Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 22-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
stealthwolf
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

E140 intermittently working

So after slagging off the E140.3 on here for its short hose, it seems to have bitten back and doesn't work like it should.

Got the PW out yesterday to do the first wash of the year. Connected everything up, let the water run through for a few seconds. Switched on the PW, hear it fire up. Pressed the trigger and nothing happened. Tried it a few times, switched the PW on/off, nothing.

Turned off the PW and disconnected the water hose so I could at least rinse off the wheel cleaner from the alloys. When I switched the PW back on (without the water supply), the PW kicked into life and tried to draw in water. I then immediately attached the water hose and pressed the trigger at the same time - PW worked as well as it should.

I kept the trigger depressed and managed to rinse down the whole car. I then 2BM washed the car and tried to rinse it off. After pressing the trigger a few times, the PW kicked into action and worked. When I had to go around and do the arches, I released the trigger and when I depressed it again, nothing happened.

Fed up, I put it away.

What's going on with the PW?
stealthwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
jr2007
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Could be a sticky pressure release valve. Some WD40 to clear the water and then some 3 in 1 oil or silicone grease should help if you are able to take the pressure washer apart. If it's on its last legs, might be time to upgrade to a P150 http://amzn.to/2BIg6Zy
jr2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
stealthwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2007 View Post
If it's on its last legs, might be time to upgrade to a P150 http://amzn.to/2BIg6Zy
Thanks will check it out. I'd be surprised if it's on its lasts legs after less than 8 uses over the last 13 months.
Old 22-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Mcpx

Definitely an air lock. If there is air anywhere in the water supply, from tap to hose, to pw, to pw hose, to lance, it will display the exact symptoms you describe. Air gets in every time you disconnect anything, water comes out, air goes in.

Connect everything up but leave the power turned off and pull the trigger on the lance and let it run, it can take several minutes to bleed through but at some point it will sputter and spit, when it does, keep going. You can just disconnect the lance and let it run through if you don’t want to stand there. All pressure washers should be primed before you run the motor whenever you use them by running the water through before turning on the motor. Running a pw motor on air instead of water is generally bad news.

Personally I do it in stages, I hook up my hose and because it’s rather long I run that into my wash buckets to bleed it through. Then I connect the pw and because that’s another 10m hose I bleed that through too, sputters every time. Only when I am getting a constant stream of water do I turn on the power. If it’s not fully bled it will lose pressure pretty quickly and the machine will pulse or run constantly, so I have to power off and bleed some more.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mcpx For This Useful Post:
stealthwolf (22-02-2018)
Old 22-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
jr2007
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthwolf View Post
Thanks will check it out. I'd be surprised if it's on its lasts legs after less than 8 uses over the last 13 months.
After 8 uses it should definitely not be on the way out! Might be worth pursuing this with your supplier, an e140 should last more than a year of light use.
jr2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jr2007 For This Useful Post:
stealthwolf (22-02-2018)
Old 22-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
stealthwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post
All pressure washers should be primed before you run the motor whenever you use them by running the water through before turning on the motor. Running a pw motor on air instead of water is generally bad news.
Thanks. I'll give it a go and see what happens. I just follow the instructions which allow priming but I do it for a few seconds rather than minutes. I did ask about instructions on here as, when disconnecting, they state I should disconnect the water supply and allow the pressure washer to run until dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2007 View Post
After 8 uses it should definitely not be on the way out! Might be worth pursuing this with your supplier, an e140 should last more than a year of light use.
Bought it off Amazon in Dec 2016. No idea if Amazon would entertain a refund.
Old 22-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
kentphil
Sponge Jockey

I find on my Nilfisk it takes between 15-25 seconds depending on the water pressure at a given time of year locally to fully purge airlocks before turning on the power. It does'nt sound long until you stand and count to 25, then you get the idea of how long it may take.

I use a 50m hose reel, and that seems to back drain very well in storage and so creating the air lock issue.
kentphil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kentphil For This Useful Post:
stealthwolf (22-02-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
stealthwolf

Right, to update:
I went out in the drizzling rain as I had only a short time to test things out.

I set the PW up, removed the lance and trigger and turned the water on. I let the water run through the PW unimpeded. Tap to PW was a short (1m) hose. After about five minutes, I turned the PW on. It kicked into action and worked fine.

Next I attached the trigger half of the lance (I left off the nozzle part). Obviously the pressure washer stopped. I depressed the trigger and nothing happened. For about 15 seconds. Then it kicked into action like it normally should. I tried this a few times and it always took 15 seconds before it did anything. But it would work as long as I kept the trigger depressed. If I let go, paused for a bit (1 second, 5 seconds, 20 seconds, 1 minute) and then tried again, nothing would happen for 15 seconds before it would kick into action.

Finally, I added the nozzle half of the lance. The results were the same as above - depressed the trigger for 15 seconds. Nothing happens initially then the PW fires up. Doesn't matter how long in between releasing the trigger and pulling again, it would take 15 seconds before it would work.

So whilst I've established the PW works, it still doesn't work as it originally did.

Any thoughts?