Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 28-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
ammo-mcr
Washmitt Meister

To all mobile detailers or people who polish outside - advise needed please

i am stuck in a situation where i have purchased 3 different light setups ( led worklight, halogens on tripod, e27 led bulbs on tripod in 5000k daylight colour) and i cannot seem to see the swirls which i know are there.

i wanted to ask all mobile detailers or people who polish outside what light setup do you use? do you guys have special lighting like scangrip sunmatch and multimatch to see the swirls or do you guys use gazebos to help prevent outside light getting in so you see the swirls or is there another good method ?

many thanks in advance
ammo-mcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
steview

With that set up you should have no problems seeing paint defects what colour car do you have?
steview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
ammo-mcr
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by steview View Post
With that set up you should have no problems seeing paint defects what colour car do you have?
3 cars we have
audi monsoon grey (mid/dark grey)
mini melting silver (gold with slight greysilver look in colour)
vw reflex silver (pure silver)

i know silver and light grey are very hard to see swirls but the gold and grey should be easier to see ,in the night under street lighting i can see all the swirls clearly

when you polish outside steview do you use a gazebo/tent to create shade? or does your lighting show up everything?
ammo-mcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #4
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

Take any 12" square on your car either visually or tape it off. In a strong natural light situation take a step back and observe from different angles. By definition the 1000's of microscratches that make up the appearance of swirls are random in nature. BUT in any square you pick they will not have a perfect random distribution. Hence from different angles they can be more noticeable than others. Adding a specific concentrated light source to the mix doesn't help. It will further diffuse the effect of the natural light making the appearance to your eye more confusing and hence no swirls. I'd always endeavour to use the shade to your advantage both for visual inspection and also allowing the polishes to perform a little better compared to in direct sunlight. If I ever do use a light in the situation you're describing. I use a rechargeable 10w led with vertical adjustment and placed on the floor to create the angles necessary for good light refraction. In that it's hitting the scratches from a totally different direction than the natural light.

Last edited by Moet1974; 28-07-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moet1974 For This Useful Post:
ammo-mcr (29-07-2017), slim_boy_fat (29-07-2017)
Old 28-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

Please excuse the very tired post. It certainly won't make sense for a bonnet or roof!!!!
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote