Detailing World Forum banner

Faded Yellow paint under lacquer

7K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  rubbishboy 
#1 ·
Hi, if paint has faded underneath the lacquer, is it still possible to restore the colour? Or would you just be polishing the lacquer?

Thanks
John :)

#4 ·
I think a good glaze would revive your colour. I would give Prima Amigo a try
Would this be covering up the faded paint?
Im trying to understand really, as my logic makes me think that to polish a faded pigment you would need to cut back that faded pigment. With a clear lacquer covering the faded layer my head says that I wont be able to get to the faded paint to be able to do anything with it?
If that makes sense?
My logic may be completely wrong though?

#9 ·
is it fiat by any chance, these are known to fade under the lacquer and as such its a respray job as you cant get to the paint for the lacquer. Not what you hoped to hear but afraid thats what happens sometimes.
Its a Seat.
I thought that would be the case, it is a shame, but like you say it happens.
I was expecting this answer to be honest.

#18 ·
I have an ovni seat too and there's nothing you can do other than a respray.

You are right that the colour fades beneat the laquer. Sometimes a polish will make it look a bit better.

I'm told that seat used a very cheap old laquer to cut costs.
The plastic parts don't fade as much due to the addition of plasticiser.

I ended up having mine resprayed to sort it

#24 · (Edited)
Why not try a test section?
Its not my car otherwise I would. I'm trying to decide if I could do anything with it for someone, I had doubts whether I would be able to improve it so before said I could and got them to drive it round, I thought Id ask opinions here to see what you guys recommended.
Its wasn't just pure laziness... honest :D

#27 ·
SEAT Ovni Yellow, very prone to this and a polish or glaze won't sort it out unfortunately. Of course using a polish or glaze will still make it shiny and the effect of shiny may make it look a bit better, but that colour fade is in the colour coat itself which is locked away by the clear coat. It's the pigment in the colour coat that has been broken down by UV light, the yellow pigment being much more sensitive to UV then other colour pigments (some reds suffer too).

I've heard a couple of reasons from experienced painters about the cause, one being that the clear on Ovni never had the right clear coat with enough UV inhibiters and another being the pigment in the colour just being too damn sensitive to UV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.