Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Eco Friendly Detailing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Eco Friendly Detailing Talk About all your Eco Products here - Waterless wash / Steam cleaning etc

Old 28-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #121
A&J
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,144 Times in 835 Posts
Final update - Swirl removal and conclusion

This will be my final update to a long term test where I used only rinseless shampoos to wash my car over winter.

The point of the test was to show you guys & gals that using these shampoos wont harm your paint any more than the stuff you are curently

using.

If used in a correct manner rinseless shampoos are even safer than traditional shampoos. The story behind the concept or theory is that

traditional soappy shampoos are removed after rinsing them so you are dragging your MF towel on bare paint and causing friction between

them while Rinseless shampoos leave a polymer behind that aid in slickness and helps you dry safer (that is at least true for OPT ONR...I

cannot say the same for other rinseless shampoos as I dont know the chemistry behind them).

They also work diferently as soapy shampoos. They trap, emulsify and encapsulate dirt, safely lifting it from the surface and removing it

inside your wash media but note that not all wash medias are good for rinseless. You dont have to complicate too much as a quality sponge

or noodle MF mitt will work just fine. Top tip for this...use the one that releases dirt easily and sponges do that fast and best.

Whichever one you choose note that one pass of Rinseless solution on the paint might not be enough and that maybe sometimes 2-3 will be

needed before removing the excess solution of the paint. And when you do wipe it off you dont need a lot of force doing it...a few light

swipes are better than one agressive swipe. Remember its not the wash process that is inflicting damage its the drying one, but at the

same time you need to do a quality wash before drying. One tip here is to make sure the product starts beading on the surface. That is the

indicator that tells you that you can now safely dry the paint. If the water is still flat on the surface then the road film, and other

dirt has not been succesfully lifted from the surface. In that case do a couple more passes.

I tried a number of Rinseless shampoos along the way, some I liked and some I diddnt but the truth is they all worked. Im still a fan of

ONR and probably always will be but I have discovered a new shampoo that worked really great for me and that was Surf city garage rinse

free wash&wax.

There was also a shampoo that works really well but at the same time I dont like for its residue. That product is Carpro Ech2o. I used it

a couple of times now and even though its the best lubricated and strongest shampoo I just hate the sealant residue it leaves behind for

me to wipe. Its a extra step to take I dont really have time or patience for.

OK lets get back to the point of the test.

I did 10 washes on camera and an extra 3 off camera...one of them was with a standard shampoo I was trying out.
Over the winter I did notice some shallow long swirls that were most likely caused by the drying towel I was using at the time. The

problem with this towel was it did not see the inside of the washing machine in a while and therefore it did acumulate dirt over time. I

believe that was the reason I got them. The twist with these light marring was that they were only visible under the sunlight and under a

certain angle...step 2 steps back and they were gone from the naked eye. Even my spot light or my reflector did not pick them up but they

were there.

As for removal a simple pre-wax cleaner glaze (DJ lime prime lite) covered them quite well so a more agressive polish was not needed. I

still used OPT poli-seal and OPT hyper seal as an example.

Here is the video

Note its quite long...where I cleaned, deconed, clayed and polished the left side of the car...the very same part of the car we were

testing all along.

In my conclusion these washes are safe to use if used in a right way. The technique of washing has to be adapted to the cleaner. You

really have to apply some logic, asses the paint first and respond accordingly. If the car needs a pre-wash (might it be a TFR, snow foam

or APC) and PW rinse then do so if you wish.

There are no rules here and no detailing police will hunt you down if you wash your car in a different and a unique way.

Also please note that these shampoos are not waterless...that is another bunch of worms and I did a video on it in the last 10th update.
Again ONR is NOT a waterless solution...it never has been and it never will be.

Thats it from me...

For the few of you who followed this test from starto to finish I apploud you for doing so. I hope you learned something usefull and

implemented it in your wash process.
For the rest of you who diddnt...read from start to the end...youll learn a lot. Hopefully it will be that TFRs and Snow foams are not

always needed and that a simple rinseless wash can safely remove whatever is bugging you. This chart might also help you decide the

apropriate wash depending on how dirty it is.

Finally thanks for watching

A&J
A&J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
Bigpikle (28-05-2017), Cons91 (28-05-2017), firehorse (28-05-2017), lowejackson (01-06-2017), M1UDE (01-06-2017), Rodriguez (28-05-2017), sm81 (28-05-2017), steelghost (29-05-2017), todds (06-06-2017), tosh (05-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #122
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,943 Times in 2,501 Posts
A&J, nice thread showing the benefits of rinseless washing, thanks for taking the time to post all your results. Glad you ended up with a product you really like, even if it not made by OPT
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lowejackson For This Useful Post:
A&J (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #123
A&J

Thanks Lowe...I still ended with ONR as my go-to but there are so many products out there that do the job just as well. Ill still keep buying ONR which I cant say the same for others, some because I dont like and others because I cant get anymore. It was still fun trying them and comparing them to ONR.
The Following User Says Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
sm81 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #124
tosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&J View Post

Finally thanks for watching

A&J
Thank you for sticking with this to the end
I've been an ONR/Rinseless convert for quite a while

For any doubters out there - just give it a go - if you don't have easy access to water, or are time poor, or just don't like dragging multiple buckets and hoses out every time you wash your car(s), it really does work.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tosh For This Useful Post:
A&J (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #125
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,061 Posts
Garage
A very interesting read, A&J. I've got my 32oz bottle of ONR, my Bigpikle-approved grout sponges, a spare pump sprayer and I picked up a nice big, white plasterer's bucket at the weekend to be able to see what comes off the sponge. Now I just need half an hour where the boys and the wife aren't mithering me to do something else
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
A&J (09-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #126
Deje
PC Perfectionist

Missed some spots on my car when I washed it yesterday, thought I could now test my rinsless wash that I bought a couple of months ago, a disappointment, did not even get rid of a little light traffic film!

I do not need to mention the name, but it is a famous brand.
Deje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #127
sm81
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,112 Times in 986 Posts
Spill it out ...
sm81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #128
A&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deje View Post
Missed some spots on my car when I washed it yesterday, thought I could now test my rinsless wash that I bought a couple of months ago, a disappointment, did not even get rid of a little light traffic film!
Depends on how you used it...a lot of people who were dissapointed did not use it properly and tried to use it as a QD instead of a bucket wash. Also spray on and let it dwell for about a minute.

In my case unless if it was mud (which you want to PW off first anyways) or insect poo rinseless washes always removed whatever there was on my car (even during winter).

Also if your current wash regime didnt remove it its not likely a rinseless wash will. In that case use TFR, Snow foam or APC first to soften up dirt, traffic film, let it dwell and rinse, then use rinseless wash.
The Following User Says Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
ah234 (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #129
Deje
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&J View Post
Depends on how you used it...a lot of people who were dissapointed did not use it properly and tried to use it as a QD instead of a bucket wash. Also spray on and let it dwell for about a minute.

In my case unless if it was mud (which you want to PW off first anyways) or insect poo rinseless washes always removed whatever there was on my car (even during winter).

Also if your current wash regime didnt remove it its not likely a rinseless wash will. In that case use TFR, Snow foam or APC first to soften up dirt, traffic film, let it dwell and rinse, then use rinseless wash.
Of course, I use it following manufacturer's recommendations, or else had been strange to write about this in the forum!

Can just speak about this specific product, but it works worse than a quality schampoo If you look at the cleaning ability.

I said I missed some spots !! it does not have anything with my wash regime to do.

Last edited by Deje; 06-06-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Deje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #130
A&J

Sorry to hear that...Rinseless washes really arent for EVERY situation. If you live in a area where your car gets realy dirty really fast then a pre-wash (TFR, snow foam, APC) is a must and you are stuck with doing that.
I live in a area where that doesnt happen to me so I have no need for pre-washes for 90% of my washes.

In short...assess the situation and respond accordingly and use a wash that you are most comfortable with.

What works well in my world may always not work well in yours and vice versa

Last edited by A&J; 06-06-2017 at 10:10 AM.