Detailing World Forum banner

AG UHD not giving me the wetlook on brand new car(?)

5K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  midas 
#1 ·
Hi.

So I got the opportunity to go and wax my brand new car at the dealership before taking delivery.
Wiped down the car with IPA and applied 2 coats of AutoGlym UHD Wax.
After being finished I got no woaw-effect, or the presence of a brand new car-look.
It plainly looks like a few years old car being washed and dried.

Seing some instructional videos on the car, (same model and color) and they have a great wetlook on it.
My result was of no inspiration to me. (Sorry no pictures. But bland, tame, and boring result).

What did I do wrong?
(Remember. Brand new car, perfect paint, 2 coatings of AG UHD, boring result, no wetlook.)

Here is the example of a wetlook on the same car and color as mine.
I would have liked a similar look as on the video.

#2 ·
I can’t help with uhd as I’m yet to try it but where I live in Newcastle it’s a main port for vw Audi and nissans.

Looking on google maps you can see huge car parks, hidden from normal view of thousands of cars all built, brand new and stood for weeks/months until somone buys them.

These storage parks are next to the sea, with all its salty spray and sea air.

On top of this I often see drivers taking new cars, still in transport wrap between the parks on the main roads. They will get dirty so that means a wash by the dealers valeters.

I would express caution that a new car automatically means perfect paint.

As we all know, results of wax is about preparation and just applying a coat of wax and expecting the result, even on anew car is maybe expecting too much?

#3 ·
As Andy said above, it's all in the prep buddy. That's why the majority of us on DW would refuse the dealer and pre-collection prep as they are well known for doing more bad than good.

Most if not all waxes will look sweet on top of well prepped paint.

What prep did the dealer do before the wax application is the main question here as opposed to the UHD capabilities.

#6 ·
Definitely in the prep!

I’d have done a full wash and decon routine checked for any swirls/scratches imparted when with the dealer looking to either compound it or polish/glaze it. Then I’d have waxed it.

I’m surprised you’ve said the UHD is bad as it is though, as the old HD wax looks amazing on my 7 year old Black Ford Focus!

#7 ·
I don't think the UHD should be to blame here.
The car had not sit on a parking lot.
It is brand new, just off the vessel, and on trailer to dealer.
Dealer removed protective plastic and covers/foil. Washed the car down.

Used IPA and went over the car with a swirlspotter, and the paint is in great condition.

My question is now:
Should I have applied a glaze first?
Will the wax even stick to the car if glazed first?

I was under the impression that was on a brand new car would give a great result.
But got dissapointed here.

If we say the car was clean and swirl free. What should I have done in my process to get the wetlook?

#8 ·
I don't think the UHD should be to blame here.
The car had not sit on a parking lot.
It is brand new, just off the vessel, and on trailer to dealer.
Dealer removed protective plastic and covers. Washed the car down.

Went over the car with swirlspotter, and the paint is in great condition.

My question is now?
Should I have applied a glaze first?
Will the wax even stick to the car if glazed first?

I was under the impression that was on a brand new car would give a great result.
But got dissapointed here.

If we say the car was clean and swirl free. What should I have done i my process to get the wetlook?
what about lighting etc. its pretty dreary nowadays and the sun is never flattering. and maybe it just looked pretty 'good' already. remember without doing a objective 50:50, every opinion youre giving it is based on subjective thoughts regarding the finish.

get it home, get it prep'd and do a 50:50.

#9 ·
As everyone else has said I would be very cautious about putting on wax straight at the dealers without the prep work first.
Yes its a new car but they do spend time sat in a car park before they get to you.
There could also be left over residue from the transport protection.
I havent used the new ag wax yet but did try the old one.
It looked good but didnt give the wet look i think you are after by the sounds of it.

But as others have said it is all in the prep work and you shouldn't really be applying a wax to car without knowing its completely clean.

#11 ·
All in the prep. UHD has always been good and glossy in my experience. After your full wash, decontamination and IPA/Panel wipe down you REALLY REALLY REALLY do need to follow with a either a good hand or machine polish in order to remove any marring or dulling of the finish due to the chemicals you have just used.

Then you can wax it. The LSP has very little to do with the overall finished look of the car, you'll see it at its best naked after polishing. All the wax might do is add a bit of a 'glow' to it due to it being a clear layer over the paint.

#12 ·
It is that glow I am missing.

Any products I can apply on top to bring a wetlook.
I read you people as most of the look is in the prep, and I see that.

It might also be some with the lighting. The video I posted at top clearly has a special lighting set, bringing out the effect.
But my car sat in the dealers show room. And I would expect their car show room lighted to show the cars at their best.

Could I put a glaze on top of the wax?
Any other products on top?

Just wanted a bit more glow, wet look, lush or something like that.

#21 ·
There's a minefield of products which give super gloss and wet look but none can do it to full effect unless the paint has been properly prepared and as stated, new cars are no exception.
One thing I can say is AG UHD is awesome on a pre prepped car.
The 'wet look' is something many of us crave. Much easier to achieve on a dark car than a light coloured one.

Harry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.