Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 01-07-2017, 10:25 PM   #21
Sam534
Washmitt Meister

I also had the chance! I just went straight in on the bonnet. Made a couple of silly mistakes, lifted the polisher while spinning at one point and slinged polish all over the place.

Found the menzerna polish very challenging to remove, kept smearing, still have bits in places other than the bonnet. I was using their polish remover which did help still was difficult. In hindsight I think I need to cover the rest of the car with something, any advice?

Didn't get any pictures after as it got very bright and struggled to get a decent image. Think I got 60% though. Was fun! I'll be giving it another go next weekend perhaps on my boot lid
Sam534 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam534 For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (09-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #22
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Nice one mate, sounds like a good start! What Polish and pad did you use?
G.Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #23
Sam534
Washmitt Meister

I used green hex logic pad, tried with menz 4000 (old 3500) and that took some swirls but not all so went with 2500 and did the bonnet in 4 sections. Did 4 passes on each but I didn't have a good enough inspection light, so I'm ordering a Cree led torch. But it meant I didn't see the holograms I left. So next time I'll try 6 passes and I'll have to use a finishing polish on the bonnet.
Sam534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #24
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Just as an update, after being delayed due to weather I finally got to use my DA on Friday, as well as finishing off yesterday as I still had to abort thanks to rain stopping play! Quite frustrating but Ford Fair is next weekend so it was my last chance! Got a lot on this coming week but will try and grab some photos. It's not a full detail (i.e. Glass, tyres etc) as I'll be doing some mile this week and will add the finishing touches next Saturday before the show.

Just a quick summary of my thoughts as I learned a lot doing it:

- I was pleased that had it not been for the rain I could've washed, decontaminated, clayed, DA'd (single stage correction) and applied LSP in one 8 hour day. This is working on my 3 door Focus which was in pretty good nick, the clay bar didn't lift much.

- The DA wasn't as scary as I initially thought. It's pretty easy to handle, I think as long as you respect it, are careful and prep well then everything will be fine.

- I ended up using Menz 2200 with a Menz polishing pad. Using my PDG I was removing a very safe amount of paint, which was re-assuring. On reflection I could've done with a bit more cut, particularly on the bonnet, but hey-ho I wouldn't have had time for a finishing polish. Maybe next year. I might even just use a polish with more cut just on the bonnet at a later date.

- I think there's white polish residue in the tiny bonnet stone chips. I was under pressure to apply LSP before it rained and it was only later when researching on here I realised what it was and now I've sealed it in, d'oh! I've ordered some IPA and distilled water, hopefully this will let me remove the LSP locally and remove this residue? Any advice here welcome.

- My neighbours think I'm mad.

Overall it was a very satisfying process and I am really pleased with the results. I just really hope it's sunny next weekend so I can admire my handy work at Ford Fest!
Old 30-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #25
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

A few quick iPhone pics:

Last edited by G.Fraser; 04-08-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 31-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #26
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,762 Times in 2,900 Posts
Garage
Give yourself a pat on the back bud, your car looks great and them beads look great just hope the weather plays bal for you
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
G.Fraser (31-07-2017)
Old 31-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #27
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,765 Times in 2,069 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Fraser View Post
- I think there's white polish residue in the tiny bonnet stone chips. I was under pressure to apply LSP before it rained and it was only later when researching on here I realised what it was and now I've sealed it in, d'oh! I've ordered some IPA and distilled water, hopefully this will let me remove the LSP locally and remove this residue? Any advice here welcome.
IPA works as a degreaser to remove polishing oils, but it's more or less hopeless at removing applied, cured wax.

You want some panel wipe for this really - in a pinch you could use tar remover (although that would need rinsing off) or as an alternative, lighter fuel on an MF.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #28
G.Fraser
Sponge Jockey

Thanks Chongo, appreciate that as it was a lot of work!

Thanks for the tip Steelghost. After sleeping on it it's not that bad really. I reckon I'll just put up with it until the LSP eventually wears off and give it a little hand polish in the local area to get rid of the residue, if it's still there by then. Lesson learned for next time!