Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Ethics
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 50
Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
First rotary polisher

Hey guy bought my first polisher is the tec take I summed up the silverline against it but value for money overtook me lol I like to budget I've got a mazda mx5 as project car so hopefully il be able to try it on that soon as it's got a lot of swirls an hazing so here's a few pics of the package


Any tips on like compounds an pad combos would be nice ?? I'd appreciate it











Cheers lads
Ethics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
fethead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
fethead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,404
Thanks: 583
Thanked 412 Times in 304 Posts
BIG QUESTION that!

It depends on the paint hardness and all sorts of variables, such as paint condition -marring, swirls, holograms etc.
A start could be Meguiars 105 and 205. A good combination. Sonax Perfect finish if the paint is softer, allowing a single stage correction.
How is your technique with a rotary?

Regards,
Richard

PS - there are also ladies on here (Cheers lads ). Just a heads up!

Last edited by fethead; 22-10-2013 at 03:12 AM.
fethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Ethics
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 50
Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fethead View Post
BIG QUESTION that!

It depends on the paint hardness and all sorts of variables, such as paint condition -marring, swirls, holograms etc.
A start could be Meguiars 105 and 205. A good combination. Sonax Perfect finish if the paint is softer, allowing a single stage correction.
How is your technique with a rotary?

Regards,
Richard

PS - there are also ladies on here (Cheers lads ). Just a heads up!


Haha cheers for that heads up lol

In all honesty bud I'm not really sure what my technique is yet hoping to test it out on the mx5 sometime this week as it's my project car and the paintwork is just full of swirls an holograms so that'd be a good test and ahhh sweet I heard about the Meg's heard that's really good the sonax might work well cause jap paint is quite soft ?

What about the poorboys selection the ssr ? Does anyone rate it ?


Cheers fellow DW members ( lol better ? )
Ethics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
fethead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
fethead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,404
Thanks: 583
Thanked 412 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethics View Post
Haha cheers for that heads up lol

In all honesty bud I'm not really sure what my technique is yet hoping to test it out on the mx5 sometime this week as it's my project car and the paintwork is just full of swirls an holograms so that'd be a good test and ahhh sweet I heard about the Meg's heard that's really good the sonax might work well cause jap paint is quite soft ?

What about the poorboys selection the ssr ? Does anyone rate it ?


Cheers fellow DW members ( lol better ? )
Try out your technique on a scrap panel first. Look at the guides on the forum. With a rotary its so easy to burn through paint-especially on the edges. Have you got a paint thickness gauge? Jap paint is quite thin as well. I've not tried the Poorboys polishes.
Hope this helps a little.

Richard
fethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Ethics
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 50
Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fethead View Post
Try out your technique on a scrap panel first. Look at the guides on the forum. With a rotary its so easy to burn through paint-especially on the edges. Have you got a paint thickness gauge? Jap paint is quite thin as well. I've not tried the Poorboys polishes.
Hope this helps a little.

Richard
Yeah bud will do no I haven't yet, one has been ordered though so hopefully soon il have it what speed should be a maximum for the rotary ? Cheers for your help bud
Ethics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
fethead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
fethead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,404
Thanks: 583
Thanked 412 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethics View Post
Yeah bud will do no I haven't yet, one has been ordered though so hopefully soon il have it what speed should be a maximum for the rotary ? Cheers for your help bud
1000 to 1500rpm is normal for working the polish. Jeweling needs to be as slow as the machine can go. Look at the Zenith technique of beginning slowly to spread the polish and then working up through speeds, to work the polish and break it down (dependant on the polish type) and the back down through the speeds to prevent holograms and finish. Keep the rotary moving fluidly and at a medium pace (when jeweling keep the movement slow). This why jeweling takes along time on a rotary. Throughout the process be aware of the heat of the panel. Just practice. Don't use a lot of pressure, let the machine do the work. On horizontal panels the machine weight will aid in polishing, whereas the vertical panels the operator needs to push a little.
Polish on dude,

Richard

PS - if your using small pads (say 80mm) the speed needs to be higher. This due to larger pads outside edges moving quickly due their circumference.

If I'm wrong, someone will tell me off!

Last edited by fethead; 22-10-2013 at 03:48 PM.
fethead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fethead For This Useful Post:
Ethics (22-10-2013)
Old 22-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Ethics
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 50
Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Mate full respects to you really appreciate your help bud il be having a look at all that today cheers
Ethics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors