Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 15-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
tmitch45
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Nilfisk 140 Broken or just me?

After some research and being let down by a few Karcher's I decided to buy a Nilfisk 140 yesterday. I set it up and set about cleaning the front drive on full power. I went in for a cuppa Turing the hose supply from the tap off and turning the machine off. About half an hour later I returned and turned on the tap and machine and pulled the trigger. It ran for about 2 seconds then lost power then back to full power then down again. Turned it off/on no joy. The only thing that allows for a constant stream is turning the pressure down on the handle control but then its no more powerful than a hose pipe!! Also the standard nozzle was a straight spray pattern but now its bent one way and kind of all over the place. Today its just the same even after taking out the battery and resetting everything. Is there something I'm missing or is it a Friday afternoon machine or worse a return that's been given to me???

Last edited by tmitch45; 16-04-2018 at 07:50 AM.
tmitch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
MDC250
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,440 Times in 2,680 Posts
Maybe I’m missing something...you mention taking out the battery..?
MDC250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
tmitch45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC250 View Post
Maybe I’m missing something...you mention taking out the battery..?
There is a battery in the handle of the lance. Its allows you to control the pressure you want the washer to be set at. Too bloody complex if you ask me
Old 16-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
neilmcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitch45 View Post
After some research and being let down by a few Karcher's I decided to buy a Nilfisk 140 yesterday. I set it up and set about cleaning the front drive on full power. I went in for a cuppa Turing the hose supply from the tap off and turning the machine off. About half an hour later I returned and turned on the tap and machine and pulled the trigger. It ran for about 2 seconds then lost power then back to full power then down again. Turned it off/on no joy. The only thing that allows for a constant stream is turning the pressure down on the handle control but then its no more powerful than a hose pipe!! Also the standard nozzle was a straight spray pattern but now its bent one way and kind of all over the place. Today its just the same even after taking out the battery and resetting everything. Is there something I'm missing or is it a Friday afternoon machine or worse a return that's been given to me???
When you turned the hose back on did you run the water through the machine first to prime the washer before turning it on? Sounds like air in the system to me.
neilmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neilmcl For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (17-04-2018)
Old 16-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
percymon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
When you turned the hose back on did you run the water through the machine first to prime the washer before turning it on? Sounds like air in the system to me.
+1
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,761 Times in 2,067 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Emphasis mine - I wonder if a piece of debris is stuck in the nozzle and has reduced the effective size to the point that the machine can no longer operate at full output because the back pressure is too high. Check the nozzle under a good light for signs of rubbish being stuck in there...
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (17-04-2018)
Old 17-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
tmitch45

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
Emphasis mine - I wonder if a piece of debris is stuck in the nozzle and has reduced the effective size to the point that the machine can no longer operate at full output because the back pressure is too high. Check the nozzle under a good light for signs of rubbish being stuck in there...
I've used the supplied needle and had a good poke around but nothing has made a difference so far. I'll take another look. CHeers
Old 17-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,761 Times in 2,067 Posts
Garage
If the spray pattern is all wrong I can't see any other reason for that than having something stuck in the nozzle so definitely one to pursue a bit further
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (19-04-2018)
Old 17-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #9
riskypicker
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Ive got the 140 and have had for a while, occasionally mine does what you describe too.

I dont ever use the battery powered control on the lance.

I turn off power - run LOTS of water through it as it does tend to be an air issue as others have suggested. We had low water pressure for a bit and it really didnt like that at all.

Its never failed to go back to full bore yet.
riskypicker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to riskypicker For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (19-04-2018)
Old 17-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
percymon

Garage
Quote:
I've used the supplied needle and had a good poke around but nothing has made a difference so far. I'll take another look. CHeers
Taking just the lance end you could try back flushing it with an open hose, or a blast with compressed air .

What happens if you just use the trigger gun half of the lance (ie not the lance nozzle section on the end) ?
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote