Detailing World Forum banner

Why a filter is better than a softener for car washing?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wavestar 
#1 ·
'I have a water softener so why do I need a water filter'?
Its a question we have been asked and I've seen posted, so this may be useful information.

This is a not unreasonable question as both systems improve the quality of your mains water but in very different ways.

A water softener alters the make up of the dissolved minerals in the water whereas a water filter actually removes them to produce pure water with no dissolved mineral content. The resin in a water softener exchanges calcium and magnesium minerals for sodium based minerals. The limescale that you see around the house is basically calcium carbonate and a water softener converts the dissolved calcium carbonate to dissolved sodium bicarbonate, which is much more soluble than its calcium equivalent and does not form limescale and therefore allows soaps to work better and stops scale build up on things like bath taps, showers and shower screens and any other water using device.

A Race Glaze water filter uses a slightly different resin that doesn't exchange anything, but simply absorbs all of the dissolved minerals in the water leaving nothing behind.

For example, if you took an average 1 litre jar of hard water, the same volume of softened water and also filtered water, and then evaporated away the water and measured what was left, the hard water would typically have between 280 and 380 milligrams of minerals left behind (for a typical hard water area), the same for the softened water (only the minerals would be in a different form) while the filtered water would have less than 5 milligrams, probably closer to 1 milligram of dissolved minerals.

It is these minerals that cause spotting on the car once washed and while the spots that occur with softened water are generally paler and not as noticeable as with hard water, they still occur. The filtered water with the close to zero mineral content will leave no spots however, as there is nothing left in the water to cause the spots.

Race Glaze Refillable 0ppm Water Filters are available in 3 sizes at www.raceglaze.co.uk, from £99.00.

See less See more
#4 ·
Waste of time imo having it plumbed to your jetwash mate, just using way more filtered water then you actually need to which means you will need to change the resin more frequently.

Just pre wash car as normal with normal water and pw then onto the wash stage. Final rinse with the DI filter and a length of hose. Thats what i do with mine :thumb:

Best detailing purchase i have ever made too btw, perfect for those summer washes where washing the car is a nightmare as it dries as you go!

#3 ·
Very helpful Mark, thanks for the explanation.

From what you say, it is pointless plumbing my DI vessel to be sourced from my domestic water softener as the there is just as much mineral to filter, may as well plumb straight from normal mains water source?

thanks in advance,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.