Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,780 Posts
Flying With Children

Just wondering if anyone has flown with kids? My eldest will be 3 and my youngest will be 9 months when we fly to Cali in the middle of next year. To be honest the thought of the flight fills me with dread!

We’ve deliberately not flown since they were born as they’re too young to remember it, however as it’s for a wedding we don’t really have a choice.

Any tips for keeping them happy for 11 hours? Really don’t want to end up being “that family” on the plane.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by cossiecol; 29-12-2017 at 10:08 AM.
cossiecol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
SamD
Washmitt Meister

What's the flight times? When my daughter was very young I'd book a night flight and keep her awake until we got on the plane and she would sleep right through.

Useful items:
iPad
Snacks
Mini games
Patience
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SamD For This Useful Post:
cossiecol (29-12-2017)
Old 29-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
quaver84
Unwashed Member

Hi there. From experience, lots of enthusiasm and excitment from the grown ups, a few teddies for the little ones to share the experience with, sweets (in moderation and for the descent), a couple of pillow things, and a tablet (or two) loaded with cbeebies games and their favourite tv shows.

Get to the airport in plenty of time and treat it like adventure in itself.

As long as you're relaxed and patient, they should follow your lead.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
quaver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to quaver84 For This Useful Post:
cossiecol (29-12-2017)
Old 29-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamD View Post
What's the flight times? When my daughter was very young I'd book a night flight and keep her awake until we got on the plane and she would sleep right through.

Useful items:
iPad
Snacks
Mini games
Patience
We’re going to book flights which will allow them to go to sleep at their usual times (for the long haul) the flight to London is only an hour so not too bad. Plus I believe that in the Dreamliner 787 it’s possible to turn a row of seats into a bed if they’re all booked and as we’re booking six seats the small glimmer of light is there may be a makeshift bed for at least one of them.
Old 29-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
MSwiss
Washmitt Meister

I have flown with my Children since they were very young and like you the first time I had worries. To be honest it wasn't a problem and the more you plan the better it is, as SamD has said ipads, games and snacks are all your friends. If the flight times are good and they can sleep all the better.

I generally fly with them on my own and have activity books at the ready, give yourself plenty of time at the airport. If you can make your life a little less stressful and use the lounge great. You can sit in comfort before getting on the plane and they can have snacks and drinks. I tend to use the fast security too as this is where people are stressed out and it makes life easier for you (I fly every other week). Getting on board happy is a good start.

I must admit I haven't done 11 hours but I am sure it will go well.
MSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSwiss For This Useful Post:
cossiecol (29-12-2017)
Old 29-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
davies20
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I've got 4 children and have flown a fair few times since they were young. Took Lincoln, the second eldest to Florida when he was only 4 weeks old back in 2012!

All the above is sound advice. One thing i would say after doing numerous short & long haul flights with the kids is don't worry about being 'That family' as you mention. I used to be like this & get stressed as soon as one started to get a bit ratty, which then lead to them getting more annoyed, crying and stressed!!

You have paid for your flight, you don't want them to be upset as much as anyone else on the plane - so **** anyone else! The more you try & keep the kids still, the more of a battle you will have. Quite simply don't expect to watch any films of your own!

Best of luck, i don't envy 11 hours!!

Last edited by cossiecol; 29-12-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Swear filter (but thanks for the reply)
davies20 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davies20 For This Useful Post:
cossiecol (29-12-2017)
Old 29-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
BTS
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemattw View Post
How considerate you are of other people! By you're reckoning does that mean that a p*ssed up rugby team can get on a plane and shout and sing rugby songs for the duration as they've paid their tickets so **** anyone else?!
They are children at the end of the day. Not grown adults, who should know better.

I dont have kids but been on various flights with my young nieces and nephews. We found a good set of over ear headphones and tablets works wonders for them and keeps them entertained. Also games on mobile phones.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
BTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
Fentum
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,213 Times in 737 Posts
This may provoke an ethical storm but here goes:

I'm long past this stage but I will admit with the tiniest bit of shame to using an antihistamine specifically for toddlers (sold by Boots) containing Chlorphenamine when my son was three. This generally has a sedative effect on most toddlers, but not all.

I did not do a dry run before and got away with it - he fell asleep before take-off and awoke bright and breezy just before we landed in Antigua (8ish hours). A friend also did not try beforehand either and only found out once in the air that it made her child more hyperactive and the child got the trots mid-flight - apparently a known side-effect.

I have also used melatonin on a flight to Australia (2nd leg), both for myself and my son (then 6), with absolutely no ill effect, but I think it can only be found over the counter in the USA.

Peter
Fentum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
muzzer

Thanked 4,415 Times in 2,816 Posts
Garage
Did a four hr flight to Cyprus with an 18 month old, most of the advice here is spot on
. Basically her mum & dad just had to keep her entertained for the duration of the flight but it was a late afternoon flight and to be fair her parents are not the most....attentive.

As for being ‘that family’ most people realise that kids need attention and are understanding, those who dont are using their passive agressive displays to cover their own inadequacies
Old 29-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by davies20 View Post
I've got 4 children and have flown a fair few times since they were young. Took Lincoln, the second eldest to Florida when he was only 4 weeks old back in 2012!

All the above is sound advice. One thing i would say after doing numerous short & long haul flights with the kids is don't worry about being 'That family' as you mention. I used to be like this & get stressed as soon as one started to get a bit ratty, which then lead to them getting more annoyed, crying and stressed!!

You have paid for your flight, you don't want them to be upset as much as anyone else on the plane - so **** anyone else! The more you try & keep the kids still, the more of a battle you will have. Quite simply don't expect to watch any films of your own!

Best of luck, i don't envy 11 hours!!
maybe wrongly worded with the best intentions.

ive no kids and holiday about 4-5 times a year. from a non parent point of view aslong as the parents are trying then theres nothing you can do as at the end of the day their just kids and dont understand how a metal cylinder can fly!

its the chav'y parents that just leave them to scream and dont make an effort that annoy people (other parents included if i can lip read!)

oh, and enjoy!

altho unless its a close family member id be giving it a swerve
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
Caledoniandream (30-12-2017), cossiecol (29-12-2017), davies20 (29-12-2017)