Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
rmac86
Washmitt Meister

Ever use a jet wash bay for a detail?

Most of my equipment including power washer and DA polisher are sitting under piles of carpet and bubble wrap at the moment (don’t ask) so can’t get at them to properly give my new car its first detail. Car is stinking (pure white) and the weather isn’t going to change any time soon, so I was thinking this weekend I may just take the stuff I can get my hands on (buckets, grit guards, microfibers, wash mitts etc.), throw it all in the boot and drive to my local jet wash to do the detail. Jet wash machine is in a covered bay so if it rains (very likely) no big deal. Plus there are 2 bays side by side, leaving one free for anyone wanting to use it.

Plan of attack is to fill two large 20L buckets at home before I leave, they have lids so hopefully won’t leak all over the boot whilst in transit. The rinse bucket will be filled while the wash bucket only half filled, idea is I add the shampoo (AG Bodywork Shampoo - blue label) and foam up with the power hose when I get to the jet wash. Quick spray with OCD citrus prewash from a pump sprayer (wheels and lower panels) followed by a rinse with the pressure hose should get rid of most stubborn dirt. Wheels will be washed with OCD Wheel Cleanse and Daytona brush, then a 2BM wash of the whole car from top to bottom with Simoniz wash mitts (Obviously I won’t use the jet wash brush). After washing, a good rinse followed by drying with Kent large yellow towels. Bilt Hamber soft clay will then be used to decontaminate the paint ready for polishing. Polishing will be with Autoglym SRP or Meguiars Ultimate Compound followed by a single coat of EGP to seal it all in. Windows will be given a spray of Rain-X and all exterior trims will be dressed with Autosmart Highstyle. Finally, tyres will be treated to Meguiars Endurance tyre gel to bring out the shine.

Only issue I can see is the petrol station owner refusing to let me spend all day using the wash bay, but this shouldn’t be an issue as there is obviously the other bay beside plus most people seem to use the automatic brush wash anyway. Or there is a slight risk of running out of spare change – the jet wash costs £1.50 for 3 minutes so about £10 in coins should suffice, if I even need that much. There is an ATM and a shop in the petrol station so even if I do run out of change it shouldn’t be for long. Or maybe the EGP cure time might be an issue, although I may just go for a long 30 minute smoke break to let it cure!

What do you guys think of this plan – am I mad? Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Thanks,

R.
rmac86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
steveo3002
Mr Sparkle

Thanked 1,240 Times in 934 Posts
Send a message via MSN to steveo3002
cant see you being welcome there all day , id wash and dry it then head off somewhere else to carry on with the work
steveo3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Puntoboy
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,161 Times in 824 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Puntoboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo3002 View Post
cant see you being welcome there all day , id wash and dry it then head off somewhere else to carry on with the work
That's what I have done. You wouldn't be welcome in the wash bay for any longer than you paid for so I would find a jet was that takes pound coins, rather than having to go a pay for a code for X minutes. Take buckets ready filled to wash. Then once you've finished the wash stage pull forward out of the bay (and out of the way of anyone else) and finish your work.

I've done this several times when I've had an early start for a car show and didn't want to disturb the neighbours with my pressure washer at 7am.

Last edited by Puntoboy; 06-08-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Puntoboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
lobotomy

I've done this before when I lived in the flat - sometimes just in-between decent washes.

1. Spray pre-wash on the car from a pump sprayer
2. Spray Wheel Cleaner on the wheels
3. Put money in machine
4. Fill the buckets (Wash / Rinse / Wheels) and sit them to the side
5. Rinse off the pre-wash and wheel cleaner, spray up in the arches etc and get the most of the major dirt off
6. Reverse the car out to the side (so anyone else can get into the bay)
7. Wash Wheels
8. 2 bucket wash
9. Pull back in and rinse the car
10. reverse back out and dry / apply tyre coating etc

The only difference to a normal wash is moving the car back/forth a few feet in between, and I usually like to rinse the car during a wash in sections as I go rather than after the whole car is done. I also don't usually bother with a third bucket for wheels (if there's not a tap around anyway)

Oh... and the people looking at you like you're a total ***!
lobotomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
m1pui

Thanked 1,167 Times in 883 Posts
Don't bank on filling/topping off your buckets with the jet wash either. Assuming you can't control it, the pressure that the water comes out will more likely force water out of them than add any into them
m1pui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
rmac86
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puntoboy View Post
That's what I have done. You wouldn't be welcome in the wash bay for any longer than you paid for so I would find a jet was that takes pound coins, rather than having to go a pay for a code for X minutes. Take buckets ready filled to wash. Then once you've finished the wash stage pull forward out of the bay (and out of the way of anyone else) and finish your work.

I've done this several times when I've had an early start for a car show and didn't want to disturb the neighbours with my pressure washer at 7am.
It’s one of those ‘buy-time’ jet washes, so you just pay as you go and top up when you need more time. Buckets will be taken pre-filled with suds and rinse water so I can save time there.

I personally can’t see an issue with doing the full job in the bay, especially as there is always going to be the free bay beside the one I’m using and that no one ever seems to use either jet wash at all, everyone seems to just use the automatic car wash instead for some weird reason. I actually have never seen anyone ever using the jet wash in all the time I’ve been at the station, which is going on years now I think. Is there some other reason why I couldn’t use it most of the day?

I might just talk to the owner beforehand just to make sure it would be ok, I wouldn’t want to get booted out half way through the polishing or sealing job.

Thanks,

R.
rmac86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
dandam
Orbital Oracle

I hope the lids are on very tight !!
dandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
m1pui

Thanked 1,167 Times in 883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandam View Post
I hope the lids are on very tight !!
I've driven to the local jet wash a few times with filled buckets. Both the Gamma seal and the Elite's own lids have never leaked a drop.

I usually put them in the front or rear footwell and adjust the seat so that they can't tipple over.
m1pui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
Sicskate

Thanked 1,346 Times in 1,069 Posts
Why do you need to polish, wax and dress it all at the same time??

Best option would be to wash it, then move on...

I wash mine at my parents, if I stuck around there it would take me a month of Sunday's to achieve anything.
Sicskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
Puntoboy

Thanked 1,161 Times in 824 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Puntoboy
Untitled by Chris Jeffrey, on Flickr

This is the kit of took when I was off to an Italian show the other week.
Puntoboy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoglym, detail, jetwash, rmac86