Detailing World Forum banner

Cabriolet Roof - Help !

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  RaceGlazer 
#1 ·
Hi all,

The red roof on my 2008 A3 cab has developed some green gunk/mildew/moss/thing which I want to clean off.

I tried the Autoglym cab roof cleaner with the supplied sponge but it doesn't seem to work.

In the past, before the mildew problem, I tried using the Renovo cleaner but I ended up with dark patches. Not sure where I went wrong with that.

Any advice on:
a) how to remove the mildew ?
b) Tips on cleaning/proofing to avoid patches and streaks ?

Also, would using a Jet wash on the roof help in any way with the mildew problem. I am a bit loathe to try it before getting some advice from you guys.

Thanks for any help and advice

#4 ·
Thanks for the posts.

Does Surfex HD have mildew resistant properties to protect from future contamination ?

Also, how much better is it than AG or Renovo ?

Now that I have watched the video maybe the answer is using Removo/AG with a brush as opposed to a sponge ?

Finally, how can I avoid getting dark patches after the cleaner dries which is what happened the first time ?

#7 ·
Hi all,

The red roof on my 2008 A3 cab has developed some green gunk/mildew/moss/thing which I want to clean off.

I tried the Autoglym cab roof cleaner with the supplied sponge but it doesn't seem to work.

In the past, before the mildew problem, I tried using the Renovo cleaner but I ended up with dark patches. Not sure where I went wrong with that.

Any advice on:
a) how to remove the mildew ?
b) Tips on cleaning/proofing to avoid patches and streaks ?

Also, would using a Jet wash on the roof help in any way with the mildew problem. I am a bit loathe to try it before getting some advice from you guys.

Thanks for any help and advice
Hi,

If the green has taken hold of the roof it may need a few cleaning attempts to get it back to original colour. A good tip is to agitate and then cover the roof still ramp roof with a plastic sheet to keep it damp and leave it for a few hours or over night. The biological element of the cleaner will keep on working and continue to remove the green. The key with a roof (as with all areas of the car) is to clean it a little and often, that way the dirt/green won;t be able to take hold. If you are still having issues give us a call and we can talk it through with you.

#9 ·
Renovo Fabric Hood Cleaner contains fungicide and bactericide which will kill off algae and stop regrowth. Follow the 'heavy soil' instructions and use warm water. Will do the job in one, or very worst, 2 treatments, 500ml will do the job at £13.25.

Renovo Ultraproofer is your friend for long term protection.

if the colour has faded use Renovo Reviver, we stock their Burgundy colour - its a paint on water based dye and dead easy to use. Have used it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.