Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 20-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
C3LJG
Washmitt Meister

Send a message via MSN to C3LJG
Smoke

My parents have been looking at a second hand freelander which they really like but was owned by a smoker previously and absolutely stinks of fags!

Whats the best way of removing the smell from the interior and getting it to stay away?

Thanks

Luke
C3LJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
JJ_
DW Sponsor

Thanked 1,934 Times in 1,209 Posts
Garage
Depends how far you want to go really. I have witnessed people taking door cards off, carpeting etc.

A good deep clean with a reputable carpet cleaner should do the trick to be honest and make sure everything gets a wipe down with an All Purpose Cleaner.

John.
Old 27-11-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Clean_Image
Sponge Jockey

I shouldn't think that removing carpets and door panels will help much.
But you do have to remove all the ash and it does tend to end up down the steering colum - so it's worth taking the housing appart and vacing it out and wiping it down with a mild detergent.
Clean_Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
bazc
Washmitt Meister

steam clean the whole interior, starting with the headcloth and work ur way down
bazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
182_Blue
ADMIN

Thanked 4,393 Times in 2,889 Posts
think i just may avoid it alltogether, the smell will be quite hard to loose, as well as the staining, but if they must buy it dont get the sound deadening to wet as it has been known to smell like an old dead animal when its been overwet
182_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
JJ_
DW Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Image
I shouldn't think that removing carpets and door panels will help much.
But you do have to remove all the ash and it does tend to end up down the steering colum - so it's worth taking the housing appart and vacing it out and wiping it down with a mild detergent.

Thats what jimminary over in the states does who is probably one of the best detailers world wide.

Ive seen when he takes the doors cards out all the soot behind and basic crap, the carpets if breathable can leave traces on the metal shell so this would need to be cleaned too.
Old 27-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Clean_Image
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_
Thats what jimminary over in the states does who is probably one of the best detailers world wide.

Ive seen when he takes the doors cards out all the soot behind and basic crap, the carpets if breathable can leave traces on the metal shell so this would need to be cleaned too.
Jimmi who? I just did a search on the name and came up with nothing... So I guess you miss-typed.

You don't need to go to those lengths of cigarette removal, cigarette smoke residue is pretty easy when you have the right gear. A fogger with citrus or an ozone machine will get just about anywhere the smoke will go. Ozone oxidizes the surface of any residue - but this is pretty old hat.
A fogger with a citrus oil will seal and coat residue and the signature note of citrus is opposite to the note of cigarette odour and so will mask it permanetly.
There are other products you can use too... but I gotta keep back one or two trade secrets!

As with any odour, you are wasting your time unless you remove the source of the smell - but with smoke and flood damage, the contamination gets everywhere (although As doors are sealed, I don't see how smoke could get inside them). It will even get up behind the dashboard and coats the wiring loom. It's just not possible to to clean all this by hand... it would be cheaper to write the car off. Thats why you clean what you can and then fog or ozone the rest. Fog will go anywhere that smoke will go, and cigarette smoke isn't that harsh - it leaves ash and coats things in tar but it's not that bad. If you have a fire in the car, that is a different matter as it creates soot and very nasty tar, and it's best to strip the car down as the smoke damage will ruin many plastics and they will need replacing anyway.
We have an article on one the fire damaged cars we did an odour kill and clean-up on.

The techniques and technology are well developed. There are many companies that do clean-ups on houses for fire and flood, and many other accidents including cleaning up the stench of dead bodies!
Our guys go on training courses with Unsmoke - the worlds leading company, to learn these skills, which we when do on cars... which is rather unusual because most insurance companies write off cars with severe odours.

But with cars that have been smoked in, we usually find we just have to clean up the housing of the steering colum, shampoo the car and then fog it. However, I'm told that some of the commercially available car deodourizers are very effective and heard people on other forums say they had success with them... I haven't used them, so who am I to argue? It's probably a variation of the same technology we are using.
Clean_Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #8
C3LJG
Washmitt Meister

Send a message via MSN to C3LJG
Well they went ahead a got the car, on the condition the dealer got rid of the smell, which they seemed to have done.

We have had it for a few days now and no sign of any smells, so what ever they used seems to have worked. Did give the as trays a clean out though.

I now have to spend some time detailing the whole car for her as it is a nice dark gun metal grey and will look great when given some attention!
C3LJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 08:04 AM   #9
Brazo
ADMIN

Thanked 3,292 Times in 1,700 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Image
Jimmi who? I just did a search on the name and came up with nothing... So I guess you miss-typed.
The guy is now known as Jimmi Buffit, used to be called Jimmiary
Brazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
JJ_
DW Sponsor

Garage
Thanks brazo.

I would probably say he is the best detailer on autopia and that means probably the best worldwide.

If you find the post you will see how bad the inside of the door card actually is.