressure does what to the feel of the the machine and to the pad working the polish?

When does the pad stop spinning?

What happens to cause the pad to stop spinning (curves? edges? pressure?).

How many blobs of polish and when?

What result do you get after 1 pass? 2 passes? etc.etc.

What changes when you clean the pad or put a fresh one on?

We can offer help, support and advice but it's you holding the DA.

The more comfortable and intimate you get with the the machine and process the easier and more effective you'll be.

Very soon you'll "know" to change the pressure, add polish, clean the pad etc. to get the results you're looking for and that comes from knowing what things you're feeling and looking for.

The very best of luck with it.

Andy.
Thanks Andy I guess its a case of learn by doing!
Old 19-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #19
AndyN01

Yep.

Remember to always start with the least aggressive polish/pad combination.

If something goes awry it's very unlikely to inflict serious damage but it will probably take a fair amount of time to see anything happening.

Much better that than going gung ho and looking at a respray because of a slip up.

Enjoy yourselves.

Andy.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #20
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

I had the opportunity of trying out my DA on a scrap wing today. Really pleased with how it went. It felt pretty comfortable plus reassuring following PDG measurements that I wasn't taking too much paint off. I experimented with different pad and polish combos (lightest first), it was reassuring that the medium pad and Menz 2200 didn't do anything scary!

I don't have any exciting 50/50 shots as paint on the panel was actually in pretty good nick, i'st also a flat colour of a pretty boring hue! Can't complain though as it was free. Anyway, I'm almost relieved that the practice went so well and glad I did it before tackling my car. I'm pretty confident now that as long as I'm careful I should be ok. Roll on Friday week for my day off with the DA!
The Following User Says Thank You to G.Fraser For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (09-07-2017)